Wait... Don't Laugh- Mtbr.com
    JJY
    mtbr member

Wait... Don't Laugh

I'm rebuilding a bike for my 8 y/o over the winter, fresh paint & modified suspension fork. I have a box of small braze-on and dropouts I picked up from a bike shop that close down years ago. I'm going to add a water bottle to the frame. Here is the stupid question... I don't have Ox/Ac at home just a Benzomatic for pipe work around the house. Will lead/tin solder work for a small non-structural bond? Please hold your calls to DYSF, the frame is not drilled yet. Sure I can Rivnut it but it is the winter and I'm board and need something to obsess over. I've done a lot of construction/demo work and never had copper pipe pull apart at the soldered joint.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    It will hold untill it doesn't.
    So yes on the torch for the bosses but no on the solder. Remember, you're hanging a pound and a half on it.
    Just ebay yourself up a little bit of 56%, you might even get lucky and find a little kit with a half oz of silver and a 2oz bottle of flux.
    You'll use it for other stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    We have no minimums. Want a half oz. silver and a quarter lb. of flux?
    No problem.
    www.CycleDesignUSA.com
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Bernzomatic torch will work for a braze on but the solder you would use on copper pipe won't.

Tim

Members who have read this thread: 0