Tube miter template- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Tube miter template

First time frame builder here. I am using the program tubemiter.exe for my templates. I entered my parameters correct. When I cut them out and tape them on the tube the two ends of the paper template donít line up. See photo below. The gap is about 1 - 2 mm wide. I feel like I did a fairly decent job filing but the two tubes do not meet up well (25.4 TT to 31.7 HT)
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tube miter template-98576094-157b-4a6a-9bb2-33d25cc30d7e.jpg  

mbtr member
    I've run in to that a bunch, seems to be normal. Maybe it's cuz of the thickness of the paper? Anyway, i always do the finishing bit with some hand files; 2 minutes with the right size file and you're good to go. In the end it doesn't matter what the paper says it's all about your fit-up.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    May 2011
    likely the print operation scaled the paper version slightly smaller. If you are printing from a PDF, be sure to select "print actual size" or set the scale to 100%.

So long as you didnt shorten both ends of the tube excessively, you should still be able to adjust the miter by eye for a good fit. Hold the joint with a lit white surface behind and look for light through any gaps to see where to file more.

mtbr member
    To finish a miter, I use a piece of tube the same Dia of the item being attached to, wrap emery tape to the tube and use file like strokes to take the high points off. Not too many strokes as you don't want an OS miter.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Malcolm View Post
    To finish a miter, I use a piece of tube the same Dia of the item being attached to, wrap emery tape to the tube and use file like strokes to take the high points off. Not too many strokes as you don't want an OS miter.

Eric
    This is really good advice. Thanks.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Specifically on the computer aspect of your situation, with unrelated tasks I have been duped by printers scaling things to, say, 99.5% or 100.5%.

Double check that @#$* because computers are dumb.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I've always had that bit of a gap. Make sure you wrap the paper really tight. To be honest though it won't make a lot of difference. How tight your mitres are is entirely up to you. Be very patient and be a perfectionist too.
    occasional cyclist