Ti welds crack and snap- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ti welds crack and snap

I guess it could happen to any Ti weld from any company???
    In one week:
    1- heard a squeak in the head set, thought it was my head set going, turned out to be a crack in the weld -headtube
    2- my seat had a squeak, then snapped off at the weld. Lucky I was just riding in my drive way checking my brakes

I ride cross country rigid and weight about 165lbs -

Just wondering if this is normal for all welded TI?
    Name:  crackheadset.JPG
Views: 476
Size:  23.4 KBTi welds crack and snap-dsc04027.jpgTi welds crack and snap-dsc04028.jpgTi welds crack and snap-dsc04029.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ti welds crack and snap-crackheadsetoutline.jpg  

Last edited by gonzo; 06-04-2019 at 07:08 AM.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Cheap, light, strong...pick one?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    I guess it could happen to any Ti weld from any company???
    In one week:
    1- heard a squeak in the head set, thought it was my head set going, turned out to be a crack in the weld -headtube
    2- my seat had a squeak, then snapped off at the weld. Lucky I was just riding in my drive way checking my brakes

I ride cross country rigid and weight about 165lbs -

Just wondering if this is normal for all welded TI?
    Name:  crackheadset.JPG
Views: 476
Size:  23.4 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04027.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	1255041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04028.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	1255039Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04029.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	1255037
    I can't see what's going on with that head tube, it would help to see the inside. You can clearly see evidence of bad backpurge on the seat post. It's a scaly mess in there and my guess is that whoever welded it didn't have it positioned correctly or didn't wait long enough. If it was no purge at all, you'd see the scale further into the tube. You can also see evidence of a cold weld on the last photo...on the left hand side there's a clear line that separates the weld bead from the actual tube...in fact you can pretty much see the whole mitered end of the tube...which means that it didn't get a root pass and the filler pass didn't get hot enough for proper penetration. My guess is the welder didn't want to key open the clamp tube by giving it proper heat.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles

slow
    When I took this one to a local builder to be repaired, he mentioned that he has stopped building frames with short head tubes that require "stacking" the top tube and down tube because he has seen several crack at this junction. Apparently this causes a different set of stresses than if the tubes were welded around the entire circumference. He now prefers to build with a taller head tube so that he can get full circumference welds around both the down tube and the top tube at their intersection with the head tube.

Ti welds crack and snap-img_20180822_151226_771.jpg

Frame Building Moderator
    Chi-Ti?

I agree with Sean, this is a purge issue almost certainly, though we can't tell without looking inside the tubes on the failed frame. Seatpost shows obvious contamination.

Short head tubes are a generally bad idea too, of course.

-Walt

Frame Building Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    When I took this one to a local builder to be repaired...
    That is not safely repairable, unless by "repair" you mean replacing the entire front end of the bike... did someone actually weld those cracks and give you back the frame? If so, stop riding it right now.

-Walt

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    That is not safely repairable, unless by "repair" you mean replacing the entire front end of the bike... did someone actually weld those cracks and give you back the frame? If so, stop riding it right now.

-Walt
    He drilled holes at the end of the cracks and then welded. I've got about 1000 trail miles on the bike with no issues since then, but keeping a close eye on it.

Ti welds crack and snap-img_20180831_172639_708.jpg

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    He drilled holes at the end of the cracks and then welded. I've got about 1000 trail miles on the bike with no issues since then, but keeping a close eye on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180831_172639_708.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	1255135
    That's all well and good and I'm glad it hasn't come apart on you but the underlying problem hasn't been addressed. The surface has been patched and that's it. We don't know why it cracked but it's a safe bet that either there's some internal contamination or there was a gap where the TT and DT joined the HT and it wasn't fully welded. Laying down more filler doesn't fix it and it's a matter of time before it cracks again. I wrote a multipage post on MTBR a number of years ago and am not inclined to do it again. If you're interested, maybe search for it and get a little education.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    That's all well and good and I'm glad it hasn't come apart on you but the underlying problem hasn't been addressed. The surface has been patched and that's it. We don't know why it cracked but it's a safe bet that either there's some internal contamination or there was a gap where the TT and DT joined the HT and it wasn't fully welded. Laying down more filler doesn't fix it and it's a matter of time before it cracks again. I wrote a multipage post on MTBR a number of years ago and am not inclined to do it again. If you're interested, maybe search for it and get a little education.
    Thank you. I'll look for the post.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    I did what I said I wasn't going to do and posted here: https://forums.mtbr.com/california-n...l#post14117793 . I'd absolutely welcome any builder discussion.

Frame Building Moderator
    I would have refused to do that repair, personally. Good luck, and yes, keep a very close eye on it.

-Walt

Frame Building Moderator
    Wait, you've had this thing repaired, and ridden it a lot since then, and you post a thread now?!?

I'm curious as to why you decided to post this here today.

-Walt

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Wait, you've had this thing repaired, and ridden it a lot since then, and you post a thread now?!?

I'm curious as to why you decided to post this here today.

-Walt
    I am not the OP. I just jumped in because I saw that the damage to my frame was similar to what the OP posted.