Temperature processing for 7005 series aluminum?- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

Temperature processing for 7005 series aluminum?

I've called around a bit locally and
    1) Nobody wants to touch a 1 bike frame job.
    2) Firing up the oven is like $200-400, then it's a decent amount more to process the frame.

Since I only want to do a frame or two as an experiment (and I don't have any friends with pizza ovens, bummer!) I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone out there knows of a place that will toss a frame in with a larger 7005 (bike frames or otherwise) batch for a reasonable price. No need for it to be local/UT based, I can just ship the frame and have it shipped back and still be saving a fortune.

Ideas? PVD, who (if anyone) did you end up using back a decade or so ago?

-Walt

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    2) Firing up the oven is like $200-400, then it's a decent amount more to process the frame.

Since I only want to do a frame or two as an experiment (and I don't have any friends with pizza ovens, bummer!) I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone out there knows of a place that will toss a frame in with a larger 7005 (bike frames or otherwise) batch for a reasonable price. No need for it to be local/UT based, I can just ship the frame and have it shipped back and still be saving a fortune.

Ideas? PVD, who (if anyone) did you end up using back a decade or so ago?

-Walt
    Did you try Yess BMX here in BC?

YESSBMX

Might be a pain in the butt shipping back - n - forth over the border.

If my memory is correct they built some of the Cove frames over the years.

mtbr member
    You should contact one of the smaller domestic brands and see if you can put it in with one of their batches. Like just call Toma.... I mean maybe Yet.... Or maybe Inten*...

Oh, maybe not such a good idea after all.

*I think they were actually 6061 when they made Al bikes

But seriously, what about Durango Bike Company or Guerilla Gravity? Might be 6000 series, but worth a shot. I'm guessing you want to use 7005 for availability?

mtbr member
    A question here, simply because I have not looked up the spec for 7005 recently.
    I recall that 7005 was produced so that the production process did not require a heat treatment after welding. Have I got that right?

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post

Since I only want to do a frame or two as an experiment (and I don't have any friends with pizza ovens, bummer!)
    A large oven for pottery might be big enough, they often have decent programmable temperature controls

Moderator Moderator
    Correct, but "heat treating" is a different thing than "aging", which 7005 does require. You don't full anneal it like 6061, but you do need to do about 6 hours of baking at relatively low temperatures (or wait a long, long time).

6061 requires a full (900F or something) annealing/heat treating, alignment work (because it comes out of alignment in that process) and then an aging treatment. So it's a bit impractical unless you are doing big batches or live next door to the temperature processing place.

I suppose you could do 6061, have it annealed/heat treated, get the frame back and align it, and then take it back for aging. For one-off frames the cost and annoyance factor are both going to add up quickly.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Walt, do you know what the heat schedule is for 7005? I know the required heat goes down if you age it longer, I just don't know what the graph looks like.

I'm in the middle of building a powdercoat oven, and I'm hoping it'll go up to 600 F. I know it will definitely go up to 450, and probably 500. Once it's done, I can do a test and see how hot it gets, and you're welcome to send one my way for post weld aging. That project is easily a month or two out from being finished, however. Not sure what your timeline is.
    Myth Cycles handbuilt bike frames
    Durango, CO
    http://www.mythcycles.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ok, just found this:

http://www.ahrensbicycles.com/Alumin...08%20NAHBS.pdf

Looks like the schedule is 6 hours at 200F, then 4 hours at 320? I'm not actually sure if it's one then the other, or one OR the other. That page is just a presentation, so not super detailed.

If you're playing around with making a full sus Alu frame (like I'm thinking of doing) You could probably fit the front and rear triangles into a regular oven. Maybe not the one at home, but there are always free/cheap ones on CL.

Just a thought. Either way, my oven will definitely do this once it's up and running.
    Myth Cycles handbuilt bike frames
    Durango, CO
    http://www.mythcycles.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Are Erichimedes' findings similar to yours Walt? If so, I've got access to a bike frame sized powdercoat oven.