Is the T47 BB standard catching on with small framebuilders?- Mtbr.com
    650b me

Is the T47 BB standard catching on with small framebuilders?

Who's built with it? Has it become your standard? What do you like about it? Dislikes?

Moderator Moderator
    I don't generally use it. No point for steel bikes. I think it's pretty popular for ti?

-Walt

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Enduro was showing new bbs at the hand built show. And someone there had a threading too as well but I don't remember who. What's the point? A well made pf30 she'll works great with a high end bb and bsa threaded she's can take 30mm cranks with the right bb. T47 just seems like a solution that isn't needed.

650b me
    I can think of 2 reasons why T47:

1. The 2" OD allows for the use of larger dia. down tubes without needing to ovalize the tube.

2. Only an amateur brazer would think of this, but the larger OD of the shell would give me more breathing room for cleaning up all of the fillets at this junction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    I can think of 2 reasons why T47:

1. The 2" OD allows for the use of larger dia. down tubes without needing to ovalize the tube.

2. Only an amateur brazer would think of this, but the larger OD of the shell would give me more breathing room for cleaning up all of the fillets at this junction.
    To answer the first, yes I see where you are coming from, however, ovalizing the DT is not a negative as it helps stop the BB from rotating when the pedal is at 3 o'clock.

2. In the process of assembly and the ST is brazed first, some of the braze of this joint then covered by the DT as it wraps the whole BB shell plus some ST. I guess this is where the Dremel becomes useful. Good point though. Always a difficult area to clean up.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Also allows internal routing through the BB shell which is very tight on standard BSA shell. I know internal routing is stupid but, a T47 helps accomplish it.

Bike Freak
    I always thought they would be a great option for an eccentric bb.

Moderator Moderator
    Kinda small for an eccentric, though, no? The Niner has 16mm of throw or something like that and it's 55mm OD. Drop 8mm off of that and you're down to the need-a-half-link range if you get unlucky. I'm not sure how you'd deal with the threads either.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Kinda small for an eccentric, though, no? The Niner has 16mm of throw or something like that and it's 55mm OD. Drop 8mm off of that and you're down to the need-a-half-link range if you get unlucky. I'm not sure how you'd deal with the threads either.

-Walt
    The niner PF30 EBB has the same adjustment range as the full size version (17mm) and it works in a PF30 shell. It should work in a T47 shell just the same but I've not ever seen it tried. The only downside to the PF30 version is that it has integrated bearings so you can only use 24mm cranksets (if you see that as a problem, I personally dont).