Is a steel frame a steel frame, a steel frame?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coffeegeek2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    280

    Is a steel frame a steel frame, a steel frame?

    x-post. I know, a stupid question, but are most steel frames pretty much comparable in stregnth? I know there are different factors, as far as material, and thickness, but in xc riding would any steel frame make do? I wanted to biuld a steel hardtail for xc riding. I eventually want an on one, but as a budget build with most of the parts being spares I had in the garage, I bought for $40 otd, a schwinn frontier steel hardtail frame. The whole build cost about $150. The welds look good, and the frame looks and feels sturdy. My concern is how well it will hold up. So what makes this frame different from any other(non custom) steel hardtail?
    Last edited by coffeegeek2112; 10-20-2007 at 11:54 AM.

  2. #2
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeegeek2112
    x-post. I know, a stupid question, but are most steel frames pretty much comparable in stregnth? I know there are different factors, as far as material, and thickness, but in xc riding would any steel frame make do? I wanted to biuld a steel hardtail for xc riding. I eventually want an on one, but as a budget build with most of the parts being spares I had in the garage, I bought for $40 otd, a schwinn frontier steel hardtail frame. The whole build cost about $150. The welds look good, and the frame looks and feels sturdy. My concern is how well it will hold up. So what makes this frame different from any other(non custom) steel hardtail?
    No. The specific tubing--alloy, wall thickness, diameter--and how it is used can be used to make everything from an ultra-light mini-BMX frame for a 50 pound rider to a tandem for 300 pound riders and loaded touring (and beyond).

    It is not a one-size fits all material. No material used for bicycles is, either. The same principals apply. The material needs to be chosen and designed for the specific use intended for the frame and price point.

    No idea what your frame is but it is probably a budget bike. Heavy, cheap but fairly durable.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coffeegeek2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    280
    Thanks for the response. Here are some pictures. It has a sticker that says cro-mo hi tens.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeegeek2112
    Thanks for the response. Here are some pictures. It has a sticker that says cro-mo hi tens.
    Cheap and heavy. The complete bike probably sold for ~$250. It is also likely to be 5-8 years old. The new version is aluminum.

    Just ride it and have fun.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  5. #5
    Slow and steady
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    499
    Looks like a good bike for $150, it should serve you well.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coffeegeek2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    Looks like a good bike for $150, it should serve you well.
    Well, I spent a total of $40 on the frame from e-bay, so I cant complain. I thought any steel frame will have the same feel, or ride effect(smoother then alum). As I found out from the other post, this thing will ride like an alum ht. Not was I was going for, but like I said, I cant complain. I really do like the look of the frame, so its not to bad of a disappointment.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,857
    I mean I guess you could say its $150... but if I had to buy all the parts from ebay... dang =P

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coffeegeek2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuodo
    I mean I guess you could say its $150... but if I had to buy all the parts from ebay... dang =P

    I had most of the parts laying around already. I just needed the frame, rear der, and brake levers. If I dont like it, I am just going to replace the frame, thats why I dont feel to bad about this.

  9. #9
    i also unicycle
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,043
    actually the new bike sold for $220(or has the last few years) we sold a ton of them because they're cheaper than all hell, with very basic parts and a rigid fork(sus fork comes on the $260 model though). other than being pretty heavy, i bet it rides okay.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.