Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Is a steel frame a steel frame, a steel frame?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  markf 
#1 · (Edited)
x-post. I know, a stupid question, but are most steel frames pretty much comparable in stregnth? I know there are different factors, as far as material, and thickness, but in xc riding would any steel frame make do? I wanted to biuld a steel hardtail for xc riding. I eventually want an on one, but as a budget build with most of the parts being spares I had in the garage, I bought for $40 otd, a schwinn frontier steel hardtail frame. The whole build cost about $150. The welds look good, and the frame looks and feels sturdy. My concern is how well it will hold up. So what makes this frame different from any other(non custom) steel hardtail?

#2 ·
coffeegeek2112 said:
x-post. I know, a stupid question, but are most steel frames pretty much comparable in stregnth? I know there are different factors, as far as material, and thickness, but in xc riding would any steel frame make do? I wanted to biuld a steel hardtail for xc riding. I eventually want an on one, but as a budget build with most of the parts being spares I had in the garage, I bought for $40 otd, a schwinn frontier steel hardtail frame. The whole build cost about $150. The welds look good, and the frame looks and feels sturdy. My concern is how well it will hold up. So what makes this frame different from any other(non custom) steel hardtail?
No. The specific tubing--alloy, wall thickness, diameter--and how it is used can be used to make everything from an ultra-light mini-BMX frame for a 50 pound rider to a tandem for 300 pound riders and loaded touring (and beyond).

It is not a one-size fits all material. No material used for bicycles is, either. The same principals apply. The material needs to be chosen and designed for the specific use intended for the frame and price point.

No idea what your frame is but it is probably a budget bike. Heavy, cheap but fairly durable.

#6 ·
Tony said:
Looks like a good bike for $150, it should serve you well.
Well, I spent a total of $40 on the frame from e-bay, so I cant complain. I thought any steel frame will have the same feel, or ride effect(smoother then alum). As I found out from the other post, this thing will ride like an alum ht. Not was I was going for, but like I said, I cant complain. I really do like the look of the frame, so its not to bad of a disappointment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.