Spam: Fork blades for segmented forks- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

Spam: Fork blades for segmented forks

I get questions all the time about what I use for fork blades on segmented forks. Until recently, the answer was "my massive stash of NOS True Temper single butted 1.2/.8 seat tubes" and "they're not for sale, sorry".

Last year (unfortunately before I was in touch with Vari-Wall about this) I had Fairing (supplier to Nova and others) make me a batch of fork blades, and I'm offering them for sale now that I've done some building with them to make sure they work the way I want.

Here are the specs:
    - 1 1/8"/28.6mm OD
    - 65/50/385mm x 1.2/taper/0.8mm
    - 4130N (not heat treated)

These are appropriate for forks up to 510mm length or so (though you could cheat and raise your crown race up higher on the steerer if you really wanted to go crazy) or as short as you want, and I regularly use them for riders up to 220 pounds with any brake configuration (if using a disc tab, I recommend the Willits style mounts but I've done them with other styles as well without problems). You can safely add anything cage/bottle/etc mounting points.

TIG, fillet, or bi-lam, no problem. You can do anything you want with them. Keep in mind that the thick section is only 65mm so if you're making a massive fillet or a huge bi-lam lug thing you should make sure you're leaving some room for the HAZ and be confident in your heat control/speed.

Blades are $30/pair. I'm happy to give you a special deal if you need 5 or more. Shipping $5 in the US, more (email me) elsewhere. Contact me with questions or to order.

Order here:
    28.6 1.2/0.8 fork blades for segmented forks

-Walt
    Last edited by Walt; 04-30-2017 at 09:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Sah-WEET! I have used the TT seat tubes for blades on a few segmented forks on your recommendation, and they've worked flawlessly. I was wondering where to go next. Thanks!

Moderator Moderator
    Yeah, these are nicer (though not much different in butting) just because they are a constant diameter the whole way rather than bulge butted. Easier mitering and IMO a nicer look. Also much easier to do bi-lam stuff with if that's your thing.

You can also bend them if you want (or roll through a roller) as they are the same diameter the whole time. Make sure you're solid on bending .8mm wall tubing first, though.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    This is awesome, I've been thinking a lot about tubing options for segmented forks recently, so the timing is great. I will be in touch.

Walt, would you say these might be appropriate for a 5" fatbike fork? Maybe up the wall to .065 on the crown segments?

Moderator Moderator
    Eric, I think .049"x1.125" would be fine for the crown segments (that's what I've used for fatbike forks in the past) but bumping up to .058" or .065" won't hurt anything, it's not like the crown is where most of the weight is. I will say that if you see a failure on this kind of fork it generally will not be at the crown, it'll be on the blades just below the crown/in the HAZ.

The blades themselves don't care if you're building a fatbike or a road fork, you just need to consider the axle to crown, rider size/terrain, and desired fork characteristics.

In general these are intended for use on longer/burlier rigid forks (ie 29er, fatbike, plus bike, bikepacking) but you can do whatever you want with them. They are safe for anything up to aggressive XC/trail bikes for pretty big riders, assuming you do a good job with your joinery and don't blow holes in them or massively overheat.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    The blades themselves don't care if you're building a fatbike or a road fork, you just need to consider the axle to crown, rider size/terrain, and desired fork characteristics.
    That does make sense, the only thing different is the length of the crown segments. I'd also like to make a 500mm a-c boost fork as well and it sounds like these will lend themselves to that. Thanks as always, Walt.

Moderator Moderator
    Buy 'em here:
    28.6 1.2/0.8 fork blades for segmented forks

Note that I'm charging $5/pair for shipping. If you want a bunch let me know so I can get you a cheaper shipping price.

Thanks!

-Walt

mtbr member
    Blades bent up nicely.

Spam: Fork blades for segmented forks-capture.jpg
    NOTHING WORKS LIKE CLOCKWORK

www.clockworkbikes.com

Moderator Moderator
    Looks great, Joel!

-Walt