So Cal builders- Mtbr.com

Thread: So Cal builders

mtbr member

So Cal builders

Was wondering if anyone knows of any frame manufacturers or builders in the LA or OC area's, or components manufacturers that have some sort of apprenticeship program?

Old school BMXer
    I know a lot of young guys have started at S&M Bikes, but I don't know if they actually have an apprenticeship program. It wouldn't hurt to give Chris a call.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Russ Denny is in Hemet. If he's open to doing it, that would be an Ivy League education given he was trained by Moulton. The business can be tough though, so before you go down that road, you need a job that is paying the rent so you can go learn if he's open to the idea.

Even if Mr. Denny is open to the idea, joining alloys is a craft. It will take years to learn and most people won't "get" what you are doing. After that, you've got to learn how to make the business work.

All of it is worthwhile. Just be aware it's a serious commitment.

Or, you could follow the industry and go work for KHS or Felt or .... reselling OEM carbon and alloy product. Not easy to do either...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by angry_young_and_poor View Post
    Was wondering if anyone knows of any frame manufacturers or builders in the LA or OC area's, or components manufacturers that have some sort of apprenticeship program?
    Nobody has any formal appenticeship programs anymore. You just have to pound the pavement.

S&M has something from time to time but it may just be best to start work there as something other than a fabricator and work your way up. Get some basic skills in anything from web work to basic TIG welding and the like at the community college and you will have so much more to offer any perspective employer.
    Also, you might have to get out of that dump called LA. Not much going on there bike wise because of the costs of doing business are so high so if you love it and the job is in podunk no-where you will go to podunk.

I will say this. I have an new apprentice starting with me in just about 10 days and really, the best way to be the helper/apprentice is just show your ass up at whomever's door and bring beer, offer to clean the floors, rinse, lather, repeat and eventually they will see that you are serious and give you a shot. Can't tell you how many times someone I never met before came by once and never did I see them again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dbohemian View Post
    I have an new apprentice starting with me in just about 10 days and really, the best way to be the helper/apprentice is just show your ass up at whomever's door and bring beer, offer to clean the floors, rinse, lather, repeat and eventually they will see that you are serious and give you a shot. Can't tell you how many times someone I never met before came by once and never did I see them again.
    +1

That's why you've got to have another job to make ends meet and then show up and keep showing up. If it works out, you will need another job (or the Bank of Mom and Dad) for a long time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Ted Wojcik just posted a request for an apprentice yesterday on the framelist....Its in New Hampshire. Drop him a note and apply. You can be angry, young and poor just as easily there as in So-cal.

Members who have read this thread: 0