For Sale: Complete 8pins XL seatpost $300- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

For Sale: Complete 8pins XL seatpost $300

You know you want it (I know I don't at this point).

Complete XL (216mm drop) Eightpins seatpost:
    -Includes (super weird metric 9!) mounting hardware, seal/sleeve, "labor tube" (top seal mount) and remote, as well as the post itself.
    -Brand new/never used. Sleeve has some rub marks from me inserting it into a frame to test the fit, but is functionally perfect. Labor tube/seal mount has 2 very small (aesthetic only) dents from my overly forceful removal of it when it became stuck during a test fit.

Full disclosure: despite being *extremely* careful, I was unable to build a frame in which this post would work well. The bushing sleeve requires a SUPER precise fit (it is <0.5mm wall aluminum that you could easily crush with your fingers) to allow the post to both move freely and not have a ton of play. The lower mounting hardware is... really weird (who uses metric 9?) and I also struggled with that a bit, but that part is doable if you're just more determined than me and/or more motivated.

A steal at $300 - you basically can't get this item (it took me a year!) in the US at all, at any price.

I'm happy to offer what advice/tech support I can for folks who are interested in trying this out. I did learn a lot about what *not* to do in the process of messing with it (and in the process of trying to get it in the first place, which was 12 months of frustration - perhaps if it hadn't taken so long I would have been willing to try harder to make it work).

Feel free to email or post here with questions.

Thanks!

-Walt

Out spokin'
    Sounds like the prefect post for Just J's new Ultimate Warrior frame.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Moderator Moderator
    Ha! I won't be touching one of these ever again, let's just put it that way.

-Walt

mtbr member
    would you care to share some pics of what you ended up with? I was very interested in this a while ago, your experience makes me....hesitant!

Moderator Moderator
    Do you mean pics of the frame (now reconfigured to take a normal 34.9mm dropper) or the post/parts?

Honestly, it reminds me of the BB30 standard that is now basically abandoned - great on paper, not so good when you need to hit ultra precise tolerances IRL to make the part work correctly. But I never got to the point of actually trying it out on the bike, maybe it's just fine.

I think the integrated dropper idea has merit. But it need to be done using much more robust parts (make the bushing sleeve out of something thicker than a beer can) and normal standards (ie, use M8 for the lower mounting bolt, not freaking M9 that you did your own weird custom threading on).

Someone with more patience than me could pull it off, I'm sure.

-Walt

mtbr member
    the frame with post in situ would be ideal - yep!

i'm guessing you have to use a pretty muckle seat tube to make it work and im curious if you used a bent seat tube (like a lot of your other mob builds...) and how you integrated the bottom mount with that.

I had contacted the guy who designed it about the potential for getting hold of one of the post systems ... that was right after they were 'unveiled' so details were not abundant. the super thin bushing and M9 is strange given the raison d'Ítre....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I was thinking there has to be a way to make an integrated version of a gravity dropper. Simple and robust. But people likely wouldn't go for the none stealth aspect of it.

Moderator Moderator
    Here's the frame https://www.instagram.com/p/BnPDZ6CB...n-by=waltworks
    And just the front end: https://www.instagram.com/p/BnKECQph...n-by=waltworks

The seat tube is 1.5", so yes, very big. It looks a little weird, I guess. But not really too noticeable.

The seat tube can't be curved, so it's offset and lands on the DT. No problem there, really (picture does not show the brace I later put in to the BB shell area on the back). I never finished making the lower pin/bolt fitting as I ran into the M9 problem and threw up my hands in disgust. So I sealed off one side (the seat tube was drilled in advance) and put a normal stealth dropper port on the other side.

The frame has been modified now to accept a normal dropper, so I can't provide a picture of the post installed, sorry.

-Walt

mtbr member
    veeeeeery interesting! thanks for the links...somehow I missed the detail on your 'gram feed.... I take it the lower bolt isn't modifiable with a eccentric shock bush type of set up?...cool. live and learn!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    veeeeeery interesting! thanks for the links...somehow I missed the detail on your 'gram feed.... I take it the lower bolt isn't modifiable with a eccentric shock bush type of set up?...cool. live and learn!
    The lower bolt could be done all sorts of ways, but given the uncertainty about the paper thin bushing shim, neither the customer or I really believed in the whole idea anymore and rather than put any effort into making something from scratch (which, as you say, is totally doable) we just bailed on the idea. Straw that broke the camel's back, and all.

You have to understand that I spent _12 months_ obtaining the post in the first place, so I was/am already pretty frustrated with 8pins. Their product apparently works fine for Liteville, but it just got to be too much work to be worth it for me.

-Walt

mtbr member
    understandable, Walt. it seems highly strange to have such a thin bushing! and it wouldnt give you confidence in terms of after sales...kudos for being curious enough to take it on in the first place!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    ... I did learn a lot about what *not* to do in the process of messing with it (and in the process of trying to get it in the first place, which was 12 months of frustration - perhaps if it hadn't taken so long I would have been willing to try harder to make it work).
    A true iconoclast, it seems like you've employed opposite of the sunk cost fallacy.

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.