Replacement for True Temper tubing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Replacement for True Temper tubing?

I've used up all of my True Temper tubing. Who's manufacturing a good replacement?
    Cheers,

Moderator Moderator
    Vari-Wall, sort of. Maybe.

If you tell us *what* TT tubes you were using we can be more helpful (ie, if it was the Verus stuff, replace with anything you want, if it was OXplat, replace with 853, etc).

-Walt

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I was using a combination of a heavy wall Versus seat tube and HOX top and down tubes. I've seen a few of the production frames in 853 broken at the welds so I would like to stay away from them. Also I would like the dealer to be easy to work with. I was unaware of Vari-Wall I'll have to look into the "sort of. Maybe" thing.
    Thanks
    Ken

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tool addict View Post
    I was using a combination of a heavy wall Versus seat tube and HOX top and down tubes. I've seen a few of the production frames in 853 broken at the welds so I would like to stay away from them. Also I would like the dealer to be easy to work with. I was unaware of Vari-Wall I'll have to look into the "sort of. Maybe" thing.
    Thanks
    Ken
    Do you mean the HOX2 (heat treated/nicest stuff back in 1992 or so) or HOXplat (air hardening)?

If you saw stuff broken at the welds it had nothing to do with the tubes. That's just bad welding.

Sounds like you've been out of the loop for a while. Check out a few of the usual suspect suppliers and spend a few hours browsing tubes.

-W

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I believe it was OXplat the last stuff they were making. They had nice selection of sizes for mountain bikes and I liked the made in USA thing.

Anyway wasn't intending to bash any tubing like the 853 thing I just think it's was too hard/ brittle or maybe just too thin for those particular uses. One of the frames I referenced was one I had bought and the tubing cracked out around the head tube after a couple years of hard use, I'm not a little guy and I have had more cases than most lawyers. I couldn't find the pictures but the cracks ran though the tubes (all three of them) away from the welds that all looked very well made and flawless.

I'm not a metallurgist by any stretch but I play with it some, as I also make custom knives and it's pretty cool that you can take a piece of steel and the same steel depending on how you heat it and cool it will break like a piece of glass when you drop it on the floor or be made so you can bend it over 90 degrees and still keep an edge.

Anyway sounds like it's time to grab a beer and begin the search for the perfect tubes because not all bikes should be made from carbon and what's cooler than a new bike that's made to fit you perfectly.

Cheers
    Ken

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    If you saw stuff broken at the welds it had nothing to do with the tubes. That's just bad welding.
    -W
    That's a gross generalization, even without the follow up response. Tubes can be bad out of the box. Hopefully good builders catch them but some times it's unavoidable. There's so many things that can cause a frame failure and to chalk it up to one thing without any evidence is well, armature. You know better.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    That's a gross generalization, even without the follow up response. Tubes can be bad out of the box. Hopefully good builders catch them but some times it's unavoidable. There's so many things that can cause a frame failure and to chalk it up to one thing without any evidence is well, armature. You know better.
    Not at all. The welds themselves should never fail. Now, the tubing *near* the weld failing can happen for all sorts of reasons, but your actual weld bead should not come apart. It sounds like OP meant that the tubing failed near the welds, but that's not what he wrote originally. To be fair I suppose "at the welds" could be interpreted differently by different people.

For what it's worth, too, 853 and OXplatinum are the same stuff, just made/marketed by different companies. If you think 853 is too brittle, or whatever you've decided, then you should steer clear of lots of other air-hardening tubes too.

The failure was probably just due to tubes being too thin and/or many "cases" by a big dude over the years, assuming that means landing flat/missing the transition on a jump or drop. An 853 frame is *probably* an XC bike so it just might have been asked to do something it wasn't intended for.

I'm confused about how my comment relates to electric motor coils, though.

-W

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    For what it is worth, I ordered some in-stock tubes from Vari-Wall a few weeks ago, they never sent it. They didn't charge my credit card, but they also never followed up. My guess is this material source is going away.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eMcK View Post
    For what it is worth, I ordered some in-stock tubes from Vari-Wall a few weeks ago, they never sent it. They didn't charge my credit card, but they also never followed up. My guess is this material source is going away.
    That's strange, I ordered some in stock tubes a month ago and had everything a week later. The order was updated promptly with shipping info and all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Moderator
    When I call them, I get a nice lady receptionist on the phone who is happy to transfer me over to the bike tubing department. Then the phone rings... and rings... and goes to voicemail. Which is full, and has been for months. Emails of course go unanswered.

It's bizarre. Wouldn't the receptionist just tell me nobody is there anymore if they were closing shop? On the other hand, wouldn't they at least bother to answer emails and phone calls if they wanted people to keep buying their stuff?

-Walt

Now you cant seem to get a living human being to answer, a canned recording which redirects to another recording.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

mtbr member
    I guess I'll consider myself lucky I was able to get what I needed a month ago.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    That's sad to hear. They were beautiful tubes and I always got a nice note in the box. It's been a few months since I last ordered from them though.

mtbr member
    I ordered a downtube from them yesterday. It was in stock, we'll see what happens.