A question for Walt- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

A question for Walt

Walt, in the last FAQ item you say: "If you're not buying a jig, and you don't want to build without one, Dr. Welby has done a great writeup on using 8020 extrusion to build your own:"

Do you mean this to be read as "and you (personally) don't want to build without one" or as "nobody should build without a jig." It's a bit ambiguous as phrased.

The reason I'm curious is that a long-term employer of mine built hundreds if not thousands of frames from very basic (hi-ten) models upwards without using jigs - except for forks - until quite recently. The two builders didn't like setting up the jigs and felt they got in the way. Now they do use Marchetti tooling for some of the more repetitive operations, but I'm sure they'd just as soon build one-offs in the vice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    It means if you can't or won't spend thousands on one of the fine bits of tooling available to purchase but you feel that you don't want to relate the framebuilding process without a set of parameters defined by a fixture then here is a link to a man who has detailed an economical way to do just this.
    Thats all.

I think that there should be another list in the FAQ's for all the framebuilding debates that have allready been discussed ad-nauseum.

Thanks,
    Walt

Frame Building Moderator

You can build just fine without one

I'm sorry for the confusion, I simply meant that if you DO want to use a jig, and you don't want to buy one, build one like Dr. W did.

Jigs are great to speed up the building process, but they aren't necessary or mandatory.

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    Walt, in the last FAQ item you say: "If you're not buying a jig, and you don't want to build without one, Dr. Welby has done a great writeup on using 8020 extrusion to build your own:"

Do you mean this to be read as "and you (personally) don't want to build without one" or as "nobody should build without a jig." It's a bit ambiguous as phrased.

The reason I'm curious is that a long-term employer of mine built hundreds if not thousands of frames from very basic (hi-ten) models upwards without using jigs - except for forks - until quite recently. The two builders didn't like setting up the jigs and felt they got in the way. Now they do use Marchetti tooling for some of the more repetitive operations, but I'm sure they'd just as soon build one-offs in the vice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks, Walt! Just curious what your view was. One of the builders in question is in his 80s and now only builds forks - tomorrow is his one day this month. :-)

Gabe.....
    Thanks, Walt! Just curious what your view was. One of the builders in question is in his 80s and now only builds forks - tomorrow is his one day this month. :-)
    I know where you better be tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokebikes View Post
    I know where you better be tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ditto..
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I wasn't able to be there, but his son was so all should have been well!

Gabe.....
    I wasn't able to be there, but his son was so all should have been well!
    Just sayin' if you know somebody with that much experience and your on this forum where sharing is the order........please, take a camera and check him out......at 80 years old, that resource is......well, you know what I mean.
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Okay, now I see what you were getting at; I'm afraid it didn't make sense to me before. It will be a while before I have another chance as things are pretty quiet here now that winter is starting. I will attempt to visit next time, but not sure how he'd feel about photos; it might not be acceptable.

mtbr member
    The first 2 bikes I made were done on the smooth concrete floor and I used bricks to hold the tubes together for tacking. The rears were hard and used axles and old wheels. It was a pain in the butt.
    I then made paralleled 1" square tube jigs with V-Blocks. Then made radiused AL blocks at a friends shop, Richard Cunningham. He let me use his shop in turn I did some labor things for him.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.geckocycles.com[/SIGPIC]

There is but one rule in life. "First one to the finish line wins!"
    VVA

mtbr member
    One of the most valuable tools I made was a 1" square tool steel bar with a 3/4"Dia. SS rod bored through for QR and ends turned down to fit dropouts. Slit the bar for a pinch bolt and inserted 3/4" axle. I did all this at Chris Kings shop. You can lay the bar against HT and ST to check for twist and extend it to the rear for rear end alignment. Clamp it in the drops and check alignment and use to support various fixtures for bridges and canti bosses. It is stout enough to do rear alignments too.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.geckocycles.com[/SIGPIC]

There is but one rule in life. "First one to the finish line wins!"
    VVA