Q: The Fusion Pass- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Q: The Fusion Pass

Folks,

After watching Zanc + Jody's video on welding TI I got to wondering if doing a fusion pass on steel would be beneficial in any way.

Other than doing a fusion pass on welding coupons when I started learning I've never needed to do it --- but I don't fab stuff for a living and certainly wouldn't call myself a welder.

Thoughts?

Frame Building Moderator
    Steel behaves very differently than ti in terms of viscosity when liquid (fusing it without filler is MUCH easier), and you're *usually* also welding much thinner wall tubes. Fusion passes are a recipe for blowing holes in the tubes, for no practical benefit.

That said, IMO fusion passes on ti are kinda silly too, but the "perfect stack of dimes" look is much easier to achieve if you do it that way.

-Walt

Plays with tools
    If you can't weld tubing that's literally as thick as a heavy sheet of paper in a single pass, you need to learn to weld. There's no structural reason to weld thin wall steel or titanium tubing in more than one pass. Generally speaking, the less heat you can put into a weldment while getting sufficient penetration the better off you are.

Frame Building Moderator
    Meh, it's SOP with ti and it seems like it works fine. I'm sure you could do it with steel too and unless you were a hack, it would be fine too. Is it desirable to heat stuff up and cool it down twice rather than once? Of course not. Is anyone going to freak out about perfect pretty welds on a painted steel frame? No, probably not.

There's a reason I don't do ti for people, and it's because a large portion of ti people are kinda nuts. I've done pretty decent looking one-pass welding on ti, but nobody would pay for it. I'd have to go wash back over everything just like every other builder so that the welds look "right" to customers, because a big chunk of what the ti bike buyer is looking for is that specific weld look. On steel nobody cares as long as it looks decent and doesn't come apart.

-Walt

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks guys. Makes sense.