PVD Pre-NAHBS Confessional- Mtbr.com
    pvd
    mtbr member

PVD Pre-NAHBS Confessional

I leave for Florida tomorrow morning to visit my father, then I fly to Austin for NAHBS. Today is the last day in the office for a week and a half. Nothing I can make or cut. Bla....

I've been a bad framebuilder. I was really planning on having two very nice bikes done and posted online prior to NAHBS but that really didn't come together. I wasn't really into grinding at steel or fussing with files, emory, and flux at all in the past month although I have two bikes completely solid modeled and ready to make. Even the fancy new headtubes got finished but nothing more.

I was just way more into being a designer, a machinist, and a geek recently. Since I'm not making money making frames, I figured I could just let myself go and do what I felt like doing.

What I did instead:

* Revised suspension fluid mix chart based on the Refutas Equation (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscos...nds_of_liquids) instead of simple perportionallities. The difference is slight but you gotta do the math right or you shouldn't bother at all.

https://www.pvdwiki.com/images/7/7f/..._Mix_Chart.pdf

* PVD Magic Ring for 2x10. A fun little design and machining excircize. I'm just tired of lame bash/guide rings and figure I should do it right from now on.

https://www.peterverdone.com/?p=448

* PVD Modular Throttle System for Sportbike w/ Variable Rate

This was a major project and produced fantastically succesful results. It looks great but works even better. I'm a pretty aggressive sport rider and throttles and gearing are pretty darn important to me besides springs and tires.

https://www.peterverdone.com/?p=423

* PVD Cleat Shim

I casually sponsor one of the local rising stars in Marin. 17 years old and fast as hell going up or down the mountain. One issue he was having was that one leg is longer than the other from knee to ankle. Solution, cleat shim. Problem, getting back in fast and solid in rough sections and during races.

https://www.peterverdone.com/?p=423

Last night I removed the motor from my 2008 GSX-R750 and have it on the bench for when I get back. I have a set of adjustable cam sprockets and a Yoshimura gearbox to put in when I get back. So I can play motor builder on my go fast bike and get distracted with about 30 other side projects.

Gawd! I've got ADHD like a mofo.

650b me
    That bash guard is art! Nice work.

Old school BMXer
    I've seen those variable rate throttle setups for many bikes. Are they not available for your GSX-R? If they are, what did you do differently than all the other commercially available versions?
    May the air be filled with tires!

pvd
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    Are they not available for your GSX-R? If they are, what did you do differently than all the other commercially available versions?
    The commercially available versions are pretty pathetic and almost useless. Better than nothing but certianly not good. Most folks just drop in an R6/R1 throttle to speed up the GSX-R rate. That's really not much though. I like a real fast throttle not a pooky slow throttle. My design is a true 60 degree throttle with variable rate. The stock cables and housing are used. Some internal machining is done to the housing to fit, though. Another important difference is that the return cable remains in effect throughout the range. That's something that everyone else ignores.

Honestly, I've used a lot of fast throttles. HRC, Yoyodyne, Ergo. This is on a whole different level than those. This is the real thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy
    That bash guard is art! Nice work.
    Yea that's a really cool looking "Bash" guard as you put it. So cool that Bashing it would be something I'd rather like to avoid.

Bike Freak
    I would have to agree that that "bash guard" is a thing of beauty.
    My bikes [Fe][C]ycles

pvd
    mtbr member
    Thanks all. It's nice to hear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Really neat idea on the throttle cam. I just picked up an '08 S2R1000 last wk (in the SNOW!) and noticed it has a similar problem as my old 95fzr600. The first 1/2 of the throttle is quite quick to pickup but the last 1/2 is a dog. Def needs some sort of progressive linkage. Im guessing once the TB plates are open ~45deg they're already flowing WELL over 1/2 the total value. Ever thought of changing the linkage cam on the carb/TBs and not the hand control?

Nice looking bash. Im a clumsy mofo and would dent it quickly

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Nice bash ring. I like the way its got a solid support on the axis above each bolt and then the curved members to provide support between the bolt holes. That shape looks like it could take a fair amount of direct abuse. A sort-of side on hit might bend it but most bash rings are pretty vulnerable to that sort of hit.

What's it weigh?

pvd
    mtbr member
    That's an interesting idea, but this makes the mod very simple and only takes 10 minutes with a screwdriver rather than 2 hours in the shop. I will look at the tb's when I get back and see if that could be a good trick.

nothing relevant to say
    Where in FL are you (going)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    PVD, No doubt it would take longer to swap. Was just thinking about manufacturability. Replacing the one on the TBs is just a little pc of flat metal and could be cranked out to sell.

Members who have read this thread: 1