Pool: How long will this ghetto CF repair last?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2015

Pool: How long will this ghetto CF repair last?

I have a 2010 Rocky Mountain Altitude carbon frame that had a small longitudinal crack at the base of the downtube. You could barely tell, but if you pressed really hard, you could see some flex at the edge of the cracks. Not sure, but I think it was from an impact. It hasn't gotten bigger riding for about a month since noticed.

So I patched it the best that I could with generic ebay room temp carbon fiber. 6 layers over it with some mild compression via a mold I made of the frame shape using "InstaMorph". Looks ok, feels hard. Will test ride it tomorrow.

If anything, I'm guessing it will fail due to stress hot spots due to the extra strength of the patch itself, but it is a generally well boxed in stiff section of frame... so who knows. I had to try something before giving up and searching for a new bike I can't afford.

Pool: How long will this ghetto CF repair last?-img_20170418_120053_small.jpgPool: How long will this ghetto CF repair last?-img_20170418_125418_small.jpgPool: How long will this ghetto CF repair last?-img_20170419_100350_small.jpgPool: How long will this ghetto CF repair last?-img_20170419_155334_small.jpg

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    The longevity meter starts TODAY!
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Cycologist
    Pool? Are we taking bets?

I have no idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I think the repair will be fine for years, but there will be a new crack somewhere else within a year of normal use

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by restlessrider View Post
    I think the repair will be fine for years, but there will be a new crack somewhere else within a year of normal use
    I think you could be onto something.... I actually replaced a cracked rear suspension arm (aluminum) about a month before finding this crack.

One ride today and it's still in one piece though.

mtbr member
    I always used to taper repairs well out on to the surrounding material when I fixed my fibreglass boats. I suspect it's a similar procedure for c/f.

For a crack I would normally drill at hole at each end or preferably grind it right out so it was wide enough to get some material in there.

Your repair looks tidy so I doubt you'll have much problem - and anyway, you now know how to fix it.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland