Parts list- Mtbr.com

Thread: Parts list

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Parts list

I have been lurking on this forum for a while and am truly blown away by everything here. You guys are true artisans. Just returned from NAHBS and my fire has been stoked. I have wanted to build a frame for years, now is the time.

Here is my dilemma. I want to build a lugged steel monstercorss style frame with disc mounts. I have never built a frame before, so all is new to me. I work with tools, and am pretty crafty so, with patience, and a lot of research, I know I can get this done.

I have been researching tubesets and lugs, but quite honestly, I am lost when it comes to figuring out what lugs go with what tubes, bottom brackets, chainstays for tire clearance, lug angles, etc.

Would it be possible for anyone here to give me a complete parts run down of what would be needed for the monstercross frame complete? Obviously for the first build, I am not looking for very expensive material. Any help would be appreciated.

For reference, I am 5-11, 180. The bike would be used mainly for commuting to work via roads and the double track. I would also like to do some winter commuting as well.

Sorry if this seems like taking the easy way out, but I just want to get the first one going without wasting too much money.

Frame Building Moderator

Fillet

Anything with unconventional angles or big tires will be a huge pain with lugs. Assuming you've got a torch already, time to learn to fillet braze.

The Verus line of tubes from True Temper/Henry James would be good to start out with.

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybagadonuts View Post
    I have been lurking on this forum for a while and am truly blown away by everything here. You guys are true artisans. Just returned from NAHBS and my fire has been stoked. I have wanted to build a frame for years, now is the time.

Here is my dilemma. I want to build a lugged steel monstercorss style frame with disc mounts. I have never built a frame before, so all is new to me. I work with tools, and am pretty crafty so, with patience, and a lot of research, I know I can get this done.

I have been researching tubesets and lugs, but quite honestly, I am lost when it comes to figuring out what lugs go with what tubes, bottom brackets, chainstays for tire clearance, lug angles, etc.

Would it be possible for anyone here to give me a complete parts run down of what would be needed for the monstercross frame complete? Obviously for the first build, I am not looking for very expensive material. Any help would be appreciated.

For reference, I am 5-11, 180. The bike would be used mainly for commuting to work via roads and the double track. I would also like to do some winter commuting as well.

Sorry if this seems like taking the easy way out, but I just want to get the first one going without wasting too much money.

Members who have read this thread: 0