Opinions on frame construction- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2020

Opinions on frame construction

Hey gang, first timer here. I'm considering a new carbon frame purchase. Anyone with engineering acumen care to share their thoughts about this particular top tube design please? My concern is whether that Y split above the shock is a bit too thin/unsubstantial where it merges with the seat tube. Thanks in advance for your feedback!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Opinions on frame construction-frame_1.jpg  

Opinions on frame construction-hobby1.jpg  

pvd
    mtbr member
    That's not the problem with that bike.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Not possible to judge the thickness of a carbon part by looking at its exterior. Also consider the first photo with the white-on-white combined with the Fresnel shading effect makes it look artificially thinner on the outside than it really is.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (officialy in 2016, functionally in 2020).

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd View Post
    That's not the problem with that bike.
    Such a tease! What's your concern.... do the pivots look iffy? If you're talking about the discoloration/blur on the down tube, that was just me covering up the name of the brand.

I am a total newb, not only to FS frames, but to mountain biking in general.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Whats up SMRider, Im new here too!

Drew makes good points that the photo is misleading and the thickness of the wall section of that "tube" plays a big part in strength. Carbon frames have much thicker joints and walls than I imagined they would before seeing them in cross section. The scary thing is that Airborne only has a limited 2 year warranty if you are the original owner. I would stay away from it for that reason alone, carbon bikes are the red Solo cup of the bike industry!

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemus147 View Post
    Whats up SMRider, Im new here too!

Drew makes good points that the photo is misleading and the thickness of the wall section of that "tube" plays a big part in strength. Carbon frames have much thicker joints and walls than I imagined they would before seeing them in cross section. The scary thing is that Airborne only has a limited 2 year warranty if you are the original owner. I would stay away from it for that reason alone, carbon bikes are the red Solo cup of the bike industry!
    Ugh, yeah. The 2 year warranty is concerning. And the lack of reviews/press... hell, lack of anything out there on their products in the last bunch of years. I was trying to not make it about the company, but - I'm relieved someone (you) pointed it out.

The issue is there are not many new bikes in stock right now. At least not between 2-3 grand. Been mulling the idea of buying used, but the prospect of a used carbon mtb scares me. Thanks, covid.

mtbr member
    Triangulation.... its a pretty sound engineering concept.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    The bike is fine, the chances of you breaking the CF is low. Airborne has been around for years. Don't ask PVD what's wrong with something unless you want to start a shit show.

mtbr member
    That frame is fine. You need to look at this frames Top Tube as 2 pieces. The front section from the shock connection to Head Tube is under compression and the suspension forces do not effect the rear Y section to the Seat Tube. The Y acts as a stay only, and in fact spreads loading from the rider as he sits on the saddle. If this structure had a short connection from the shock pivot down to the Down Tube, you could remove the upper ST and those stays like a trial's bike and it would be fine. This design form follows motorcycle principles and they've been doing for a lot longer than the cycle industry.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?