Newb with Newb Questions- Mtbr.com
    pain don't hurt

Newb with Newb Questions

I've been spending some time lately attempting to design my own MTB frame. One of the problems I'm running into is spacing issues. By this I mean certain dimensions that are common on every bike, but are difficult to actually measure. I'm interested to know where I can find information such as chainring spacing (for chainstay clearance), dropout dimensions, and even disc brake standards.

I found lots of good information on SRAM's site in their technical section (they have technical drawings available with general overall dimensions for many of their products) and Magura's site. But some of this other information is very hard to find.

Any advise?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    IS disk standards can be found on hayes website in either dwg or pdf i believe.

pain don't hurt
    Does anybody know if there is a standard spacing for crank-arms and chainrings? I want to make sure my chainstays clear the drivetrain.

mtbr member

A simple way..

Im not trying to make it to simple but for a first frame( or reference in the future) you can just measure an existing frame similar to what you want to build at the points the chainrings,crankarms interface with the stays and use the "width" measurements at those points to set your stays on your frame..
    For the drop outs and disc tabs you can just purchase ready made drop-outs with the disc tabs already on them..Surly makes several good ones..

Framebuilder
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboasT4
    Does anybody know if there is a standard spacing for crank-arms and chainrings? I want to make sure my chainstays clear the drivetrain.
    Sorry buddy, there aren't really any chainstay/crankset spacing standards. Draw it up and mock it up- you shouldn't have much trouble unless you want super short stays or a super wide hub.

Gabe.....
    For your first frame you may want to consider using a lugged BB and a "standard" 16.25ish cs length on a 135mm rear hub..........using those three should give you enough crank clearance. Just make sure you have enough tire clearance as well but a 1.9 tire should work with no porblem.
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

pain don't hurt
    Thanks for the replies.
    I'm trying to model this project based on my Kona Dawg's geometry. After looking at that bike closely, I realized how little space there is between the swing arm yoke and the chainrings. I was hoping there would be some standards for crank arm spacing, but I guess it'll have to be done the hard way.

BTW, I'm looking into building an aluminum framed FS rig. I have the advantage of working at a machine shop that has very expensive 5-Axis machines looking for work. We also do aluminum welding. The trick will be sneaking my frame into some of our vendors for heat treatment and maybe an anodized finish. I'm still in the early EARLY phases of designing the frame, but when I have something substantial I'll definitely post it. Seeing what some people here are doing with alot less resources at their disposal is very cool and very promising!

Most Delicious
    Note that while there is no single "standard", Shimano (and probably others) do publish the specifications for their chainring and crank dimensions.

Members who have read this thread: 0