New Frame Damaged during shipping- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017

New Frame Damaged during shipping

Wanting to get some opinions on an impact my carbon frame took during shipment from my friend's shop in midwest, to me here in the southwest. I have $5,000 in insurance from the shipping company, but it's still a bummer to have happened. That would cover a $2700 replacement frame. Is this bike unsafe to ride? Is the frame compromised? Does it look to anyone like it's more than the paint cracking and not the frame itself, extending from the main impact? The frame isn't soft anywhere in the impact, which would support the paint being cracked away from the impact, and not the frame. Has anyone dealt with such a scenario in the past. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Frame Damaged during shipping-img_1181.jpg  

New Frame Damaged during shipping-img_1177%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by fitzhenry; 02-10-2019 at 06:59 PM.

Myself? It appears to be well broken, I wouldn't ride it.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'd ride it.... on a trainer. Yes, that's definitely more than just paint. It will definitely NOT buff right out.

Rent this space for $
    OUCH! That looks like pretty significant crush damage. It's toast, IMO. Curious to know who the shipping company was and how your shipping claim goes? How well was it packaged? It used to be that some had a standard of required packaging protection around the item before they would honor a claim. Seems these days that people throw stuff in boxes and just call it "good" if it doesn't rattle around too much. Hope you're covered without too much grief in the process.

mtbr member
    I recently shipped some electronics and LED bar lamps for work. I ensured it for about 2K. UPS had me wrap the package I brought in with another 50 ft of bubble, so my package had 2-3 inches of bubble wrap around it and put it in another couple boxes before they would accept it for shipment. They were serious.

Anyway, yeah that frame is toast. My condolences and I hope you can reach an amenable solution.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

Rent this space for $
    ^Yep, back in my old-days of shipping and receiving, UPS required a minimum of 2" of protection around the items inside the box and the box itself had to be rated and stamped so. You basically had to prove this was the case after opening the package and filing the claim before they would consider it.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    It's done. I'm sorry. You could get it repaired but why? It's friggin new.

Sucks.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I work as a UPS damage clerk. When we do a report, there is a checklist that goes on for 3-4 pages. If any one of the questions on the checklist has "the wrong answer", then the claim is turned down.

Some of the questions are the bursting strength or edge crush of the box (always listed on domestic cardboard) and, as mentioned above, the minimum of 2" of bubble wrap all around every single part.

This is the same process for Haz Mat packages, too. If even one standard is not met, the package does not progress forward.

Having worked for UPS for 25 years, I always pack my fragile items well enough to survive a fall from an airplane (not kidding). Even then, the box could still be impaled by another parcel in the system.

Bottom line: if you ship something fragile or vulnerable via UPS (or maybe other carriers), completely overdo it. Double box with at least 2" of large bubble wrap or foam peanuts.

The declared value at UPS is good if the package is lost or stolen, though. Save your receipt!

The frame in the OP does not look good. Good luck with the claim and your project.