Needs to be said, as it relates to frame building. How's your COVID going?- Mtbr.com
    will rant for food
    Jan 2010

Needs to be said, as it relates to frame building. How's your COVID going?

I haven't been tested due to obvious lack of supply reasons, but I have strong suspicions that I'm a carrier of COVID-19. It seems that the NAHBS show was on the ball in terms of closing up shop, which kinda figures because they have so many China dependencies. Makes sense. I feel like a fool for making fun of it as long as I did, only to realize that I probably had COVID earlier this year like in January and February. If -- big if -- if I happen to be right by circumstance, I will say this:

It was miserable. And I didn't even have the failure to breathe symptoms.

Anyway, how's work going? How do you estimate customers will be purchasing high end bike products during a recession? My product is about ready for consumption, which has me feeling bummed out and pessimistic of my future. I'm trying to console myself with the reality that this virus does not pick and choose whose life to mess over.

I don't know if there are any rules about this sort of topic, but, given the circumstances, I think it applies to this forum.

Any thoughts welcome.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (officialy in 2016, functionally in 2020).

would rather be ruined
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    I haven't been tested due to obvious lack of supply reasons, but I have strong suspicions that I'm a carrier of COVID-19. It seems that the NAHBS show was on the ball in terms of closing up shop, which kinda figures because they have so many China dependencies. Makes sense. I feel like a fool for making fun of it as long as I did, only to realize that I probably had COVID earlier this year like in January and February. If -- big if -- if I happen to be right by circumstance, I will say this:

It was miserable. And I didn't even have the failure to breathe symptoms.

Anyway, how's work going? How do you estimate customers will be purchasing high end bike products during a recession? My product is about ready for consumption, which has me feeling bummed out and pessimistic of my future. I'm trying to console myself with the reality that this virus does not pick and choose whose life to mess over.

I don't know if there are any rules about this sort of topic, but, given the circumstances, I think it applies to this forum.

Any thoughts welcome.
    On the other hand I had all the symptoms and shits for England my doctor said we are coming to the end of the influenza B season here in the UK plenty of folks running round (hoping they have immunity) thinking they have had it.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    I wish you all the best. It's tough for a lot of people for a litany of reasons. I checked in with my customers to see if anyone needed to push things back and am lucky to still have work when countless friends in various industries do not. On the other hand, I have two young kids and a wife who is a teacher...my wife has been working 12-15 hour days for the past 35 days trying to adapt to distance learning and my two kids need constant handholding and checkins to deal with the various sites that have been setup to facilitate their online learning and to be kept on track without spending all day on the computer and we're still falling behind. All that is to say that I'm lucky if I can start working by 2-3PM and even then, I have to setup some way to keep my kids engaged and away from my wife so I can get a little shop time.

I keep trying to tell myself that we're lucky (we are, no doubt about it) but holy hell this is trying.

My best to everyone out there who is going through whatever version of hell they're experiencing right now during this slow motion train wreck.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles

pvd
    mtbr member
    I'm lucky. Stuck home with trails out the door and paycheck still coming in. I'm very lucky and keep counting my blessings during the day.

I have been making good with all this. Virtualizing and designing. I've got a pretty awesome frame fixture design that is getting full time attention. By the time metal gets cut, it's going to be fully sorted. It's the nicest fixture I've ever seen and it's not even going to be very expensive.

Retirement vests in about 8 days. So as long as I live until then, my wife will be all set. That's exciting.

I have been using the all-road (T-47) a lot. Turns out that that platform is a pandemic winner. Bofax Road (legendary bay area road) is closed so I can ride car free to the top on pavement then bomb Tam dirt and trail down. Tomorrow I test the new Maxxis Velocita AR tires. 622-40, 120tpi. Will have a Cushcore in the rear at least. Should be a category killer.

Anyway, focusing forward. Hoping for the best. 'Preparing' for the worst.