Need help with 1st build seatstays- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Need help with 1st build seatstays

All,

I am building my first complete frame and have run into a problem with seatstays. I need help. Fillet brazed 29er hardtail with 436mm seat stays. Everything (except seat stays) is tacked and out of the jig. I am trying to fit seat stays and canít figure out how to get clearance for a 2.3Ē tire. After much forum searching I am at a loss.
    I tried Zona S-bends (ZON615560133) and wanted to fit them in a fastback style, but there is no way it is going to give me enough clearance.
    -I donít like the look of caps that are mounted to the side for this bike, but unfortunately right now I think this might be my only option.
    -I am searching for an off the shelf solution and donít want to bend tubes myself (I have solved enough problems already!).
    -I have looked through all the suppliers that I know and canít find anything that I think will work.
    -I am not opposed to a wishbone or a yoke, but have not seen one off the shelf that is either off the shelf or simple enough for me to tackle.
    - Zon91556029 is a 29er specific set I am considering, but from the drawing I donít see how that is much different from what I am using.
    My ideal solution would be a source for pre-bent tubes that are more aggressive then that Zona 29er set. Can anyone out there offer some advice?

Thanks,
    JB

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Have you checked out what Andrew has at Bikefabsupply.com? I just got some of the fat bike stays for getting lots of clearance. There are some more aggressive s-bends as well for gaining clearance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I also recommend checking the fat bike stays to see if they work for you. I tried Deda "S"bend MTB seat stays on my 29er build with 425 chainstay length and no luck also. You need a pretty tight radius at the tire and most available seat stays either aren't ideal for 29" or short stay length , or both. If you really cant find what you want I've got the Cobra toob bender with 5/8" in 4.5" and 6.75" radius and 3/4" dies in 6.75" radius . Id be happy to bend you a set if you sketched me a drawing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the advice and especially the offer for help! I ordered a set of Deda 16mm S-Bend stays from bike fab. Not sure why I missed that option before. Hopefully that solves my problem. From the drawing the 21 deg bend at the top of the stay should make all the difference. I will let you know how it turns out.

Image of my stay:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help with 1st build seatstays-img_2488.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    If you need a custom seatstay profile, I'd be happy to try and help. I bend all my stays in house, and can create most any bend profile you'd need. I have dies for 5/8" and 3/4" tubing in multiple radii. Shoot me a contact form (from my website) if you need something.
    Myth Cycles handbuilt bike frames
    Durango, CO
    http://www.mythcycles.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You guys are awesome. I had a real mental block on this and just needed to look at it clearly for a minute. The Deda stays came in last night. They are only roughly filed right now, but it did not take long to realize that my problem was solved. Hopefully I will have enough time this weekend to get everything brazed in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help with 1st build seatstays-img_2492.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    looks great! Those were the same stays i mentioned that didnt work for me, but i forgot and then realized i was running them very low on the seat tube, about 15" above the center of the bottom bracket. They look like a perfect fit for ya