My first bike - UFV framebuilding 101 - flat bar commuter/touring bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

My first bike - UFV framebuilding 101 - flat bar commuter/touring bike

So I had a few different ideas for this bike. Built around a Rohloff hub, PMW rocker dropouts, disk brakes, flat-bars, and Ergon grips.

I wanted a slightly higher bar height, but with flat bars, so I got all the rise out of a 220mm headtube. Long front center but reasonable reach by using a short stem.

Handles beautifully.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first bike - UFV framebuilding 101 - flat bar commuter/touring bike-2014-07-30-19.45.45.jpg  

Nemophilist
    Nice;

Looks like a very rideable machine. If I were ever tempted to road ride, that is the type of bike I'd require.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    sweet! how was the class? would love to do that one day. such a rad guy, paul.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hey xy9ine, it was great. Lots of hard work and concentration. Btw, I think you are a gearbox guy too, with a Lahar? I'm now the Canadian Zerode rep.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    yeah, still have that thing (though it doesn't get used much these days). very cool, re: zorode. random: was corresponding w/ rob a while back; seems he's still in touch w/ aaron (ex of lahar). though aaron seems to be living on a different plane of existence these days. still hoping rob pumps out that trail bike one of these days...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Nice bike evrac. Good concept and execution.

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    What do you think about those dropouts? Are they easy to tension and center the wheel? That looks almost exactly like a custom touring frame I am thinking about having built.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I would have preferred a hooded design. This way I had to make bullet transition pieces, which I don't think are quite as strong as a direct connection. However, they are a joy to use. Easy to tension. They don't have a tensioning screw to pull them back, so you just pull them. Maybe not ideal. Also relies on those two bolts being good an tight.

Anyways, despite the negatives, they were the best thing I could find in an aftermarket dropout system. Good modularity with other dropouts available if I wanted to run a conventional drivetrain.