Machined mild steel sliding dropouts?- Mtbr.com
    WillWorkForTrail

Machined mild steel sliding dropouts?

Hello,
    I searched around and found some threads about dropouts, but nothing mentioning specific sources for machined sliding dropouts that are mild steel. Naturally, I looked at Paragon (and quite a few other places) but found only Stainless or Ti dropouts that are machined rather than cast (forged?). I cracked a cast dropout on my steel frame, and the fabricator I'm talking to would prefer to use a billet machined drop out set to replace the stock set on the frame. I've had no luck though. In fact, the only mild steel sliders I've found at all are these:

https://www.bikefabsupply.com/rear-d...opouts-12x15mm

https://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle...DJUSTABLE.html

I should, at this point probably mention that I'd like to have those be 12x142 dropouts. Any other pointers, tips, or suggestions? Is there some possibility I should just go with the stainless set and ask the fabricator to braze them instead of welding? Thanks in advance for the help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Assuming the fabricator you're referring to is a bicycle framebuilder, I would be asking his opinion on all this and go with what he says. If he's not, then I'd say that you can weld typical steel bike tubing to stainless with no problems. I use ER312 filler rod for this junction.

I don't know if there are any mild steel CNC machined slider options out there. Cast and forged yes, but not machined.
    Myth Cycles handbuilt bike frames
    Durango, CO
    http://www.mythcycles.com

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by Erichimedes View Post
    Assuming the fabricator you're referring to is a bicycle framebuilder, I would be asking his opinion on all this and go with what he says. If he's not, then I'd say that you can weld typical steel bike tubing to stainless with no problems. I use ER312 filler rod for this junction.

I don't know if there are any mild steel CNC machined slider options out there. Cast and forged yes, but not machined.
    Ah, thank you. That does answer some questions. For the interested, I was taught to weld by a John Deere master fabricator. But in the end I'm just a farm boy. There's a guy I ride and do some trail work with who fabricates for a living, but he's never built a bike, although he has bought extrusions for a jig, etc. - and he's done some work on his bikes. Just never built one. Anyhow, because he's never messed with this kind of drop out replacement, he wasn't sure, but I mentioned the filler rod type to him and he's looking into that. He and I both agree that a machined part should ultimately be stronger than the cast part, but he was wondering why the machined parts are all stainless. Any idea on that one? Is it just for the surface durability?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I second the ER312 filler for welding the stainless frame parts to chromoly. It is a great filler metal for welding bike frames and the dissimilar metals we commonly use. The frame parts are usually stainless, so the sliding surfaces don't have to be painted.