Inverter Pulse MIG - New Welder Technologies - Useful for bike building?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Inverter Pulse MIG - New Welder Technologies - Useful for bike building?

I'm marginally aware that over the past few years there has been something of a leap in welder technology with these computerized welders. Do any of them bring exciting new things to the table for bike builders, pro or amateur? Steel or Aluminum?

I've looked around but haven't been able to find bike builders talking about them.

Specifically, I'm wondering if pulsed wire feed processes are suitable for frame building.
    Last edited by TroyS600; 01-30-2019 at 06:35 AM.
    Bend, OR

Moderator Moderator
    Pulsed TIG (I assume that's what you meant) is not new. Nor are inverter machines. The entry level inverter machine I bought >15 years ago has a built in pulser.

Pulsed TIG (usually inverters, just because that's what basically everything is now) is indeed the method of choice for bike building, though the pulse isn't really necessary.

So nobody is talking about them because they're not new and exciting, probably.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    No, I meant pulsed MIG (wire feed), and these new welders that have display screens on them and you input the material thickness you are welding on and your filler wire thickness and a bunch of other variables and the computer determines the wire feed speed, current, pulse frequencies/duration, Etc.

I don't know much about them at all, other than they exist and that they didn't used to a few years ago, at least not in the consumer space.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

https://www.millerwelds.com/resource...s-productivity

https://m.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/...ig-detail.aspx

https://youtu.be/239HEagxtPk shows the kind of computerized set up I was talking about. Also this has some Mig brazing which I don't know if that's a new thing or not, or if it's of interest to frame builders.

It may well be that none of these things are better then existing processes for bike frame Builders specifically, but if you want a more versatile piece of equipment in your shop than a TIG welder, this might be it. What I mean is that for anything other than joining thin wall bike tubes, a standard MIG welder is much more useful to me (than a TIG welder) for all the other work that I might do.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    There are welding forums with all the answers to your questions and answers to questions that you haven't yet even thought up.
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=weldin...FORM=QBLH&sp=2

The pulse MIG is the best of both processes, TIG and MIG, giving you the speed of MIG with the penetration and quality of TIG.

There used to be a thread titled "MIG like TIG" where we would compare MIG welds to TIG as far as appearance (nothing looks better than a stack of dimes" and we would mimic that look with MIG).

Yes, the pulse MIG process is better. There have been some improvements in the equipment and right now, the industry has reached it's peak in innovation and performance. As a result, the prices are competitive and there has never been a better time to get great value for your dollar.

The only nay sayers are the old school guys that learned on transformer machines and a few modern guys that haven't tried the pulse equipment. If Miller and Lincoln are making them, they aren't just hype and marketing fad.

Buy a name brand with good support and a useable warranty. Every brand uses Asian imported parts and components. You don't want a no name brand that has no parts availability.

A modern pulse machine offers the same benefits over non pulse as a modern full suspension downhill racer compared to a 20 year old rigid frame 3 speed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyS600 View Post
    https://youtu.be/239HEagxtPk shows the kind of computerized set up I was talking about. Also this has some MIG brazing which I don't know if that's a new thing or not, or if it's of interest to frame builders.
    MIG brazing offers strong enough joints with less heat, therefore the HAZ is smaller which is always better. Of course, it depends on the specific tubing and filler.

Most guys don't realize that their Al frame bikes are all built/ welded via MIG. Few understand the differences and thought that you could only weld Al with TIG and braze with gas.

Pulse offers MIG the same heat control that was formerly possible only with TIG. All automotive frames have used pulsed MIG for decades and the technology finally became cheap enough for the consumer market.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the replies. Do you know if anyone is MIGing steel bike frames, or if doing so is reasonable for an amateur /enthusiast to attempt?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Bend, OR

Moderator Moderator
    Neat! Given that the actual welding is only maybe 20 minutes of my build time, I'm not sure it would matter to me, but seems like it would be killer for mass production!

-Walt