Help needed: designing a new fast commuter frame/fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help needed: designing a new fast commuter frame/fork

Dear all

I would like to get a very fast commuter bike. Absolute must-have attributes are: disc brakes, titanium and has fender/rack mounts. Light touring also.

I am getting a frame builder to do it but he doesn't have any experience with the above so I need to be explicit in what I require. I have already given him the geometry. There are some other aspects which I need help with.

1. I am 99% sure I want to use Paragon Low Mount Disc Mounts with fender and rack mounts. I will be using Avid mechanicals. Is that fine?
    2. How should I plan for the cable routing? Should I opt for internal routing?
    3. What do I need to specify with regards to the front rigid fork other than lowrider and fender mounts?
    4. I want to have the option to install a kickstand (please don't laugh!). Any pictures of the plate mount?
    5. Anything else I should be explicit about?

I have already stated:
    1. 27.2 seat post
    2. Standard 1 1/8" head tube (want to use normal headset)
    3. Fender mounts frame and fork
    4. Rack mounts frame and fork
    5. Disc brake mounts only
    6. 2 sets of water bottle mounts

This is the first time I am doing it so please forgive the newbie questions. Am pretty excited about the project.

Best.

Frame Building Moderator

What?

Your framebuilder has no experience/opinion on any of these things? Really? And he/she works with titanium?!? I have no idea how you would accumulate enough experience to be a competent ti framebuilder and not have some solid ideas about cable routing, kickstand plates, how to build a rigid fork for touring, how to deal with pretty much any dropout in existence, etc.

My advice is that you should find another builder. You are (or, should be) paying for the builder's expertise with bicycles, not just the fabrication of the actual frame. Nobody in their right mind would pay me to build them a tandem, for example, because I would have no idea what I was doing. Why are you paying this person to build something they apparently know nothing about?

-Walt

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by fishy View Post
    Dear all

I would like to get a very fast commuter bike. Absolute must-have attributes are: disc brakes, titanium and has fender/rack mounts. Light touring also.

I am getting a frame builder to do it but he doesn't have any experience with the above so I need to be explicit in what I require.
    Actually, Walt, the OP requested titanium (I'm assuming frame construction), but according to the OP the builder has no experience with titanium, which makes the situation even worse!

Ultimately, though, Walt is correct, find a competent frame builder who can meet your needs.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    But to answer your question I would look at Salsa's, Surly's and Rivendale's websites and any other you can find and write down your likes and dislikes. Once you get your final list post it. Then find a builder who has done it before and put your name on his waiting list, there will be one.
    I would love to do what you are contemplating, but I have to send children to college. The custom bike will wait but not too long.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    somebody has to ride a builder's first disk brake bike, but I've always figured that should be the builder or someone else who really has nothing to live for.

Stokeless Asshat
    ChiTi?
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    I think he might have meant that the framebuilder hasn't explicitly built a touring frame, but has built road frames. Not a huge difference IMO.

mtbr member
    Sorry for the confusion - the builder has built many frames (in titanium) but not a whole lot of experience in a fast commuter. Eg, light mounts (in case I want to go there) for Schmidt lights. In fact, I don't have much experience here also!

Hence I want to be as explicit as I can.

Thanks all.

Framebuilder
    Quote Originally Posted by fishy View Post
    Sorry for the confusion - the builder has built many frames (in titanium) but not a whole lot of experience in a fast commuter. Eg, light mounts (in case I want to go there) for Schmidt lights. In fact, I don't have much experience here also!

Hence I want to be as explicit as I can.

Thanks all.
    OK, that makes more sense.
    While I think that any experienced builder could easily figure out fender mounts, generator wire routing, etc, I can see why you want to make sure you are covering all the bases.
    So, in aswer to your first four questions:
    1. Chainstay mounted disc brakes are a great solution to keep the brake out of the way of the fender/rack mounts. A BB5/7 caliper will fit fine provided the seatstay is at the right angle.
    2. Internal routing is up to you, I'd imagine it would add big $ to a ti frame. I'd opt to run the shifter and rear brake cables along the downtube. Like a traditional road bike + the brake cable. I did this on a bike last Feb and it worked great.
    3. A tidy way to route the wires for your dyno hub and a plan for a rack mount on the crown.
    4. I can't wrap my head around wanting a kickstand on a custom bike, but some builders pull it off quite nicely- check out Mike Flanigan's (ANT Bikes) website for some good pics.
    5. Keep reading/researching and I'm sure you'll find a few more things to ask your builder about.

Good luck!