Gussetting sliding dropout- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Gussetting sliding dropout

A customer at the bike shop I work at asked me if I could repair his Soma B-Side where the sliding dropout on the disc brake side has bent upwards from the combination of braking force and cantilevered weight. The frame is out of warranty, 'cause he's not the original owner and he's not sure he wants to go with the crash replacement option.
    Gussetting sliding dropout-part_1526882323946.jpg
    I was able to straighten the dropout by drilling a pair of holes in a piece of bar stock and bolting it as a lever to the dropout. Unfortunately, I forgot to get any before pictures. I wire-wheeled the paint off the chainstay where it had been bent and didn't see any obvious cracking.

Would a sheet metal gusset in the back of the rear triangle be a reasonable way to prevent this from happening? Would I be better off using a tube brace? Call it a loss and hand it back to the guy?

Thanks,
    Trevor

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Is there no adjustment screw that goes through the front of the dropout? Seems that any gusset would get in the way of making that adjustment...

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    There is an adjustment screw, but he'd be willing to forgo it to have a frame that doesn't bend.

Moderator Moderator
    Um, the chainstay bent, and you bent it back?

I would probably cut the frame up and put it in the dumpster, but if you do want to further reinforce it, put a piece of tubing in there as a brace.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Like Walt suggested, put a tube brace in there.

Seems unusual that a large manufacturer didn't do this at the get go. That was an obvious design error to put a frame out there without support, unless this an old pre-disc frame and has been updated with disc drop-outs?

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

Let's get weird
    Soma Wolverines, which looks identical to what you have pictured, are notorious for cracking at the vent hole just in front and on the inside of the CS/DO joint. Soma got smart to the mistake and started adding braces on both sides.

I'd put braces on both sides as I've seen a chainstay break on the drive side at the vent hole, not just the disc brake side.

Now that it has been bent and the rebent I'd hang it on the wall.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kampgnar View Post
    Soma Wolverines, which looks identical to what you have pictured, are notorious for cracking at the vent hole just in front and on the inside of the CS/DO joint. Soma got smart to the mistake and started adding braces on both sides.

I'd put braces on both sides as I've seen a chainstay break on the drive side at the vent hole, not just the disc brake side.
    That vent hole placement I find rather mystifying. Why not put it through the dropout flange?

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Schweald View Post
    A customer at the bike shop I work at asked me if I could repair his Soma B-Side where the sliding dropout on the disc brake side has bent upwards from the combination of braking force and cantilevered weight. The frame is out of warranty, 'cause he's not the original owner and he's not sure he wants to go with the crash replacement option.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PART_1526882323946.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	1199109
    I was able to straighten the dropout by drilling a pair of holes in a piece of bar stock and bolting it as a lever to the dropout. Unfortunately, I forgot to get any before pictures. I wire-wheeled the paint off the chainstay where it had been bent and didn't see any obvious cracking.

Would a sheet metal gusset in the back of the rear triangle be a reasonable way to prevent this from happening? Would I be better off using a tube brace? Call it a loss and hand it back to the guy?

Thanks,
    Trevor
    I've seen frames with that - what looks to me like a cantilevered rear dropout - and always thought it just didn't look right. ...like it's hanging out there too far. Does this happen a lot?

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.