Is the frame cracked?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2020

Is the frame cracked?

I have ridden the frame for a month in this state and the crack didn't get any bigger.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is the frame cracked?-d4415301-cec3-480b-94fb-a15ae7820b71.jpg  

All fat, all the time.
    Do you still have warranty or is it old/used?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I don't have a warranty. I bought the bike used from a bike shop about a year and a half ago. I think it's a 2017 model(Boardman Team 29er) xc race bike, aluminium

Most Delicious
    That would be a strange place for it to crack, so I would keep riding it and just keep an eye on it.

Wanna ride bikes?
    I know this works with carbon, not sure about aluminum?

Tap across the area with a quarter going back and forth across the crack. The sound will change if it's cracked.

I'd say from looking at that picture it's a crack. First I would stop riding it personally, but at a minimum I would take a sharpie and mark the ends of it so you can clearly tell if it's growing.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Smooth welds on aluminium Boardmans are actually flexible body filler......

I'd imagine it is a filler crack (there have been issues before)

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/t...an-cxs/page/3/

Read the post ^ from jameso - he is the designer for Pinnacle bikes so knows the options for filler etc from far the east factories.

Even a proper crack in that location would probably be a non-deadly failure. I'd just ride it and see what happens.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    body filler? Why would they do that? Doesn’t it make the frame less strong and more prone to breaking?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    They do it for cosmetics - i.e. it looks like a carbon frame, or like the old Cannondales with smoothed filed welds. Only filler is much easier and quicker to smooth.

Why will it make it weaker? There is still a TIG weld underneath. Just covered up with filler to make it smooth.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Sand it back and have a proper look. Only guessing otherwise. You're going to damage the paint no matter the cause.

EAT MORE GRIME
    looks like a bondo crack as others are sayin....
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    So it isn’t too dangerous to ride, i guess

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by speedygz View Post
    Sand it back and have a proper look. Only guessing otherwise. You're going to damage the paint no matter the cause.
    I think sanding it is going to cover small cracks or at least it will make them harder to spot, i’d better flake it off with a sharpie or something

EAT MORE GRIME
    put nail polish witness mark across it

if the nail polish cracks after a hard ride then something is going on deeper
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by andreikyz12 View Post
    I think sanding it is going to cover small cracks or at least it will make them harder to spot, i’d better flake it off with a sharpie or something
    That's what a dye penetrant test is used for.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    It is a strange place to crack, but then it would be just as strange for the filler to crack for no underlying reason. The only way to know for sure is to scrape/rub/pick the filler off until you can see the metal underneath.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020

Kona warranty deparment

Hello fellas, just a kick question, has anyone ever had a warranty claim with Kona? I am right now claiming a pair of cracks that appeared on my frame just 2 months after I bought mi bike, I am 5'11' and 160 pounds, decided to go with an M size sience I came from an Intense Tracer 27.5" also M size frame, but the frame is now cracked, they are blaming it on me but the opinion with a couple of dealers that I have encountered is that the frame should resist just fine, I would like to know riders opinions about the topic and about Kona warranty deparment because right now they are making my life really hard! thanks in advance community. I must say the post was always within the limits marked on the dropper by the manufacturer

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is the frame cracked?-captura-de-pantalla-2020-08-13-la-s-19.50.28.jpg  

Is the frame cracked?-captura-de-pantalla-2020-08-13-la-s-19.50.21.jpg  

Is the frame cracked?-captura-de-pantalla-2020-08-13-la-s-19.44.06.jpg  

Is the frame cracked?-captura-de-pantalla-2020-08-13-la-s-19.43.30.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hectorgramosm View Post
    edit: the comment below is nonsense. I got confused because I thought the photo was showing the actual seatpost insertion.

That sucks. User error 100%. Any manufacturer would be perfectly correct to tell you that you bought the wrong size and put too much leverage on the clearly marked seatpost by not using a long enough post.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Hello fellas, just a kick question, has anyone ever had a warranty claim with Kona? I am right now claiming a pair of cracks that appeared on my frame just 2 months after I bought mi bike, I am 5'11' and 160 pounds, decided to go with an M size sience I came from an Intense Tracer 27.5" also M size frame, but the frame is now cracked, they are blaming it on me but the opinion with a couple of dealers that I have encountered is that the frame should resist just fine, I would like to know riders opinions about the topic and about Kona warranty deparment because right now they are making my life really hard! thanks in advance community. I must say the post was always within the limits marked on the dropper by the manufacturer

If you bought it new as original owner, they should warranty it.

At 160 pounds, there's no way that bike should crack the way it has!

Take em to task

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    That sucks. User error 100%. Any manufacturer would be perfectly correct to tell you that you bought the wrong size and put too much leverage on the clearly marked seatpost by not using a long enough post.
    Hey man, I think this picture has been creating a bit of confusion, I rode the bike with the yellow mark at the seat clamp, the blue mark is the post/dropper limit minimum insertion, which was always inside the bike, you can see tartar at that point of the post. There were always 2 inches between the seat clamp and the minimum insertion limit, as you can see in the following pictures. I might say, not assuring, Kona is blaming this on me just because they have no stock frames to replace mine.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is the frame cracked?-whatsapp-image-2020-08-18-08.56.11.jpg  

Is the frame cracked?-whatsapp-image-2020-08-18-08.56.59.jpg  

Is the frame cracked?-whatsapp-image-2020-08-18-08.58.38.jpg  

mtbr member
    I see that now—thank you for clarifying. in that case, you should have a legitimate warranty claim. however, while we can commiserate with you, none of us can solve the issue. you need to press Kona to make it right. if they don't have any frames to replace it right now, you'll just have to wait or get it replaced with something else.

I don't think down-sizing on the frame caused it to crack, but with the way Kona designs their bikes, you should have been riding a large. if that does not suit you, it's probably not the bike for you. that's a different conversation though.

what did Kona say caused this? if they don't see evidence for a crash, it should be covered. it's all subjective from Kona though. no amount of complaining about it on a forum is going to force them to change their minds.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Next comes the conversation about the Frames recommended minimum insertion vs the seatposts. Potential for conflict there.

There's a lot of seatpost hanging out of that frame in the side-view picture. At 5'11" I would think you should be on a Large for sure. Or just run a longer seatpost. But...

There's no way for me to tell from those pictures that that's what caused the frame to crack? Could be something completely unrelated. Void in the carbon, manufacturing defect, etc.

Kona's warranty department seems pretty fair from what I know. Curious to see what they say?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Let's get weird
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Next comes the conversation about the Frames recommended minimum insertion vs the seatposts. Potential for conflict there.
    This right here ^

I had this conversation with a brand recently and they pointed me to the minimum insertion for the post. I asked what their minimum insertion is as the frame manufacturer and it's been crickets. The maths show that I could run a 200mm dropper at max extension on their XL frame +/- a couple mm, but that doesn't mean the 150mm minimum insertion post spec isn't going to destroy their seat mast.

Professional Crastinator

That crack appears to be on the back or side of the seat tube. How can you even apply stress in that direction? Warranty.
    ...unless you looped off the back and somehow slammed it hard enough to crack the frame (without damaging the dropper?).

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.