Frame couplers at the seat/chainstays --unsafe or less effective?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Frame couplers at the seat/chainstays --unsafe or less effective?

Hi, i've been looking at alternatives for couplers that do not go on the seat, top or down tube, but rather at four points in the seat/chainstays. I am thinking of this because there are frames out there whose design might not be compatible with Ritchey or S&S (for example, Jeff Jones' Spaceframe design):

However, I have not been able to find much evidence of people basically separating a frame at the rear triangle. Would doing so be a potential hazard, or is it just as safe, though perhaps not as effective as splitting at the middle via the main tubes?

Moderator Moderator
    You can do it and it'll work fine in terms of strength - but make sure you 1: Check that both resulting pieces of the bike will fit in the case (that's the big reason it's not usually done that way), and 2: Check to make sure all the frame members you want to couple are round first so that the couplers will actually fit (in the case of the Jones, the chainstays have been flattened for tire clearance, so probably no go).

You may also end up causing tire/chainring clearance problems depending on where the couplers go (the coupler is quite a bit larger than the tube it replaces).

Honestly, the Jones looks like perhaps the worst bike to couple/pack on earth. For a variety of reasons, I would leave it alone and just get a big hard case.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks Walt, I think you're right, your insights are much appreciated !

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Btw, could a frame be designed at the seat/chainstays so that it can accept Ritchey breakaway style clamps, instead of the S&S coupler style?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Estuche View Post
    Btw, could a frame be designed at the seat/chainstays so that it can accept Ritchey breakaway style clamps, instead of the S&S coupler style?
    You can build a frame with the Ritchey system (or similar DIY) of course. In the case of a mountain bike, it sometimes won't result in 2 pieces small enough to fit in an S&S case (the front triangle is often too big).

You cannot retrofit the Ritchey system to an existing frame, however.

-Walt