Frame #4 is done and in the wild- Mtbr.com
    650b me

Frame #4 is done and in the wild

I finished this frame recently so thought I would share some photos. Here it is, all built up. I call it the Lava Bomb.

Frame #4 is done and in the wild-img_1554.jpg

Lots of firsts in this frame for me. First use of curved main tubes, first manipulation of chainstays and seatstays (for more tire clearance), first integrated seat clamp (not likely to do again), and first use of Wright-style dropouts with separate brake mount (also not likely to do again).

And a shot in the wild:

Frame #4 is done and in the wild-img_1563.jpg

I'm pleased with the way it rides and handles. As far as I'm concerned, if you're gonna ride a hardtail, 27.5+ is the way to go for sure.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Congrats, that's a handsome and practical bike!
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    And it's orange too!

Along with your earlier builds, nicely proportioned.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    first integrated seat clamp (not likely to do again)
    Bike looks fantastic!

What didn't you like about doing an integrated seat clamp? I think it's one of the perks of building my own frames. MTB frames get a double clamp like you did, road frames get the rack mounts built in to the clamp. Granted, they're kind of a hassle.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

650b me
    Thanks Scott! You guessed the reason why....the extra hassle of brazing it, cutting it into two, and cleaning up the brass as compared to a simple square cut on the top of the seat tube. I do like the looks of it though. Another concern is, will it hold up? I've never worried about that with an off-the-shelf seatpost clamp.

mtbr member
    Thanks Scott! You guessed the reason why....the extra hassle of brazing it, cutting it into two, and cleaning up the brass as compared to a simple square cut on the top of the seat tube. I do like the looks of it though. Another concern is, will it hold up? I've never worried about that with an off-the-shelf seatpost clamp.
    What, you're a hobby builder, cut a slot. Oh dear me. Once upon a time, it was always done this way. I always felt it separated manufacturers from the tinkerers.
    How times have changed.

Your clamp will be fine if you set your stem up right and leave the clamp alone.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

mtbr member
    Sweet looking frame, need more detailed shots of the small details, stays, HT, BB area etc. I bolded that part of your statement, which is true, UNTIL you try 29+, or B+/29+

I finished this frame recently so thought I would share some photos. Here it is, all built up. I call it the Lava Bomb.

I'm pleased with the way it rides and handles. As far as I'm concerned, if you're gonna ride a hardtail, 27.5+ is the way to go for sure.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mbtr member
    LOL i guess i've done more integrated clamps than you!

I haven't had any issues with them holding up at all, although the first time i did it i was super nervous. First time also came out kinda ugly and required a bunch of cleanup. The last couple i've done were pretty fun because of the difference in 'heat-soaking-ness,' getting to lay down a bunch of brass and that weird fillet, and they took like 15 minutes to clean up so it wasn't so bad. Building frames isn't a good use of my time anyway, so whatever!

I totally get your position, but i think you should do more. Your work is beautiful and integrated clamps are so neat.

I read somewhere (richard sachs or paul sadhoff) to double up 2 hacksaw blades in the same hacksaw to cut the seat post slot. It works great. I've stuck a thin washer in between to make it wider.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

650b me
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    I read somewhere (richard sachs or paul sadhoff) to double up 2 hacksaw blades in the same hacksaw to cut the seat post slot. It works great. I've stuck a thin washer in between to make it wider.
    I love insider tips like this one...thanks!

650b me
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Sweet looking frame, need more detailed shots of the small details, stays, HT, BB area etc.
    Thanks LyNx. I just checked my photo stash and I don't have any good detail shots or else I would post some. Probably because I got tired of the brass cleanup phase and just wanted to build the sucker up and ride it.

mbtr member
    Thanks LyNx. I just checked my photo stash and I don't have any good detail shots or else I would post some. Probably because I got tired of the brass cleanup phase and just wanted to build the sucker up and ride it.
    hahaha all my mtb frames are like that. The road frames i never get that excited about and they're much prettier. And i don't care about them. Such is life!
    Mikhail Kalashnikov