Frame #3 and Could use some help with T47 BB threads. I'm in Denver, CO.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Frame #3 and Could use some help with T47 BB threads. I'm in Denver, CO.

Hello,
    At my snail pace of 1 frame per year I'm now finishing my 3rd frame. My results are improving. But I made an expensive mistake in parts selection for this last one. I bought a T47 BB shell from Paragon without thinking through the details too much. And now I have a finished frame and don't have a way to chase the BB threads. I just realized the Park T47 taps are $650-$700. I also can't seem to find a local shop that can help with this unique BB thread. Is there anyone that can help chase my T47 BB threads so i can finish this build up? I have some crust from welding in the threads.

Here is a picture of the frame. It is a single speed XC 29er with Paragon Rocker dropouts and It has a splitter for belt drive. It should be ready for some racing and riding around the Colorado front range soon if I can take care of the last couple finishing touches..

Frame #3 and Could use some help with T47 BB threads. I'm in Denver, CO.-img_20181206_082357808.jpg

mtbr member
    Good luck OP, hope you get lucky and find someone in your area with the tool, but I'm kind of doubtful.

Subbed to find out if anyone has bought into this standard introduced by CK, this is the first I've heard of it being used anywhere, definitely not on any commercially available bikes/frames I know of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Subbed to find out if anyone has bought into this standard introduced by CK, this is the first I've heard of it being used anywhere, definitely not on any commercially available bikes/frames I know of.
    I went to NAHBS last year, T47 was on everything. It's definitely a hand made bike thing.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Hum, that's interesting, will have to see who, if anyone besides CK makes BBs to fit these. Won't buy a frame with a PF BB for all the hassle, despite 3rd parties coming up with some good, thread together solutions, would be cool if something that's actually functionable and provides what designers/manufacturers are claiming they need in bigger BB shells without being a PITA for creaks etc. Maybe because I'm lighter, but I've not had any flex issues with 24mm spindle cranks

[EDIT] OK, seems there's actually a few options out there, but arguments seem to be that the big players aren't interested and that it's that the tolerances are to blame for the creaking BBs, that it's not up to the same sort of spec/standard they keep headsets to, which to me is really sad if that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    I went to NAHBS last year, T47 was on everything. It's definitely a hand made bike thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Hum, that's interesting, will have to see who, if anyone besides CK makes BBs to fit these. Won't buy a frame with a PF BB for all the hassle, despite 3rd parties coming up with some good, thread together solutions, would be cool if something that's actually functionable and provides what designers/manufacturers are claiming they need in bigger BB shells without being a PITA for creaks etc. Maybe because I'm lighter, but I've not had any flex issues with 24mm spindle cranks
    I barely know anything about this standard but I know Bombrack moved a few of their bikes to T47 from press fit.

Hook EXT 2019 ‚Äď Bombtrack

In the specs it says the BB is an "FSA 386EVO T47" but I can't find anything about it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I bought into the hype, and built this bike with one. I figured I might get lucky and not need to chase the threads after welding. That wasn't true, certainly not with my skill level.

One of the selling features is that you can use the T47 taps and cut threads into the bottom bracket shell of a PF30 bike. And repair a creaking bike that way. Soooo. It is possible that I could just use a thread together PF30 bottom bracket and ignore the fact that there are threads in the BB.

With the responses so far, I'm guessing nobody has tried that either?? That might be my cheap fix.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I did the same thing but with the head tube. I found out 49mm headtubes arenít common enough for any LBS to have that facer/reamer. I talked to a lot of bike shops... most of them gave me a blank stare. You want to do what to your head tube!?

I finally bit the bullet and paid as much for a facing/reaming cutter as I paid for all the bits to build the frame. It sucked but now Iím set up to perpetuate my mistake... 49mm head tubes for everything! Because thatís the only cutter I own 😁

Frame Building Moderator
    T47 is mostly used for Ti bikes, because it gives you more real estate to land the downtube on, basically. 38mm BB shells are a huge PITA for ti builders since the downtubes are quite often 45+mm.

On a steel bike, I don't think there's really any point.

Best bet to find taps would be call a few local (Mosaic, Blacksheep, Dean, Oddity, etc) ti builders and see if they'll do it for you for a reasonable price/beer.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I talked to Mosaic already. They are just doing press or 38mm and avoiding the T47. But that makes sense about the Ti builders using the larger diameter BB shells for the large tubes. I'll make a couple more calls.

Or I could build a Ti frame for #4 and just invest in the tools early.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The taps are around $340 from Paragon. At least 4 companies I know of make BBs for it. I'm seeing it in more and more handbuilt bikes, usually titanium, like Walt said. I think it's a pretty cool standard, and I hope it sticks around. I'd just keep calling around up there, I'd expect someone to have them.

Good luck! You can remove mill scale from mild steel with muriatic acid, I wonder if you could clean up just the welding crud from Chromoly in the same way. (Don't take this as a recommendation, I'm just thinking out loud)
    Myth Cycles handbuilt bike frames
    Durango, CO
    http://www.mythcycles.com

mtbr member

T47 Taps

Frame #3 and Could use some help with T47 BB threads. I'm in Denver, CO.-20181215_130744.jpg

$150 if you want them. They are from Paragon and require Park Tool handles.
    NOTHING WORKS LIKE CLOCKWORK

www.clockworkbikes.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I did find a local builder that cleaned out my threads. Like y'all suggested, it was a local Titanium frame builder. So I'm ready for some powder coat now.

I think the frame built up nice around the T47, mostly because of the nice mate to the oversized downtube. But i could probably do the same with a PF30. I don't have enough experiece running these on real bikes to form an opinion on one or the other.

Ipso Facto
    Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork Bikes View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181215_130744.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	1229086

$150 if you want them. They are from Paragon and require Park Tool handles.
    Joel,

I'll take those taps if you're still selling them.

Thanks, Wil

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecycology View Post
    Joel,

I'll take those taps if you're still selling them.

Thanks, Wil
    I sent you a PM.
    NOTHING WORKS LIKE CLOCKWORK

www.clockworkbikes.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Is anyone selling second-hand T47 bottom bracket taps by chance? I'm in a similar situation to the last poster.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I'll try again: Anyone selling T47 taps?