ebike shilling really really sucks.- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 64 of 64
  1. #1
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,494

    ebike shilling really really sucks.

    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

  2. #2
    Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,234
    My take:

    Walts post in that hyperlink is a very brief synopsis of things. I don't think it's entirely right or entirely wrong, just brief.

    If what happened to him had happened to me I'd have left as well, and it is truly a shame he's no longer here.

    I wish he was still here, his contribution especially to this sub-forum were always brilliant.

    DB

  3. #3
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11,716
    Can anyone explain what happened?

    I distinctly remember members questioning his Mod status when he posted things they didnít like, in the eBike forum, despite the fact that he didnít moderate there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  4. #4
    Mtn Biker Machinist
    Reputation: 1 cog frog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,202
    That sucks. Walt is a smart guy, & always willing to help. Thatís a loss for this sub-forum for sure.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,587
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post
    That sucks. Walt is a smart guy, & always willing to help. Thatís a loss for this sub-forum for sure.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's a loss to the whole site, he was a good guy on here.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

  6. #6
    psycho cyclo addict
    Reputation: edubfromktown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,915
    Major bummer- a huge forum contributor, super knowledgeable/willing to share info and super awesome to talk to real-time.

    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

    Gravel bike w/ MTB tires
    Rigid steel SS 29er
    Rigid titanium SS 27.5
    Full suspension 29er
    Hard Tail 29er

  7. #7
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,722
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    It's a loss to the whole site, he was a good guy on here.
    Agreed.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Can anyone explain what happened?
    All I will say is that I back 100% Walt's reason for leaving. He should still be here and his contribution will be missed.

    And I think (personally) that there IS a place for pedal-assist bikes if they open up recreational riding to people who could otherwise not experience things "we" take for granted.

  9. #9
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,494
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    All I will say is that I back 100% Walt's reason for leaving. He should still be here and his contribution will be missed.

    And I think (personally) that there IS a place for pedal-assist bikes if they open up recreational riding to people who could otherwise not experience things "we" take for granted.
    The trouble with electric mopeds is that there's such a financially/selfishly motivated push to label them 'bicycles.' Identify them as their own sport and i suspect a lot of vitriol will evaporate. This is just another example of ebike greed (and i don't mean ebikes themselves) negatively impacting cycling. It sucks.

    I'm really bummed about walt's departure, he ran a good ship. This forum and velocipede are the only active framebuilding forums i know of, and V salon feels sorta 'inadvertently hostile' to casual builders. And it's all roadie shiz. I lurk, but never want to participate there. Does anyone know of other good mtb focused ones?


    Thanks for participating in the thread, bob.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,046
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Wow!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  11. #11
    Professional Slacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Can anyone explain what happened?

    I distinctly remember members questioning his Mod status when he posted things they didnít like, in the eBike forum, despite the fact that he didnít moderate there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Might have something to do with this:

    https://forums.mtbr.com/e-bikes/word...s-1103825.html

    As much as the tone patrol keeps their eyes peeled on the rest of the site, the shitposting in the ebike subforum is a bit much.

  12. #12
    pvd
    pvd is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pvd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,659
    This is terrible. Walt put a lot of work in here over the years and deserves a lot of respect for that.
    This industry is bullshit and the shills are the worst. Glad Walt is keeping his soul clean.

  13. #13
    will rant for food
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,955
    @#$& everything about this. Gives me pause as to whether I want to continue posting here at all.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (officialy in 2016, functionally in 2020).

  14. #14
    would rather be ruined
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    @#$& everything about this. Gives me pause as to whether I want to continue posting here at all.
    happens to every forum eventually ....you makes your choices

    20 years later people having different opinions to the site owners , they come and go these places

    This industry is bullshit

  15. #15
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,587
    The crazy thing is, Walt wasn't really anti ebike and always stayed civil. I guess something went down that I don't know about but it seems that if he was no longer welcome here by the owners, a large portion of us are no longer welcome here as well. I kind of suspected this site was headed toward a tipping point.
    Last edited by chazpat; 11-26-2019 at 05:02 PM. Reason: changed "asked to leave" to "no longer welcome here by the owners"
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watermonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,349
    Well, that's total bullshit. I completely respected Walt perspective on multiple topics, and agree that he didn't come across as anti ebike...just put out there practical, realistic issues with them. I think I'm going to take Drew's idea to heart, and call it quits with this forum. I'm out, and I think I'm going to be happier for it. Later all.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Can anyone explain what happened?

    I distinctly remember members questioning his Mod status when he posted things they didnít like, in the eBike forum, despite the fact that he didnít moderate there.
    Yeah, there're a number of little bitches around here that whine about stuff like that.

    Big loss.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    210
    Interesting how sensitive MTBR is about people posting here who promote their own products. Now an incredibly valuable member of the site gets asked to leave for not promoting MTBR's agenda?

    Not happy at all about this. I was always surprised just how helpful Walt is willing to be when asked any array of questions. Definitely a loss to this site.
    Myth Cycles handbuilt bike frames
    Durango, CO
    http://www.mythcycles.com

  19. #19
    will rant for food
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,955
    Quote Originally Posted by compositepro View Post
    happens to every forum eventually ....you makes your choices

    20 years later people having different opinions to the site owners , they come and go these places

    This industry is bullshit
    I've run and moderated a forum before, I would not want to do it again. That said, I don't know what is so wrong about the Reddit approach to moderating: if people wanna get upset and act the fool, just lock the thread. I can't believe Walt is getting railroaded over one subforum! Very upsetting. Is catering to one niche of customer really worth alienating your other potential customers?

    I know another guy who got kicked out of here years ago and he started his own forum, but I'm not sure I even want to link to it. At least, with this person I'm referring to, he was (and is) incredibly abrasive at times. But Walt was not (and is not).

    This whole thing smacks of the "There's good people on both sides" drivel that is so popular these days. Nope. Nope nope nope nope. Apples and oranges!!

    I mean I got kicked from a gaming forum because I went slightly off topic in a thread for one sentence. That forum is dead.

    And the Facebook page for frame building is a jungle.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (officialy in 2016, functionally in 2020).

  20. #20
    Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Erichimedes View Post
    Now an incredibly valuable member of the site gets asked to leave for not promoting MTBR's agenda?
    He was not asked to leave, see my post #2 in this thread.

    And Walt's been inactive here since July 1st after things went down in mid-late June.

  21. #21
    Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,234
    @DarkMeat: If you believe things are unfair then report the post or send me a PM with a link and I'll look into it.

    Nothing been reported to me for a while in there after a few troll accounts were dealt with.

  22. #22
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    8,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    @#$& everything about this. Gives me pause as to whether I want to continue posting here at all.
    Agreed.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  23. #23
    Professional Slacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,271
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    He was not asked to leave, see my post #2 in this thread.

    And Walt's been inactive here since July 1st after things went down in mid-late June.
    Well, that certainly puts his post in a different light, doesn't it?

  24. #24
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,494
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    Well, that certainly puts his post in a different light, doesn't it?
    No, not really.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

  25. #25
    Location: 10 ft from Hell Moderator
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,449
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    Well, that certainly puts his post in a different light, doesn't it?


    Not at all.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

  26. #26
    Professional Slacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,271
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    No, not really.
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Not at all.
    The long story short is: the owners of the site made it clear I wasnít welcome anymore, because I wasnít interested in helping them promote e-bikes
    The site has a section for emtbs, it doesn't "promote" them any more than it "promotes" 26" bikes, fat bikes, racers of just about any type, women, men over 50, etc...it just provides a space for those that use them. It also has rules in sections where people just can't seem to control themselves like the ebike and women's sections.

    He may have felt unwelcome for his trolling the ebike section, but that's all on him (and the others that do it). Apparently that was a critical part of his MTBR experience, and somehow that's someone else's fault. That didn't have to have anything to do with whatever else he did here, but he chose to make it that way and now he pretends that he's the victim.

    He knew the rules, he was supposed to enforce the rules, he felt the need to ignore them and now feels the need to pull the victim card when nobody did anything to him.

    Serious question: He's not banned, still a mod, what "unwelcomeness" did he experience that wasn't warranted?

  27. #27
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,587
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    The site has a section for emtbs, it doesn't "promote" them any more than it "promotes" 26" bikes, fat bikes, racers of just about any type, women, men over 50, etc...it just provides a space for those that use them. It also has rules in sections where people just can't seem to control themselves like the ebike and women's sections.

    He may have felt unwelcome for his trolling the ebike section, but that's all on him (and the others that do it). Apparently that was a critical part of his MTBR experience, and somehow that's someone else's fault. That didn't have to have anything to do with whatever else he did here, but he chose to make it that way and now he pretends that he's the victim.

    He knew the rules, he was supposed to enforce the rules, he felt the need to ignore them and now feels the need to pull the victim card when nobody did anything to him.

    Serious question: He's not banned, still a mod, what "unwelcomeness" did he experience that wasn't warranted?
    Would you please provide a quote where Walt was trolling? I saw posts more like this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    To be fair, they weren't concerned with mountain biking at all, I think. The money in bikes has and always will be in road and hybrid/commuter bikes. Their focus was on that. I believe they've said publicly that another category for e-mtb would have been a good idea (presumably the EU Class 1 standard).

    I'm not sure going back and changing all that legislation is realistic, given the low (from the perspective of the wider world) stakes involved. Enabling people to ride on commuter paths and bike lanes without getting insurance/registration/driver's license was a slam dunk idea. E-mtb was at best, an afterthought. It might seem like a big deal to us, but I'm guessing it wasn't even a consideration at the time.

    Everyone I know who owns or wants to own an e-mtb wants it because of age/injury to keep doing the sport. They could care less if the assist cutoff was 15mph instead of 20, or if the power limit was 250w instead of 750, because they're just trying to go for a normal ride. Those higher limits are a terrible idea for e-mtb because it's enough to encourage young strong people to go rip around. Just IMO, of course.

    -Walt

    And Walt was not a moderator in the bike forum so he was not "suppose to enforce the rules", he was just another member like you.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    14,153
    Sad news.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  29. #29
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: Harryman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,854
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    The site has a section for emtbs, it doesn't "promote" them any more than it "promotes" 26" bikes, fat bikes, racers of just about any type, women, men over 50, etc...it just provides a space for those that use them. It also has rules in sections where people just can't seem to control themselves like the ebike and women's sections.

    He may have felt unwelcome for his trolling the ebike section, but that's all on him (and the others that do it). Apparently that was a critical part of his MTBR experience, and somehow that's someone else's fault. That didn't have to have anything to do with whatever else he did here, but he chose to make it that way and now he pretends that he's the victim.

    He knew the rules, he was supposed to enforce the rules, he felt the need to ignore them and now feels the need to pull the victim card when nobody did anything to him.

    Serious question: He's not banned, still a mod, what "unwelcomeness" did he experience that wasn't warranted?
    Walt never trolled, nor was a mod there. He owns an ebike and was involved with mtb advocacy in PC, since he was realistic about the pros and cons of ebike usage on multiuse trails, he was often lumped into the "haters" by the devotees.

    Fc is heavily pro ebike, you must not notice the ebike ads that run in the sidebar, he wants the clicks.

  30. #30
    Professional Slacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,271
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Would you please provide a quote where Walt was trolling? I saw posts more like this:




    And Walt was not a moderator in the bike forum so he was not "suppose to enforce the rules", he was just another member like you.
    Mods aren't "just another member," they may not moderate any particular forum, but as a moderator they should at least know how one should act and act that way.

    Again, he wasn't banned, still had mod status....if he were actually unwelcome, AT LEAST one of those things wouldn't be true.

    "Hey, could you stop posting in that sub-forum that you have no actual interest in, or at least tone it down a bit...maybe try following the rules posted?"
    "I CAN'T TAKE THIS UNWELCOMNESS!!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    Walt never trolled, nor was a mod there. He owns an ebike and was involved with mtb advocacy in PC, since he was realistic about the pros and cons of ebike usage on multiuse trails, he was often lumped into the "haters" by the devotees.

    Fc is heavily pro ebike, you must not notice the ebike ads that run in the sidebar, he wants the clicks.
    Selling ads doesn't make someone "pro" anything. You're trying so hard to justify your imaginary point that it just looks silly. According to you, acknowledging the very existence of ebikes makes someone biased. Because your view is so "unbiased," right?

    Apparently Fc is also biased towards Robert Axle, Cambria Bike, Lowes, Patagonia, Haro and anyone else that GOOGLE decides that is a good choice for placement on the site. You realize they're google ads, right? Mouseover one and the link starts with googleads. One day you might figure out how saying this stuff makes you look.

    The only "con" of ebike usage is that it's an additional person on the trails, you can create as many of your own fun little theories about people on ebikes (which would be applicable to non-assisted riders as well) as you want, but it's still best and most politely described as "trolling." There's no additional damage, no danger not already inherent in the sport, no nothing. So if that's what you're referring to, you're proving my point. You're just too biased and wrapped up about what others do to notice it.

    Ebikes exist, people buy them, and they're allowed on a bunch of trails. Grow up and deal with it like adults. Do you continually rag on people who have different tastes in food, sexual partners, cars, etc? So why do you do it to people who want a slightly different cycling experience? What do we call people that do that?

  31. #31
    Location: 10 ft from Hell Moderator
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,449
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    Mods aren't "just another member," they may not moderate any particular forum, but as a moderator they should at least know how one should act and act that way.

    Again, he wasn't banned, still had mod status....if he were actually unwelcome, AT LEAST one of those things wouldn't be true.

    "Hey, could you stop posting in that sub-forum that you have no actual interest in, or at least tone it down a bit...maybe try following the rules posted?"
    "I CAN'T TAKE THIS UNWELCOMNESS!!"



    Selling ads doesn't make someone "pro" anything. You're trying so hard to justify your imaginary point that it just looks silly. According to you, acknowledging the very existence of ebikes makes someone biased. Because your view is so "unbiased," right?

    Apparently Fc is also biased towards Robert Axle, Cambria Bike, Lowes, Patagonia, Haro and anyone else that GOOGLE decides that is a good choice for placement on the site. You realize they're google ads, right? Mouseover one and the link starts with googleads. One day you might figure out how saying this stuff makes you look.

    The only "con" of ebike usage is that it's an additional person on the trails, you can create as many of your own fun little theories about people on ebikes (which would be applicable to non-assisted riders as well) as you want, but it's still best and most politely described as "trolling." There's no additional damage, no danger not already inherent in the sport, no nothing. So if that's what you're referring to, you're proving my point. You're just too biased and wrapped up about what others do to notice it.

    Ebikes exist, people buy them, and they're allowed on a bunch of trails. Grow up and deal with it like adults. Do you continually rag on people who have different tastes in food, sexual partners, cars, etc? So why do you do it to people who want a slightly different cycling experience? What do we call people that do that?



    You still haven't demonstrated any single instance of Walt trolling the e-bike forum. The rest of your diatribe is just your biased opinion.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    You still haven't demonstrated any single instance of Walt trolling the e-bike forum. The rest of your diatribe is just your biased opinion.
    I read a lot of Walt's posts in the moped forum and he wasn't trolling anyone. He was ridiculously reasonable and if folks who want to see dirt mopeds proliferate in North America followed his advice they'd have faster/more success.

    Walt put a lot his time into making MTBR a better place to hang out so if he says he had to choose between helping MTBR promote dirt mopeds or say what he really thought I'll take him at face value.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,801
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Yeah, there're a number of little bitches around here that whine about stuff like that.
    Quoting myself for truth.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,065
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

    Walt put a lot his time into making MTBR a better place to hang out so if he says he had to choose between helping MTBR promote dirt mopeds or say what he really thought I'll take him at face value.
    Well said!


    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,252
    I wish there was a way to just not see the e bike part of the forum at all. I have ridden them, they are cool for some things, but in my mind, I compartmentalize motorized biking and mountain biking separately, just like I compartmentalize randonneuring separately from mountain biking, gravel biking, commuting/utility cycling, etc. I used to even own a motocross bike, so I am not against motorized cycling. But that's not why I come to MTBR and I can tell by the constant hate and trolling when I inadvertently find myself reading an e-bike discussion that I'm not the only one. Why can't they just have their forum and we have ours?

  36. #36
    Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,234
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    I wish there was a way to just not see the e bike part of the forum at all.
    Just don't click on the link to open the sub-forum up?

    Before I started to help moderate here there were large parts of the forum I never opened, including the e-bike section.

  37. #37
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    67
    How does anyone actually get this butthurt over an e-bike of all things?!?

    Let's try act like we're grown.

  38. #38
    Most Delicious
    Reputation: dr.welby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,278
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    maybe try following the rules posted?"
    What rules did he break, and where?

  39. #39
    Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,234
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.welby View Post
    What rules did he break, and where?
    Oh boy... he didn't.

    Something happened and as I said in Post #2: If it had happened to me I would be gone as well.

    Walt chooses not to post here anymore.

    The statement on his own site is how he feels about things but (and I know what happened) I don't fully agree with it.

    He didn't "break" any rules.

  40. #40
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    67
    So he quit of his own volition yet claims he was forced out.

    How disingenuous.

    E-bikes ain't that important, y'all. If you don't like tech, go back to living in a cave. Don't bother starting a fire for warmth, either. Or using stones to carve drawings on walls. That's all too high tech.

  41. #41
    Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,234
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMTB1 View Post
    So he quit of his own volition yet claims he was forced out.
    A bit of both went on.

  42. #42
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,523
    Well damn that sucks. Walt has always been awesome. But the ebike issue has driven many off of here because of the handful of immature people that couldn't accept facts nor willing to do any work. Just acted self entitled. Always made the situation and debates very heated (and often beyond childish), Walt was one of the most level headed people if he chose to involve himself. Seemed more about trying to get folks to understand reality and point ebikers as a whole in the direction to improve their access.

    I didnt even read the situation that happened to him yet, simply that he left and it involved ebikes pretty much covered it knowing myself how ignorant things get over them.

    Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

  43. #43
    Professional Slacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,271
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    You still haven't demonstrated any single instance of Walt trolling the e-bike forum. The rest of your diatribe is just your biased opinion.
    It's actually a very accurate rebuttal of the bs posts I was responding to. I guess you'd prefer to ignore that part.

    What was he so fired up about, google ads? Assuming that he was trolling was giving him the maximum credit that I possibly could, but if he's just wrapped around the axle about google ads and the very existence of a forum (the extent of MTBR "shilling")...well, that's pretty telling.

    Don't click on the forum, how hard is that?

  44. #44
    Professional Slacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,271
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I read a lot of Walt's posts in the moped forum and he wasn't trolling anyone. He was ridiculously reasonable and if folks who want to see dirt mopeds proliferate in North America followed his advice they'd have faster/more success.

    Walt put a lot his time into making MTBR a better place to hang out so if he says he had to choose between helping MTBR promote dirt mopeds or say what he really thought I'll take him at face value.
    Not to say that they're equivalent, but calling ebikes "mopeds" is trolling as sure as calling a black person the n-word is racist. Trolls and racists never realize that because it's such a big part of their identity.

    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    A bit of both went on.
    Schrodinger's Forum?

    Either he was forced out, or he wasn't.

  45. #45
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,523
    Not a troll AT ALL.

    Comparing to racism is kind of ignorant.

    Here the facts of what a moped is and where the name came from. Exactly, by definition, long before ebikes where anything but cool projects DIYers made.

    This is the problem, people cant stand fact and get upset, going as far as comparing to hate speech and racism when facts prove them wrong. So sad to see the same mentality taking over MTBR.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moped

    Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

  46. #46
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,494
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    Not to say that they're equivalent, but calling ebikes "mopeds" is trolling as sure as calling a black person the n-word is racist. Trolls and racists never realize that because it's such a big part of their identity.
    Wow!

    Per Webster's dictionary-
    ebike shilling really really sucks.-moped.jpg


    This isn't really that important though.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

  47. #47
    Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,234
    FFS... I get enough internet arguing about pedal-assist/e-bike/moped in the actual e-bike forum. Please let's not start that here.

  48. #48
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    67
    lol, so much holier than thou ranting and whining about how "pure" mountain bikes are compared to e-bikes.

    These are the same guys with 5k gopro helmet cams with state of the art image stabilization, $400 troy lee designs MIPS helmets, $300 oakleys, full body armour kits, chest mount go pros, riding smooth fire roads with 190mm of travel on $12K bikes. Yeah, like anyone needs to see 4 hours of footage of their 4.3 mph descents in 5K 120 fps image stabilization recorded for posterity.

    Then they turn around like the total hypocrites that they are and claim that adding a 15.5 mph speed governed mid motor is desecration of "their" trails with "too much technology." Somehow they need $30K worth of tech to ride slower than they can walk yet somehow they are in an archimedean position of moral authority vis a vis e-mtb riders.

    You can't really speak rationally to middle aged dentists going through a midlife crisis lol. Let them have their tartar sauce.

  49. #49
    Location: 10 ft from Hell Moderator
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,449
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMTB1 View Post
    lol, so much holier than thou ranting and whining about how "pure" mountain bikes are compared to e-bikes.

    These are the same guys with 5k gopro helmet cams with state of the art image stabilization, $400 troy lee designs MIPS helmets, $300 oakleys, full body armour kits, chest mount go pros, riding smooth fire roads with 190mm of travel on $12K bikes. Yeah, like anyone needs to see 4 hours of footage of their 4.3 mph descents in 5K 120 fps image stabilization recorded for posterity.

    Then they turn around like the total hypocrites that they are and claim that adding a 15.5 mph speed governed mid motor is desecration of "their" trails with "too much technology." Somehow they need $30K worth of tech to ride slower than they can walk yet somehow they are in an archimedean position of moral authority vis a vis e-mtb riders.

    You can't really speak rationally to middle aged dentists going through a midlife crisis lol. Let them have their tartar sauce.


    Envious much?
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

  50. #50
    Professional Slacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,271
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Wow!

    Per Webster's dictionary-
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moped.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	1295425


    This isn't really that important though.
    That isn't really that important though...as I continue to argue the point. We'll just agree to disagree after I make my point and you STFU, right?

    The ebikes in question have to be pedaled. The only reason to pedal a moped is to start them or if you run out of gas. So not a moped any more than a regular bike is.

    Could you call a throttle controlled hub-motor bike a moped? Sure, because it doesn't have to be pedaled to provide power.


    Trolling Ė (verb), as it relates to internet, is the deliberate act, (by a Troll Ė noun or adjective), of making random unsolicited and/or controversial comments on various internet forums with the intent to provoke an emotional knee jerk reaction from unsuspecting readers to engage in a fight or argument
    You know the right word, you just refuse to use it. It's no different than if when I quoted your post to substitute "dumbass" for your name. To think you mean anything other than offense is to insult your intelligence.

    There shouldn't be any arguing about it, Bob...that.is.the.point.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,322
    Mountain Bike Action...the gold standard of bike mags...classifies ebikes as electric assisted bikes. Issue settled..

    Why so many get butt hurt so easily? Must be a joy to live with..
    lean forward

  52. #52
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,523
    Technically the pedaling requirement is easily bypassed and was only done to not risk being classified as a moped so they had a better chance at access which means more sales. Corporate ploys.

    Personally I could care less. Want to ride a pedal assist on a trail, let's go I ride with you till I cant keep up. But keep it legal. And stop denying the facts of what it is and both sides need to stop being hateful about it. Ebike has a motor, cant argue that. So stop doing it and purists need to pull the tampons out of their butts.

    If people would get along access could grow, common ground found and improve the sport for everyone. But instead everyone gets butt hurt and tries to argue undeniable fact, which only hurts their argument not helps it.


    Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

  53. #53
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,494
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    The ebikes in question have to be pedaled. The only reason to pedal a moped is to start them or if you run out of gas. So not a moped any more than a regular bike is.
    Oh FFS. The throttle being connected to the cranks is a red herring. You know that, you're just spreading a Big Lie. All you've done here is discredit, demonize, and mislead. Bad faith actor.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

  54. #54
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    8,027

    ebike shilling really really sucks.

    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Agreed. This E-bike crap sucks. Before this thread gets binned...

    Thanks for posting this and bringing it to light. I didn't know what went down or why I had seen less from Walt recently.

    This is a shame to lose such a valuable member of the community. The reasoning behind it upsets me, and makes me not want to continue contributing here.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  55. #55
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Envious much?
    Of old dentists who ride slow? LMAO!

    It does crack me up when their plastic bikes cause them so much misery:

    https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/b...l#post14449009

  56. #56
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,587
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMTB1 View Post
    Of old dentists who ride slow? LMAO!

    It does crack me up when their plastic bikes cause them so much misery:

    https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/b...l#post14449009
    Your username seems to suggest you are the one with ego issues. Especially if you are riding an ebike rather than an actual mtb. Fantasize much?
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,046
    Is there an example of where ebikes have "increased access"? Keep hearing that one, not sure how it works.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    3,097
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Is there an example of where ebikes have "increased access"? Keep hearing that one, not sure how it works.
    Bentonville is one, a majority of the state of Arkansas actually.

    Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,046
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    Bentonville is one, a majority of the state of Arkansas actually.

    Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
    I was speaking to ebikes gaining access to trails that were closed for both ebikes and traditional bikes alike. I'm assuming that's the theory put forth when it's said?

    The riding in Bentonville and area looks like it's taking off. Need to get back down there.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  60. #60
    Professional Slacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,271
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Oh FFS. The throttle being connected to the cranks is a red herring. You know that, you're just spreading a Big Lie. All you've done here is discredit, demonize, and mislead. Bad faith actor.
    What are you talking about?


    Don't project your "discredit, demonize and mislead" onto me, buddy.

    You don't have an actual argument so you toss your word vomit around as if it means something...look at yourself, look at what you're doing.

    Grow up.

    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Is there an example of where ebikes have "increased access"? Keep hearing that one, not sure how it works.
    Look at you, moving the goalposts, thinking you're clever.

    Ebike riders, like everyone else, spend money, that money encourages communities to improve riding opportunities so they can get some of that money.

  61. #61
    Professional Slacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,271
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Technically the pedaling requirement is easily bypassed and was only done to not risk being classified as a moped so they had a better chance at access which means more sales. Corporate ploys.

    Personally I could care less. Want to ride a pedal assist on a trail, let's go I ride with you till I cant keep up. But keep it legal. And stop denying the facts of what it is and both sides need to stop being hateful about it. Ebike has a motor, cant argue that. So stop doing it and purists need to pull the tampons out of their butts.

    If people would get along access could grow, common ground found and improve the sport for everyone. But instead everyone gets butt hurt and tries to argue undeniable fact, which only hurts their argument not helps it.


    Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    "Everybody" isn't butthurt. If the butthurt could stop being butthurt we could all get along.

    Because you seem to be confused,maybe this will help:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=moped

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,252
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    Just don't click on the link to open the sub-forum up?

    Before I started to help moderate here there were large parts of the forum I never opened, including the e-bike section.
    I try not to, but my surfing the site often begins with "new topics." And e-bikes area often "new topics" in the way that link defines.

  63. #63
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,494
    It's time to lock this thread. Its run its course. I regret participating.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

  64. #64
    Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,234
    Locked at request of OP.

    @scottzg: I'm sorry it went off course. I apologize that I wasn't able to provide as much clarity as to why Walt doesn't participate here anymore as many would have liked.

    DB

Similar Threads

  1. Wise man, smart man, fool
    By PapaCap in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-26-2016, 05:48 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-09-2013, 05:30 AM
  3. Man arrested man in theft of bicycle
    By mjpeters4 in forum Texas
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-10-2012, 10:55 AM
  4. Stop mucking up Parasite
    By Dwight Moody in forum Washington
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-16-2008, 12:14 AM

Members who have read this thread: 11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.