Drilling Niner WFO frame for dropper post?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Drilling Niner WFO frame for dropper post?

Hey all,

I have a '12 Niner WFO frame I'm hoping to put a hole in the seat tube for an internally routed dropper post. The frame is second hand and out of warranty, so I'm not concerned about that. I'm pretty handy with metal fab, I've built a few race cars before so I'm no stranger to drilling/bending/welding metal. What I don't know much about is the engineering behind holes in metal tubes. Any pointers on where to place the hole? I need it to be below the upper linkage pivot so I have enough room for the post/cable, but that's basically my only requirement.

I've seen a thread where David Turner recommended/complimented a forum member on doing the same modification to his Turner Burner frame and he placed the hole about an inch under the upper pivot between the support welds. I could do that, but it would be awfully close to the shock--and I could always zip tie the cable if that's the best place.
    Drilling Niner WFO frame for dropper post?-unnamed.jpgDrilling Niner WFO frame for dropper post?-unnamed-1-.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	1155380
    Any ideas/thoughts/pointers?

Thanks,
    Sam

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've also seen this from liteville: http://syntace.my1.cc/liteville/pdf/...ville_engl.pdf

I would have assumed that was too close to the weld?

Sam

You have to balance out your choices between keeping it in the thicker butted part of the tubing and actually making it physically fit. I personally would try to keep it further away from the H.A.Z. of the weld. Does Niner offer internal routing on the newer models? It would be worth a look if they do.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The newer WFO frames didn't offer internal routing either because they changed the suspension pivot to go through the seat tube. I saw this thread on Knolly Chilcotins: http://forums.mtbr.com/knolly/drilli...e-1006435.html where they copied the design of the warden, which is somewhat similar to the WFO (without the bend in the seat tube). I'm thinking I'll put the hole here (marked in red below) that way I'm pretty clear of any weld heat affected zones:

Drilling Niner WFO frame for dropper post?-wfo-frame-marked.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Iím in the same boat. Did you do this?
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8