Diy heckler front triangle- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Diy heckler front triangle

Good morning everyone just looking for a little advice on a project I'm looking to undertake over the winter.

I have a 2011 heckler and am tossing around the idea of modernizing it by building a newer front triangle and reusing the swingarm. Seems like a great way to get into frame building.

I am looking for some advice of how feasable this is. I am no stranger to metal fab, but never made a bike frame.

Things I would like from my new triangle.

-full 1.5 head tube
    -dropper post compatable
    -longer top tube
    -adjustable head angle (like a original super 8 maybe)
    -slacker head angle

Does this seem like to much to tackle?

Frame Building Moderator
    If it's from the era of Santa Cruz bikes with one-piece rear swingarms, it should be pretty easy to do this, so yeah, it's a fine first project.

You will need to come up with a way to make the main pivot (probably the most difficult thing to do here) and keep it aligned with the rest of the frame. Shock mounting points are easy (1/8" plate, hacksaw, drill), though you'll want to do some careful measuring of where things are mounted now before you start so that you can keep the leverage ratio going through the same curve.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Awesome, what I like to hear, i have connections at machine shops and laser cutting so that part should go well..

I would appreciate a little direction as far as tube selection goes example a good place to buy tubes and a good size and wall thickness of tubing to get. Also where would I find a inch and a half head tube

Frame Building Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by boostinmini View Post
    Awesome, what I like to hear, i have connections at machine shops and laser cutting so that part should go well..

I would appreciate a little direction as far as tube selection goes example a good place to buy tubes and a good size and wall thickness of tubing to get. Also where would I find a inch and a half head tube
    Those are questions that are basic enough that if you're serious, you'll read through the forum/do some googling and find answers to yourself. Come back when you've learned some basic stuff and have more specific questions.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hey Walt, i fully understand where your coming from, i have deffinitly been browsing around the forum..

I guess maybe a good start for me would be what tube diameter and gauge you would recommend for mounting suspension pivot and shock mount to?

I am not looking for somebody to do the work and tell me what to buy but I think more what would be better setup for building a front suspension triangle

mbtr member
    Hey Walt, i fully understand where your coming from, i have definitively been browsing around the forum..

I guess maybe a good start for me would be what tube diameter and gauge you would recommend for mounting suspension pivot and shock mount to?

I am not looking for somebody to do the work and tell me what to buy but I think more what would be better setup for building a front suspension triangle
    This is a bit of a 'barrier to entry' sort of question. The logic is that if you haven't figured basic stuff like that out, you don't know what you don't know. Also, you have no basis to evaluate the information you're given. Half the people here are pros whose livelihood comes from gaining that knowledge. Walt has discussed FS tubing in the past, go skim some old FS build threads and it's discussed. Really generous. Here's one example of many.

Here's a recent thread that looks relevant to your interests.

I would want a copy of Linkage. IIRC the Heckler's suspension could be improved a good deal by moving the shock mounting position.

As for the head tube, here's a list of sources.

The lukewarm responses are because half the threads in this forum are from people building their first frame with so little background they don't know what to ask. I did it too. The more specific questions and investment in design you can share, the better quality replies you will get. Some people will shit on anything and everyone, though.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    This is a bit of a 'barrier to entry' sort of question. The logic is that if you haven't figured basic stuff like that out, you don't know what you don't know. Also, you have no basis to evaluate the information you're given. Half the people here are pros whose livelihood comes from gaining that knowledge. Walt has discussed FS tubing in the past, go skim some old FS build threads and it's discussed. Really generous. Here's one example of many.

Here's a recent thread that looks relevant to your interests.

I would want a copy of Linkage. IIRC the Heckler's suspension could be improved a good deal by moving the shock mounting position.

As for the head tube, here's a list of sources.

The lukewarm responses are because half the threads in this forum are from people building their first frame with so little background they don't know what to ask. I did it too. The more specific questions and investment in design you can share, the better quality replies you will get. Some people will shit on anything and everyone, though.
    Hey thank you for the links.. I totally get what you're saying everyone wants to build a frame but very few people probably fall through with it and it's not fair to waste other people's time.

I did find that I would probably get a paragon head tube and bottom bracket so that solves some of the problems and then I was trying to find somewhere to get straight gauge tubing that seems the most plausible considering I'll be mounting suspension points to it just not sure where yet I can't seem to find any straight gauge.

As far as the suspension leverage point I was thinking of making a bolt on front shock mount so I can definitely play around with different mounts to change the way the leverage ratio is and the suspension curve if I want to realistically the bike rides great the way it is just a little short and no tapered head tube which leaves me with old Forks.

If anyone has any recommendations of where I can get straight gauge top and down tube and if there is such a thing as a 30.9 id seat tube that would be appreciated

mbtr member
    I was trying to find somewhere to get straight gauge tubing that seems the most plausible considering I'll be mounting suspension points to it just not sure where yet I can't seem to find any straight gauge.

if there is such a thing as a 30.9 id seat tube that would be appreciated
    Hmm. That's a lot of hand holding. I'll google that for you too.

If you're not interested in nerding out over the details of frame design then i'd recommend to just buy a frame with geometry you want. There's so much good stuff available now, and it doesn't even end up being dramatically more expensive than your first good frame, in my experience.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Frame Building Moderator
    Come on back when you've put in some effort, and start a new thread. You can do it, but you gotta be motivated enough to put in some work. Finding sources for straightgauge tubing should have required about 10 seconds with google. If you can't manage that, no way are you going to build a frame.

-Walt