dirtjumper bmx seat tube- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

dirtjumper bmx seat tube

Hi,
    I'm working on a 26" wheeled bmx dirtjumper project and trying to scope out a set of steel tubes. The seat tube is stumping me. The external butted seat tubes are all made for longer lengths. I need about 300-320mm length. And I need a beefy tube at the chainstay/top tube cluster for strength. I could do an external sleeve. But that seems overly complicated for this application. The seat will be super low and almost never be touched I imagine. So the ask is that it has an ID that works for some standard sized seatpost.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Buy a straight guage steel tube with enough wall thickness to ream to whatever seat post size you want? Or use a shim?

mtbr member
    Use a topper for a straight gauge chromoly tube like paragon and some others offer. If you have access to a lathe they are fairly simple to make. I would suggest avoiding an internally relieved topper for you application. I have had seat stays crack because the topper deformed. Rider was not the lightest and never seemed to rotate 360ís all the way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have just purchased some 28.6 at 1.6 wall and plan to use a standard bmx post (25.4). Hoping to try turning down the od to create an external butt at the length I want for a dj.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the ideas. I think I have a plan. I'll order some 1.25" OD .032" wall 4130 for my seat tube. And I see that there are these inserts at paragon that should nicely slide into that tube to get my seatpost clamping area:

CLMS2068: Steel Seat Collar, 1-1/4" x 27.2 mm ID, 91 mm Long, 30.8 mm Step, Relieved ID

Without a lathe, this seems like a pretty straightforward way to built my seat tube.

I have the main triangle built from 1-1/4", ie 31.8 butted tubes. So that should match up nice for the joints too.That's what I was after.

mbtr member
    I've used a sleeve a couple times, and have a frame where the builder used a collar. Both solutions seem pretty bombproof. The collar looks super clean but i'm pretty sure a sleeve is stronger and easier to implement. It's probably moot in this case since dj/bmx bikes don't lever the seat tube that much.

[i linked the actual parts i'm familiar with]
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qwkswede View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. I think I have a plan. I'll order some 1.25" OD .032" wall 4130 for my seat tube. And I see that there are these inserts at paragon that should nicely slide into that tube to get my seatpost clamping area:

CLMS2068: Steel Seat Collar, 1-1/4" x 27.2 mm ID, 91 mm Long, 30.8 mm Step, Relieved ID

Without a lathe, this seems like a pretty straightforward way to built my seat tube.

I have the main triangle built from 1-1/4", ie 31.8 butted tubes. So that should match up nice for the joints too.That's what I was after.
    If you do 360ís or anything that places a heavy side load on the seat stays avoid the relieved ID version.

Take a look at laird frame on Instagram. He has documented what he uses for seat tubes in his custom bmx frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk