Custom frame advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Custom frame advice

I designed a custom 27,5 plus frame to improve on my current HT and FS bikes based on my 2 year experience on long FC center frames and borrowing from PVD and recent threads in this forum.

I have no experience in frame design and building, would you advise on my design and tell me if it's even doable, especially regarding chainstay length and tire clearance (ideally 410 stays with space for 27.5 3" tires and clearance for 32t chainring) and stack vs FC?

My 2 bikes are a SM 2018 Orbea Rallon 29er FS bike and an M 2016 Mondraker RR+ 27.5+ hardtail.

I ride both bikes in the same places for trail\enduro type of stuff on medium\long loops with a good amount of pedaling and traversing in between ST and dh sections; I like the superior traction\speed they offer.

The new frame would be used for the same purpose and I would like to get a geo\fit better suited to my dimensions, I'm 1.65 mt tall with a 75 cm inseam, currently fit being a compromise especially on the Mondraker; the new frame would have to have a reach in between my current bikes (I feel too stretched on the Mondraker with the saddle all the way forward and kind of cramped on the Rallon) while affording a lower stack, a slacker seat angle and possibly a longer FC (for even higher speeds) and shorter chainstays for ease of unweighting the front end.

Here are the prints I made at the best of my ability with the free version of bike cad, actual stem dimensions are shown; the Rallon is a FS and the numbers are shown unsagged, but the front and rear should compensate each other; both the Mondraker and the custom frame are shown sagged, some numbers are off by a few mm on the Mondraker (HT AND REACH) because the actual frame is hydroformed alu and it's curved at the top, but it should give a pretty close idea of my setups.

thanks

custom frame with 10mm 35 degrees stoic stem
    Custom frame advice-custom10.png

custom frame with 30mm stem
    Custom frame advice-custom30.png

mondraker vantage
    Custom frame advice-vantage.png

orbea rallon
    Custom frame advice-rallon.png

pvd
    mtbr member
    The stem is a limitation. I'd stay well away of the Stoic 10mm stem. It's a terrible part. Better to start with a 40mm stem until you are an expert designer. That give you a little room if you mess up.

You'll also need to better define your dimentioning of the bars and fit. These two posts will help:

Bars, stems, and spacers | Peter Verdone Designs

I'm soooo RAD! | Peter Verdone Designs

I generally snob against 27.5" wheels because they are slow but if I can do 410mm on 29" then there is plenty of space with tiny wheels. At least give it a 29" front.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd View Post
    The stem is a limitation. I'd stay well away of the Stoic 10mm stem. It's a terrible part. Better to start with a 40mm stem until you are an expert designer. That give you a little room if you mess up.

You'll also need to better define your dimentioning of the bars and fit. These two posts will help:

Bars, stems, and spacers | Peter Verdone Designs

I'm soooo RAD! | Peter Verdone Designs

I generally snob against 27.5" wheels because they are slow but if I can do 410mm on 29" then there is plenty of space with tiny wheels. At least give it a 29" front.
    Hi pvd, thanks for the comments, I chose 27,5" plus wheels because I am getting old and I found they make riding the hardtail easier on my bones, I'm 165 cm tall, also I find them not that much slower than 29ers (probably cause I'm not that fast to begin with) especially since I started using cushcore and don't have to worry that much about cutting tires and/or running the "right" pressure.

Didn't know the stoic stem was so terrible, maybe because of the design, quality issues?

I'll work on the RAD system and see what I come up with.