Considering slider dropouts to replace standard vertical dropouts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Considering slider dropouts to replace standard vertical dropouts

Let me begin by saying I won't be doing this myself, but rather looking for a local framebuilder in MN.

I have an '07 RMB Blizzard with vertical dropouts that I would like to run SS and perhaps gain a small amount of tire clearance so am considering finding a local builder to do the job. I am thinking of Paragon sliders, but would be perfectly happy with a Surly style dropout as well. I have plans in motion for an eccentric hub and also have a Paul Melvin for a 3 speed option. However, I'm wondering about additional clearance for the rear tire. I'm not thinking the rear will magically fit plus, but if I could squeeze in a 2.4/5 on a reasonable width rim that would be nice. Currently running a 2.25 on a 19mm internal rim that has some clearance.

Where is my train of thought leading? Why am I trying to make it all work with an old bike? Am I insane?

I like the bike and as I get older I think I'll be riding the Blizzard more than my MUSS as it's more upright and better on the ol' back. I'm going to keep it regardless, but figured I would entertain all options. Thanks for any and all replies.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

Moderator Moderator
    In most cases the geometry of the dropouts won't match up well enough for the dropout replacement to be practical, at least if you want to vaguely keep the rear wheel in the correct place.

You might have a unicorn that it'll work on (I'm not familiar with the Blizzard specifically) but it's pretty unlikely. Best to ride it as-is and get a new frame at some point if you want bigger tires or what have you.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Thanks Walt. I only ask as I saw a pic of a long travel Blizzard from several years ago where the standard vertical drops were replaced with Paragon sliders. As I mentioned, I have other options in play so I'll just be happy with those.

mbtr member
    I wouldn't be too eager to do this. Rocker dropouts might keep the axle in a similar place, but they'd be a nuisance to miter. You can get a singulator for 50$ and you're not locked in to a chi-chi hub. I've never understood why singulators are always ignored. Sure, you lose 1/3rd of a watt and they're not as 'elegant,' but imo they're elegant in their preservation of geometry and ease of use. Also, your old frame is cooler when it hasn't been made weird.

My commuter is a 26" on-one inbred. Out of production, but super common. It's got the 'relaxed' vintage xc geometry you're interested in, so much steel-is-real wiggle, horizontal drops, and easily fits a 2.5" tire. Maybe track down one of those? They're cheap.

Long travel sliding dropout blizzard sounds like a bodge an not something to emulate in the modern era. We do that type of bike so much better nowadays.

I'm just trying to add to the discussion.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    I won't do anything rash Scott, I just needed Walt to tell me to get it out of my head.

I have an eccentric Eno and a Paul Melvin, so I have options for SS without fackin' the frame up. I'm familiar with On-one, I have a Fatty Trail currently, and I have a Bianchi MUSS for a dedicated SS. However, I have been thinking of selling the MUSS to move forward on some other ideas. I was brainstorming a bit and put the thought out there to get some feedback.

So, 2 strikes against... anybody wanna complete the K?

Most Delicious
    Post a picture of the dropouts, if it's an easy swap I'd say why not?