Clinking sound inside new frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

Clinking sound inside new frame

Greetings fellow mountain bikers,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but might be so here we go.
    Received my new Cotic BFEmax frame yesterday, and noticed a clinking sound inside the frame. My best bet would be that there is metal shavings rolling around in the tubes above the chain stay tubes. Been trying like a mad-man to twist and turn the frame around, but nothing comes out.
    I contacted Cotic about this with a video illustrating the problem, and was prompted to grease the breathing holes inside to bb, so that the grease could catch any parts.
    The problem however is that the clinking sound is coming from a different part of the frame, and I am unable to find any exit holes for the metal part to come out.
    I could send the frame back, but new frames wont be available until December, and this wound really screw up my whole season.
    So I ask you now if someone has any further ideas on how I could get rid of the metal part inside the frame, without drilling any holes. Also I was thinking about just letting it be, but am afraid that the clinking noise would drive be mad within a few days of riding.

The pictures I put as an attachment illustrates where the sound is originating from, and where the metal part gets stuck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clinking sound inside new frame-1.jpg  

Clinking sound inside new frame-2.jpg  

Mtn Biker Machinist

Clinking sound inside new frame

Short answer: Live with it.

Snarky answer: If you can hear it when you’re riding, you’re going too slow.

Long answer: See Short answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I would think there are some drain holes near the dropouts. Have you taken the foam off from around the dropouts yet and checked?

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Many thanks for the above advice. I took the protective foam off and hallelujah 2 possible exit holes where discovered. No luck yet in fishing the parts out, but this breathes new motivation, and if the planets align I will be able to have a rattle free frame in the near future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clinking sound inside new frame-frame3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Could try spraying some framesaver-like sprays in there. I use dinitrol ml. If you can spray enough in itll stick the rattly bit somewhere as it dries. You also get extra rust proofing so double win

Good luck!

Practice Gratitude
    Excellent news about the possible exit holes!

Off the top of my head I'm curious if you could use a strong magnet or perhaps a liquid (oil) to flush those silly debris out? Keep us updated and I'm sure you are grateful that you most likely won't have to mail it back for replacement.

Best,
    Jason
    “It never gets easier, you just get faster.” ~ Greg LeMond

2012 Specialized Carve

Practice Gratitude
    Quote Originally Posted by hillm View Post
    Could try spraying some framesaver-like sprays in there. I use dinitrol ml. If you can spray enough in itll stick the rattly bit somewhere as it dries. You also get extra rust proofing so double win

Good luck!
    Ha! Same idea. Great minds think alike.

Best,
    Jason
    “It never gets easier, you just get faster.” ~ Greg LeMond

2012 Specialized Carve

mtbr member
    I have a Cotic Solaris and the build quality is average at best. The top tube is flared well beyond the width of the seat tube. Undercut welds and excess weld protruding in a sharp point off one of the dropouts. I was very disappointed after all the positive reviews.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    if all else fails, maybe some minimal expanding spray foam to trap it in it's place.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Clinking sound inside new frame-cotic-bfe-max.jpg

Update

Got the clinking sound fixed with superglue inserted directly into the breathing holes near the rear axle. Cotic bikes where super helpful and even gave me a 50£ refund, so I could buy the necessary equipment. Overall Im very happy how the bike turned out, and the ride is smooth as silk.