Carbon Repair- Mtbr.com

Thread: Carbon Repair

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Carbon Repair

Bought a bike from a well know pro. The top of the seat tube was damaged in shipping due to what I believe was poor packaging (the pictures of packaging and damage). The bike was packed upside down with the top of the seat tube on the bottom of the box and it had no padding on it at all. I've sent it off to carbon repair. The owner has agreed to pay for the carbon repair. Do you think that this carbon repair will be as strong as the original? Do you think that the previous owner should be liable for compensation beyond the repair since the bike is probable worth less after it has a carbon repair on it? Thank you.

Carbon Repair-img_1223.jpgCarbon Repair-img_1218.jpgCarbon Repair-img_1222.jpg
    Last edited by romolo; 12-20-2018 at 11:05 AM.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Depending on who repairs it, it could feasibly be stronger than original (and heavier). So the seller is not an original manufacturer, but rather a product owner, yes? Is the previous owner liable, well you bought from a private party outside of any warranty, so I'd say no, you took a risk. The notion that the previous owner has offered to pay for the repair is quite generous of them as is, as in worth being grateful. In another situation they'd be within their powers to just shrug and say well that sucks. I'd advise that you take the kindness as it has already been offered, and don't seek any further kindness.

Sorry if that sounds harsh. Buying 3rd party things carries risks.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thank you for writing. It helps hearing what other people think about the situation. Yes, the seller was a product owner. I agree with your take on the situation. It comes with risk.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The repair will be as strong if not stronger as long as it is done correctly. If you have to fix a broken carbon frame, the seat tube is a pretty sure bet for quality repair.

As far as liability for compensation, I agree with Drew.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thank you for writing. I agree that there is risk involved. I suggest that anyone else buying an expensive carbon bike does not have it shipped. You cannot trust the person packing it and you can't trust the people who move it.

I still think that anyone that packs a real expensive frame without covering it in padding is making a big mistake and should take most of the responsibility for any damage that occurs to the thing. The bike was mailed through bikeflights and they have a whole video on how to pack a bike. It's not complicated, it just takes some patience. Anyone who has any experience shipping bikes knows that they go through hell when being shipped. The previous owner is a top pro rider and I thought I could trust them. That's my fault, but they packed the bike upside down with very little padding on it. I am hoping that the repair comes out good.

EAT MORE GRIME
    well, it is in a very repairable spot with no need to open frame, so ....if the repairer is reputable and actually does it right, should be 110% after repair
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You can do it by yourself by creating a CF ring that would wrap around the damaged area, either creating a custom lock-ring or using a wider aluminum one over it (so if the case is to use an aluminum one, care must be taken to mach the appropriate dimensions...)
    For reinforcing reasons the first layer should be of Kevlar. Then cover with CF. Use West System's G-Flex epoxy...
    Of course first you need to clear well the area.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If the damage is due to negligence on the seller to package the frame properly, he is obligated to either 1) accept a return and refund the purchase price, or 2) pay for the necessary repair (which he is doing). There is no liability for loss in the frame's value...you either accept to have it repaired, or you return the frame and move on.

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Depending on who repairs it, it could feasibly be stronger than original (and heavier). So the seller is not an original manufacturer, but rather a product owner, yes? Is the previous owner liable, well you bought from a private party outside of any warranty, so I'd say no, you took a risk. The notion that the previous owner has offered to pay for the repair is quite generous of them as is, as in worth being grateful. In another situation they'd be within their powers to just shrug and say well that sucks.
    Disagree. It is his job to get the item to the buyer as he described it.

May contain nuts
    Agree with last two posts. Trouble is itís hard to enforce so the process becomes a negotiation.

I just bought a $2000 s/h carbon frame on a whim and had it shipped across the Pacific Ocean. Would have been really difficult to return it if it was damaged due to poor packing. He hadnít used any bubble-wrap to protect the paint, or put a block between the dropouts but had used enough cardboard in critical places. Iíd give him a 7/10 but the frame was undamaged. Was a nervous unboxing.