Bikecad and or fusion 360 experts.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Bikecad and or fusion 360 experts.

I've been busy teaching myself via youtube how to use fusion 360. I know i'm bloody useless at it, but you got to start somewhere

At what point do people use 360 over bikecad? I've been using the free version of bikecad because it's nice and easy to just change tube lengths or angles and it does all the rest for you, but thats obviously only in 2D.

If i modelled an entire frame in 360, how do you go about adjusting it? So far i've drawn up a few household objects, and then these drop-outs for a hardtail i want to make. When i'm just doing the 2D sketch part it's easy, double click on a dimension and change it. If i've drawn an entire frame, and then for example don't like the toptube length, is there an easy way of just adjusting that element, or will i have to redraw the entire thing? I'm very slowly getting my head around 360, but it seems like there are about 10 different ways of doing the same thing. I guess all my ramble means i have to just learn the correct way of doing things.

Bikecad and or fusion 360 experts.-screen-shot-2019-10-23-17.44.17.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    A big part of "cad-ing" is constructing a model in a way that you can adjust it without breaking it. It is very posibble, but takes practice and an understindaing of the software. I am experienced more in solidworks than fusion but look into using relations and dimensions to fully define sketches in an efficient way. This will generate a model that can be adjusted in any dimension without turning into a cloud of tubes and numbers.

A frame(set) isnt too difficult (but not easy!), start with a sketch that defines the major dimensions (ht angle, st angle, ht lenght etc) then construct the frame around it. Im not certain in fusion, but all that can be done in bikecad can be done in solidworks, just with more effort.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I think I get you. So my sketch lines will be the centrelines of the tubes. I can adjust these lines to change my geometry. My tubes are some how constructed relative to these lines? I think I get the theory at least!

Iíve only sketched in 2D so far, Iíll have a fiddle. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Base sketch "stick figure" of a bike. All components ie tubes are constrained relative to this base sketch. Then edit the table for the base sketch's critical dimensions to move the tubes around as needed when I change my mind on things like saddle set back off bb.