Best way to design a full suspension frame (as in what software, or just paper)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Best way to design a full suspension frame (as in what software, or just paper)

Well, that title is pretty long, so I probably don't need to explain this thread much more, but here goes: I've built a about 11 bikes over the years, and after a little break, I'm building again, and one of the bikes I'm working on is full suspension. In the past I've used mostly paper after working out some design ideas in the free version of bikecad. I have got linkage x3, which has been really interesting in terms of designing the suspension, but it's a little crude in terms of designing the frame, so I'm just wondering if anyone has found something better.

Any ideas or tips would be much appreciated! Thanks so much, and I look forward to learning something.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Work out your suspension in Linkage and the rest in CAD. Fusion360 is free for personal use.

pvd
    mtbr member
    Linkage, solid modeling, and a lot of time in the machine shop. Basically, if you can't draw it in 3D, you're just wasting time, money, and metal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Fusion360 is free for personal use.
    I feel like there is an emoji for a head exploding. Somehow that seems like the right thing here. I didn't know there was a way to get a decent cad program for free. Here I've been trying to get freecad to work...unsuccessfully, I might add. Wow. I've been watching how to videos all evening. Crazy. Thanks!

And Peter, I dig it . That's pretty much why I asked. Thanks to you both for the help! I really appreciate it! Of course, none of this makes my frame come along very quickly , but hopefully the result will be a whole lot better!

mtbr member
    You can look at Lars Chistensen chanel on Youtube there's a lot of great Fusion content.

Also, Fusion have a CAM package which gives proper G-code for 3 axis and lathe. I've been using this for almost 2 years now and it's quite easy to get the basics, even for a hobbyist.

I know that there's a 5 axis module but this is way beyond what a hobbyist would need.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    They have a ton of tutorial stuff on the fusion 360 site too, so I've been checking that out. Thanks for the Lars C. tip though! I'll check that out.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bpotts View Post
    I feel like there is an emoji for a head exploding. Somehow that seems like the right thing here. I didn't know there was a way to get a decent cad program for free. Here I've been trying to get freecad to work...unsuccessfully, I might add. Wow. I've been watching how to videos all evening. Crazy. Thanks!
    I'm pretty sure I'm the only person here using FreeCAD productively. If you have any questions lemme know, I can maybe demystify a few things that have gone undocumented.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Keeping an eye on this thread. I'm possibly building a 24" wheeled full suss kids bike. I've got plenty thinking to do first tho!

Keep us updated on your progress.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm the only person here using FreeCAD productively. If you have any questions lemme know, I can maybe demystify a few things that have gone undocumented.
    I wish I could have gotten better results with FreeCad, but on every system, I run into dumb display issues that render it unusable, and I can't figure out a way around them. I'm really happy to have found Fusion360, though it seems that they're changing their free offerings, so we'll see if I got on that too late. In any case, I have a lot more tutorials to work through before I'll be able to do much there!

I also just saw that there's a full suspension CAD on bikecad, but it's a blank link. Maybe something in the works? That could be cool, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see....