Beginner question on frame damage, how to repair and/or prevent further damage?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Beginner question on frame damage, how to repair and/or prevent further damage?

Hi, first post and somewhat bike beginner, please LMK if this is misplaced.

I just got a brand new Trance 29 (2), was very excited and crashed it within the first week... Basically only laid it down sideways and walked off but it got laid down onto a rock and that was enough to chip paint in 5 places and cause one more serious looking dent.

I'm guessing at the very least i need to cover the paint chips with some kind of nail polish / polymer? The dent, same thing?

Should I have bought some kind of armored tape to have prevented this from happening?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beginner question on frame damage, how to repair and/or prevent further damage?-img_0528.jpg  

Beginner question on frame damage, how to repair and/or prevent further damage?-img_0529.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    If it's aluminum, just leave it alone.

If it's carbon, and there's a perceptible dent, you may want to have a carbon repair shop put a layer over it to prevent further cracking. But carbon is not my strong point.

I doubt tape would have prevented that, but again, frame tape isn't something I have a ton of experience with.
    Myth Cycles handbuilt bike frames
    Durango, CO
    http://www.mythcycles.com