Any good mail order anodizing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Any good mail order anodizing?

Like the title says, can anyone recommend any shops that will take one off small jobs that I can ship to and will ship my project back? I have some aluminum suspension bits I would like to change the color of... Of course I may just go an easier route, might even just strip and spray paint or could strip and have powder coated black, just wondering if there are any options out there. In a perfect world I would have the pieces anodized orange to look close enough to my Mango King hubs...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This is mail order anodizing, but totally not what you were asking for. I just stumbled upon a youtube video using this stuff, and it sort of surprised me that it even existed...

https://www.caswellplating.com/anodi...izing-kit.html
    Anodizing Kits, Aluminum Anodizing Kits, Anodize Dye Packs

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Nope not quite what I was looking for but I looked at some of those videos and the process does look pretty interesting! I would nearly like to try it but just don't have time for all that right now. I did come across one place from some old mtbr threads to look into: ATMF.COM but the idea is getting a little complicated. It seems as though bearing bores in the suspension parts might have to be masked so that their diameters aren't affected which could pose a problem with bearing fit. When I get to thinking about that it starts to seem silly to risk messing with it. If the fit wound up too loose I would be totally hosed. So far I have found that it is a common practice to mask when anodizing but I'm not sure if the areas could be protected when stripping old anodize. If I do something DIY I will just leave bearings in place while I strip the color without soaking the parts.

pvd
    mtbr member
    Call some local machine shops. They'll know plenty of people.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    maybe check in the DIY lights section of this forum.

The local anodizing shop will do small jobs. Their minimum order is 100 pounds of parts, but the price isn't horribly unreasonable. I was thinking about having my fixture anodized but decided against it. We had a project for work anodized, and it came out looking good. The thing you have to recognize is that there are no good platers or anodizers and then you won't be disappointed when your part comes back with holes in it. I'm pretty sure that happens with all of them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
    maybe check in the DIY lights section of this forum.

The local anodizing shop will do small jobs. Their minimum order is 100 pounds of parts, but the price isn't horribly unreasonable. I was thinking about having my fixture anodized but decided against it. We had a project for work anodized, and it came out looking good. The thing you have to recognize is that there are no good platers or anodizers and then you won't be disappointed when your part comes back with holes in it. I'm pretty sure that happens with all of them.
    Ha, well spray paint it is then!

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
    The thing you have to recognize is that there are no good platers or anodizers and then you won't be disappointed when your part comes back with holes in it. I'm pretty sure that happens with all of them.
    This is the truth! We are on our 5th anodizer in 7 years of business. Collectively they've scrapped about 40k worth of parts over the years and nobody will stand up and take credit for their errors. It was a race to the bottom and they found it! You can't really fault them for not standing behind their work when none of their competitors will. We have had luck over the last year with a shop outside of Portland that does good work. Problem is they are super busy and take a while to turn parts around and aren't exactly cheap. It's better than scrapping a bunch of parts though!

turtles make me hot
    Years ago, Hot Rod Magazine ran an article on anodizing at home. I had 3/4 of the stuff required in my diesel shop so I gave it a whirl. Actually getting an anodized finish was easy. Getting the temperature and time in the dye right for color was maddening. Any red stuff always came out orange no matter how I tried.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Years ago, Hot Rod Magazine ran an article on anodizing at home. I had 3/4 of the stuff required in my diesel shop so I gave it a whirl. Actually getting an anodized finish was easy. Getting the temperature and time in the dye right for color was maddening. Any red stuff always came out orange no matter how I tried.
    Iíve seen a few youtube videos now, enough to make it look possible in the garage but Itíll have to be an experiment for another time. I was thinking it might be worthwhile even just to dye the parts black.

I wound up spray painting the pieces flat black for now so weíll see if that holds up at all. My biggest fear like I said is totally stripping the anodize in the bearing bores and then having too loose of a fit for the bearings which are a press fit. It might not make enough of a difference to matter but Iím not sure.

Another idea I had while digging around in the garage was to use some ďAluminum BlackĒ which is a gunsmithing product to give aluminum parts a black finish. That might be perfect but I couldnít get an even finish on a test piece so that would take some troubleshooting to figure out.