Aluminum weld repair- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Aluminum weld repair

I apologize this is not a frame building question and rather a repair question but I figure you all probably have the most relevant experience and knowledge. The frame in question is constructed of 7005 series aluminum and I just discovered a small hairline crack in the end of a weld bead.

The crack by my estimation and by others opinions is possibly a defect from the manufacturing process rather than from fatigue or riding stress. I am told also that this is a non load bearing part and should be safe to ride. I showed a friend with a good amount of TIG experience and he thought it would be no big deal to just hit it with the TIG and fuse it back together. I know this is kind of an in general question without being able to see the frame but what are the chances this might work alright? I donít know how similar it is to soldering where I could see this working.

It sure seems like this would work but of course my fear is making it worse or creating a bigger problem. I might just be a tad ocd but I would be 10x happier I think if this small crack was gone. Are there any issues with doing this I donít know about? If Iím not clear, in this location I am not really concerned with the strength and true integrity of the weld I just want it closed up and donít want it to spread. I will try to post a picture if I can figure out how. Thank you to anyone with advice!
    Last edited by trailsnales; 06-05-2018 at 06:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    What frame is it? Warranty?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    If this were my frame, I would attend to the crack in question. I would consider stripping the bike down to the bare the frame and having it professionally repaired, but this may be an overreaction.

What do you use the bike for?

EAT MORE GRIME
    100% of an aluminum frame flexes and bends to some degree, however microscopic, regardless of load bearing or not

cracks will only grow larger over time

pic plz of the frame and crack if you want meaningful commentary
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

turtles make me hot
    I cracked my aluminum 907 right where the top tube and seat tube intersect. I showed it to a friend that welds. He said he could fix it. I figured what have I got to lose and let him have at it. He tig'd it and I'm still riding the bike two years later.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I cracked my aluminum 907 right where the top tube and seat tube intersect. I showed it to a friend that welds. He said he could fix it. I figured what have I got to lose and let him have at it. He tig'd it and I'm still riding the bike two years later.
    In this case did you have base material cracked or just a weld? Did you grind out around the crack?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1528204677
    See if this works...
    This picture is zoomed in pretty far, the crack I would call hairline. There is another one in the same spot on the other side of the frame but it is even smaller than this one. The manufacturer I would rather not say because they have been supportive to the extent that they can be I believe, the frame is not currently replaceable.

EAT MORE GRIME
    what is that section of the frame ? post a zoomed out version

BUT

that weld is a bad blob of weld, totally unprofessional work and I could
    have predicted that cracking just by seeing that. WTF ? unacceptable.

that is a grade-school welding f**kup if I ever saw one. that crack started from the moment it started cooling. fail, common to welding mistakes in tech school.

that can be ground down and rewelded properly, so ...fixable with the correct
    welding setup.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by trailsnales View Post
    In this case did you have base material cracked or just a weld? Did you grind out around the crack?
    He ground it out and welded it back in with filler rod. I'll post a pic if I have one. BRB.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Name:  Crack.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  19.7 KBName:  IMG_1215.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  98.6 KBName:  IMG_1216.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  25.9 KB

Top pic is the crack right when I discovered it.

Now that it's held up for a while, I'm going to have the frame powder coated again.
    I like turtles