3d Printer Frame Building Tools/Accessories- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2016

3d Printer Frame Building Tools/Accessories

Hey guys, I'm getting into frame building but unfortunately wont be able to try to start my first frame for a couple months. I'm however, in a position, where I am learning to weld and have access to a 3d plastics printer/CNC/full metal shop for the next couple months. What tools/accessories do you guys think are printable or tools with at least partially printed parts that could be made?

I already designed and printed tube blocks in a bunch of different sizes I think I might need. Also, designing a tube bender fixture and am going to print the dyes/follow blocks. Thinking I could print v-blocks to use with a full size drawing. Or anyone have other ideas for jig parts?

I'm thinking about trying to engineer my own model of the anvil bike tools front and rear tab fixtures since they're not sold anymore. If anyone has a link to needed dimensions or anything like that. I'd be truly appreciative.

Thanks!

pvd
    mtbr member
    I thought you just posted pretty pictures?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Think you have me confused with someone else?

pvd
    mtbr member

pvd
    mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd View Post
    Nope, not me. Not sure why you would try to cyber sleuth?

Regardless, thanks for your blog. I've been through a lot of your posts in the past couple months. Lots of knowledge there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    From my experience Iíd say make youíre tooling as robustly (obviously) and as flexible as possible. I originally only planned to make a road bike or 2, but have eventually made mountain bikes, kids bikes, full suspension...etc Iím glad I engineered in a great deal of adjustability into my jig. Definitely saved me a lot of time in the long run. That isnít to say I wouldnít do it differently next time, but you have to start somewhere.

Do you know what you plan on building?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I have used printing a bit to construct stuff for my jig and little odds and ends. It comes in very handy. You often will have to overbuild to achieve acceptable rigidity in some parts. Printing in PETG or ABS will help that a bit tho.

Ive seen someone on instagram print bending dies, he printed a hollow shape then filled it with resin, seemed to work quite well. There is a lot of scope for cool things for sure

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hillm View Post

Ive seen someone on instagram print bending dies, he printed a hollow shape then filled it with resin, seemed to work quite well. There is a lot of scope for cool things for sure
    So printed a mold, and used it to cast resin?. Or actually filled a plastic part with resin to make it strong? Iím very intrigued!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    https://www.instagram.com/3d_magic_mike/

This guy is using 3d printing to it's potential.

He has printed molds, added resign to stiffen molds and stamped steep with the printed mold.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqdamE1lfly/

No shortage of fabrication inspiration coming from his Datsun project.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Cheers Shirk, yep that is definitely a use of 3D printing that interests me, need to hone my CAD skills some more so I can have a go. And I also have an affinity for Datsunís, I spent many years working on Skylines.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    https://www.instagram.com/3d_magic_mike/

This guy is using 3d printing to it's potential.

He has printed molds, added resign to stiffen molds and stamped steep with the printed mold.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqdamE1lfly/

No shortage of fabrication inspiration coming from his Datsun project.
    Clever.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (officialy in 2016, functionally in 2020).

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    This thread inspired me to upload a CAD model of tube vise jaws that I designed and 3D printed: https://grabcad.com/library/v-block-...be-vise-jaws-1

I haven't used these much. I'm new to frame building.

I ended up buying wooden tube blocks from The Bicycle Academy, the main reason for this being that their set includes a tube block for holding tapered tubes, although one of these could probably also be 3D printed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Checking back in, I've made several tube blocks that have worked very well. In addition, I'm making a tube bender out of plastics. This stuff is incredibly strong if you pay attention to orientation and several of the other print settings. I saw someone posted an open source disc tab jig and I plan on making it out of plastic and metal hardware.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think the equipment to 3D print metal is prohibitively expensive but as mentioned above there are other ways to use a 3D printer.
    There's a guy on Youtube, Two Stroke Stuffing, who's trying to build the most powerful 50cc scooter engine.
    He has a series of videos where he casts his own cylinder from a 3D printed part (he designs and prints the part, uses it to make a female mold and burns the plastic out of the mold).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm going to try use this on a bamboo build next month, PM180 disc tool I made using the tech drawings on peter verdone.

With Bamboo its only needed to tack the fittings with epoxy. Maybe it would withstand a welders torch if i wrap it in tinfoil? haha
    Attached Images Attached Images  

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedling View Post
    With Bamboo its only needed to tack the fittings with epoxy. Maybe it would withstand a welders torch if i wrap it in tinfoil? haha
    * five alarm chili warnings going off in my head *

Yo I made some bamboo builds before I decided to pursue this frame building stuff exclusively. You're gonna want some fiber reinforcement beyond just a dab of adhesive. The reason for this is the bamboo is anisotropic and bound together with lignin. It doesn't have fantastic shear strength over a short distance. And, yeah, sure, maybe brake mounts don't experience a lot of shear, BUT, it's not a thing you want to risk.

Also the torch-as-bonding idea on bamboo just straight isn't going to work. Torching bamboo is usually done with light "kisses" of flame for cosmetic effect only.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I know Drew, ive built plenty before and i've also enjoyed your build threads.

The torch thing was a joke referring to the fact that the tool wouldn't be much use if I were to use it in a traditional way (on a metal bike)

Cheers

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedling View Post
    I know Drew, ive built plenty before and i've also enjoyed your build threads.

The torch thing was a joke referring to the fact that the tool wouldn't be much use if I were to use it in a traditional way (on a metal bike)

Cheers
    *phew*

I was hoping you're joking, but if there's one thing 2020 has taught me, take NOTHING for granted and always clarify.

Sorry to ruin your sense of humor at the moment. whomp whomp