Folding bikes more popular in Asia than the US?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

Folding bikes more popular in Asia than the US?

Hi Thor,
    Dahon brand started in the US and it seems like there are more Dahon owners in Asia than the US? Just curious.
    Last edited by Opae_Ula_Related; 1 Week Ago at 08:30 PM.

turtles make me hot
    I think there's more people in Asia than the US. Stands to reason there would be more Dahon owners.

I have two Dahons, BTW.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I think there's more people in Asia than the US. Stands to reason there would be more Dahon owners.

I have two Dahons, BTW.
    Sounds logical! We are a family of 5 and we all have fold bikes, 4 of them are Dahons!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The typical/average/etc. USA living space is larger, auto is larger, city is less dense and proportionally fewer use collective transit. I'm not in the industry and I don't have any numbers, but my impression is that the percent of folders in the bicycle population of North America is much lower than in Eurasia.

Dr. Hon got started in America, but his stated goal from the earliest days was to put the whole world on greener wheels.

turtles make me hot
    Makes sense. I got mine to use for commuting. I live much too far to ride the whole way so I use the railroad. During rush hour, only folders are allowed on the train.
    I like turtles

since 4/10/2009
    Can't help but wonder about the advantages of folding bikes across most of the USA.

Honestly don't see many. If you do multi-modal transit like NYrr, yeah, it's obvious. Multi-modal simply isn't an option for me. Most cities' "public transit" networks are trash and therefore not really effective for anyone except those who simply cannot afford a more effective option. I've lived plenty of places where riding a bike 40+ miles round trip is a better option than taking the bus even part of that route.

Only other advantage of a folder is storage. I certainly don't have storage problems at home. Work might be a different story for some. But IME, most workplaces in the USA either have space for a full-sized bicycle or no bicycle at all. There aren't many workplaces where you have storage space for a folding bike specifically, but not a full-sized one.

mtbr member
    May 2019

Folding bikes more popular in Asia than the US?

Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Makes sense. I got mine to use for commuting. I live much too far to ride the whole way so I use the railroad. During rush hour, only folders are allowed on the train.
    Same here in the SF Bay Area with Bart or Caltrains. Also like the idea of putting a folding bike in the back of a car trunk and ride whenever!
    Last edited by Opae_Ula_Related; 6 Hours Ago at 07:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yep!

Name:  companion.png
Views: 8
Size:  348.9 KB