Mutz as a Mixer Plus?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Mutz as a Mixer Plus?

Just curious if anybody has thought of creating a Mixer Plus using a Mutz frame. The idea is to run a 27.5" x 3" rear and a 29" x 3" front. Using a Manitou Magnum fork, everything should bolt right on with plenty of clearance. The main issue would be raising the front end of the bike too much while lowering the rear slightly. I calculated the following;
    Bluto 120mm axle to crown is 531mm
    Magnum 120mm is 550mm
    A gain of 19mm
    26x4" wheel diameter is 660mm
    29x3 is 698mm
    A gain of 38mm but divided by two to get amount it would raise axle is 19mm
    Overall, running this front end with the same 120mm travel would raise it a total of 38mm which would def be too slack.
    Running the Magnum at 100mm would be in the acceptable range, only raising it 19mm or the equalivent of running a 140mm fork in place of the 120mm Bluto
    The question is, would the 29" plus with 100mm travel be any better than a 27.5" plus with a 140mm fork?
    Is it a crazy idea or will it work? If anyone has access to a Trek Stache to borrow the front end, I would love to hear the results!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Check out timberline Facebook page - I *think* one of their guys tried it

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tvan View Post
    Just curious if anybody has thought of creating a Mixer Plus using a Mutz frame. The idea is to run a 27.5" x 3" rear and a 29" x 3" front. Using a Manitou Magnum fork, everything should bolt right on with plenty of clearance. The main issue would be raising the front end of the bike too much while lowering the rear slightly. I calculated the following;
    Bluto 120mm axle to crown is 531mm
    Magnum 120mm is 550mm
    A gain of 19mm
    26x4" wheel diameter is 660mm
    29x3 is 698mm
    A gain of 38mm but divided by two to get amount it would raise axle is 19mm
    Overall, running this front end with the same 120mm travel would raise it a total of 38mm which would def be too slack.

Running the Magnum at 100mm would be in the acceptable range, only raising it 19mm or the equalivent of running a 140mm fork in place of the 120mm Bluto
    The question is, would the 29" plus with 100mm travel be any better than a 27.5" plus with a 140mm fork?
    Is it a crazy idea or will it work? If anyone has access to a Trek Stache to borrow the front end, I would love to hear the results!
    I just got a RS 120 Pike 27.5+/29 boost and the A-c is 531mm.Lots of room for a big 29er but too tight for a 29+.

BTW,my 29 x 2.35 is around 740mm diameter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have the wheels to do this set up, but with a 150mm fork I am already really slack. Personally, I'd rather have the extra fork travel than a taller front wheel.

That said, I'll probably give it a whirl this Spring...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Need to look into it but will a zero stack lower headset work? That would reduce the rise by about 5mm
    Nurse Ben, I agree, not sure I would trade travel for a larger wheel but then that was the thinking when 29ers first came out.
    I've seen 29+ wheels on Bluto forks so that would only raise my front about 10mm. Will a 29+ fit the rear as well?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

29plus on front of Mutz with Bluto

Mutz as a Mixer Plus?-image.jpg
    I have a demo Trek Stache for the weekend and while I don't really like the bike it did give me the opportunity to test fit some 29plus wheels.
    The rear was rubbing but I managed to get it on just for some measurements. The front fit ok with about 1/4" of clearance. I need to look into different rim/tire options to see if I can find a slightly smaller diameter option for the rear. If that still doesn't work I will go 27plus in rear and see how the geometry feels.
    I don't want to go with 27 plus in front unless I get a longer travel fork. I can't afford to lower the BB any more than it is. I'm running 170mm cranks and even after adjusting my riding style they still hit more often than I like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mutz as a Mixer Plus?-image.jpg  

Front Range Colorado

Timberline folks

Quote Originally Posted by a63vette View Post
    Check out timberline Facebook page - I *think* one of their guys tried it
    They definitely have. Give mike there a call, very friendly guy, and very
    into discussing mixed wheel options.
    :madman:

"When debating a fool, retreat is the only option"
    Richard N Busternutt

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Nice, let me know how you like it if you get to yours first. Mike at Timberline has an adjustable headset to correct headtube angle if you want to stick with 150mm. I would think 140 with the plus front tire would be sweet

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Wren fits a 29+ with room to spare, there's at least 1/2" with a Surly DW.

In back a 29er is a no go, 1/8" clearance at best with the smaller DW's, good for pavement, no bueno for mud.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Ok. Thanks. Going to try an experiment this weekend, leaving 26x4 FBN up front and installing a 26x3 Knard in rear. I figure it will be equivalent diameters of standard Mixer wheels but wider and I will save almost a pound on rear wheel. If I like it I will be motivated to try 27.5x3 and 29x3. My rear FBN has a sidewall slash that keeps looking worse anyway

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Now there is a 29+ specific boost pike, announced the day after mine arrived of course

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Finally got around to swapping wheels, 29+ Dirt Wizard/27+ WTB Trail Boss 3.0, Wren 150, CCInline 140.

Just a quick jaunt up the hill was enough for me, I'm buckling up for a longer ride now.

At 65deg HTA, it's the slackest bike I've ridden, but it doesn't feel slack, it feels super stable, climbs like a beast, and it's pretty agile all things considered.

I can't say for sure if the backend is quicker to come around than 27+ on both ends, but that's my initial impression.

Pics tomorrow.

Edit: just got back, very interesting ride, I'm honestly surprised it made such a difference. I rode a tight little loop of single track through the woods, ups and downs, lots of transitions, tight banked turns, off camber, a few modest jumps.

Taking turns with the bigger wheel took some getting used to, I kept worrying about pushing the wheel though the turn, but it grabbed a whole lot better than the 27+ on both ends. The back end was easier to slide /squirt than with 27+ on both ends.

The bike felt a tad awkward until I adjusted to the feel, after 45 minutes I was starting to get comfortable.

I finished the ride with a run down a jump line I've done many times and it was by far the cleanest and biggest I've ever gone. That big wheel slacked out, was just awesome!

I've never really ridden a DH bike, but I now feel like I'm riding one

Bottom line: I'm leaving the 29+ on and looking at an angleset to quicken the handling.

Edit: added an angleset, +1 deg, there is some added stack due to the added gimbals, so I'm right around 66 deg HTA. A quick spin up the hill felt good, quite a bit quicker, less heaviness in the steering.

Going to a 140mm travel fork would bring the stack down and get my STA a little more into the normal range.

All in all, the Mutz is by far the most versatile bike I've owned: 29+/27+, 27+, 26 4, 29+ (dry only).

More riding tomorrow.

Mutz as a Mixer Plus?-20160427_185124_resized-1-.jpg
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 04-29-2016 at 08:32 AM.