mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Foes ridgeback 29er and 27.5er

In case you Foes fans havenít heard already...

https://www.bikerumor.com/2018/04/03...d-29-versions/

...exciting stuff from Brent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Since the beans have been spilled. . .

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Got rocks?
    Thatís a nice looking bike. Sure wouldnít mind trying one out.

mtbr member
    Looks far better without the arched "dog crapping" top tube most builders are equipping these days.

mtbr member
    Foes ridgeback 29er and 27.5er-30412623_10155619762808985_8869955022201290752_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Fantastic looking bike. Odd that MTBR can't be bothered to post the work of a legend Like Brent Foes but they have a ton of piddly stuff on the front page.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider View Post
    Fantastic looking bike. Odd that MTBR can't be bothered to post the work of a legend Like Brent Foes but they have a ton of piddly stuff on the front page.
    I agree the Ridgeback looks badass Would love to test one out.

I'd imagine companies have to pay MTBR for front page content. Foes really doesn't need to advertise, word of mouth and quality not quantity applies. I think Brent likes it that way and so do I.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Gorgeous - my mutz needs a friend!

Just Ride!
    I have ridden hardtails for ever and have often thought about getting a full suspension bike... This is the first thing I have seen that has motivated me to think more seriously about it.

mtbr member
    Any news out there on when these will be available? My broken Lynskey FS is due back from repair today but I'd rather spend the effort on a durable frame from my favorite builder.

Got rocks?
    I stopped by the shop a while back to check out a mixer and i think they are getting closer. They had pieces of ridgebacks all over getting ready.

mtbr member
    I called them yesterday, they're building now for Mid-late August delivery.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Any ride reports on these?

fraid of heights
    Can't really blame mtbr for not having something on the bike when Foes website doesn't have any info on the bike other than "pre order now", then nothing else... (I miss the days when bike makers went to Interbike and MTBR.com had all the coverage, it was cool! Course the flip side is we get new bikes all year long now...?)

The Ridgeback "looks" like a cool bike. Looks to be several out in the wild. But I don't see any testing or reviews yet? Someone mentioned theirs being 2lbs heavier than a 5010. I assume that's a carbon to aluminum comparison. (I think there is also an aluminum 5010 available?) Don't know how much of that was build difference? And don't know enough about the Ridgeback to know if that's an apples to apples comparison to a 5010. (the newest 5010 is longer travel and more aggressive geo so maybe? Sort of almost took over for the last bronson and the bronson got a little bigger/badder, etc.) 2 lbs isn't the end of the world, but it's a higher penalty than I'd expect. Makes me wonder how effective all the machining and assembly work is? I mean it's awesome! No doubt about that... Anyway, would be cool to see some for sure apples to apples weight comparisons.

The same facebook post on the Ridgeback mentions the weight was worth it because of it pedaling better than the 5010. I know suspension kinematics and dampeners have come a long way and just about any suspension design can be made effective these days. But it would still take some back to back test riding to convince me a linkage driven SP pedals better than a dual mini link bike? (course maybe if it was a first gen 5010/SOLO, but still from all reviews they "pedaled" very well, just could be a little harsh depending on the rider/shock tune)

Anyway, I could see someone saying it pedals good enough that the difference doesn't matter? But new SC bikes seem to pedal pretty amazing to me?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Everytime you ride in mud, god kills a kitten.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by stiingya View Post
    Can't really blame mtbr for not having something on the bike when Foes website doesn't have any info on the bike other than "pre order now", then nothing else... (I miss the days when bike makers went to Interbike and MTBR.com had all the coverage, it was cool! Course the flip side is we get new bikes all year long now...?)

The Ridgeback "looks" like a cool bike. Looks to be several out in the wild. But I don't see any testing or reviews yet? Someone mentioned theirs being 2lbs heavier than a 5010. I assume that's a carbon to aluminum comparison. (I think there is also an aluminum 5010 available?) Don't know how much of that was build difference? And don't know enough about the Ridgeback to know if that's an apples to apples comparison to a 5010. (the newest 5010 is longer travel and more aggressive geo so maybe? Sort of almost took over for the last bronson and the bronson got a little bigger/badder, etc.) 2 lbs isn't the end of the world, but it's a higher penalty than I'd expect. Makes me wonder how effective all the machining and assembly work is? I mean it's awesome! No doubt about that... Anyway, would be cool to see some for sure apples to apples weight comparisons.

The same facebook post on the Ridgeback mentions the weight was worth it because of it pedaling better than the 5010. I know suspension kinematics and dampeners have come a long way and just about any suspension design can be made effective these days. But it would still take some back to back test riding to convince me a linkage driven SP pedals better than a dual mini link bike? (course maybe if it was a first gen 5010/SOLO, but still from all reviews they "pedaled" very well, just could be a little harsh depending on the rider/shock tune)

Anyway, I could see someone saying it pedals good enough that the difference doesn't matter? But new SC bikes seem to pedal pretty amazing to me?
    I honestly dont care about 2 pounds at the frame. It matter the least on the frame. My Foes hardtail is about 27 pounds, but feels like when riding.

I agree though l, the website should have geometry, and more info.

They, ideally, would have a few test bikes to send to Bike mags, or at least YouTube bike channels to go through. You cant compete with the larger brands without gains some traction with the media channels. At least enough, that when a potential customer Google searches for that bike, it would show up. I am aware that most Foes bikes are repeat customers, but still. The ridgeback has massive curb appeal, is modern, and honestly a great deal. It could be a popular frame. Hell, I want one, and I'm normally into carbon superbikes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I just made the switch to an aluminum frame which was 2.75lbs heavier than the carbon one it replaced. The extra weight was nothing......

Aluminum frames seem to be $800+ cheaper than their counter parts. I would spend the money saved on the aluminum frame on better wheels, brakes, fork, etc. Those 3 things make a much greater difference in the ride than frame weight.

mtbr member
    I really like the look of this bike but I was expecting it to be a 29/27.5+ compatible design; apparently you have to choose one or the other.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider View Post
    I really like the look of this bike but I was expecting it to be a 29/27.5+ compatible design; apparently you have to choose one or the other.
    I'm pretty sure that's not true. Did you call them?

It's just 27.5 or 29/27.5+

mtbr member
    I thought I read that the Ridgeback is designed to fit up to 2.6 tires.
    But I can fit a 2.6 on my Mixer Trail with plenty of clearance and the Mixer Trail is supposedly designed for up to a 2.4 tire.
    Curious to know if the Ridgeback 29 is actually capable of fitting 27.5+.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's not true. Did you call them?

It's just 27.5 or 29/27.5+

Yes, I went through the pre-order process with them and they asked if I wanted 27.5 or 29. I may have made up the 27.5+ part, I'm old and I've been shopping a number of bikes but I recall very clearly the tire size question.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hey guys! Yeah I've had my eye on that Ridgeback for a while now. On Instagram they stated that it would fit 2.6 inch tires, so likely no plus option for this one. Yeah I wish they'd get their info out a little more. I'm looking for a mid travel aluminum bike to beat up during enduro races to save my carbon top spec trail machine. I may have a chance to visit their shop early next year, will see about taking one out to the trails and perhaps write up a review of no one has by then.

The dark side is quicker
    I will be picking up my 29er after Christmas. Should be built and riding shortly after new years. I'll follow up with a ride report then.

I was worried about the rumors of SuperBoost, seems the prototype was 157x12, but production models are 148x12. Awesome!
    "The Truth is Absolution."

mtbr member
    Is the production Ridgeback geometry the same as what is listed in the Bikerumor article?

The dark side is quicker
    They sent me the 29 geo chart last week. There are a couple small differences. HT* was previously shown as 67, but the one they sent me was 66*.

Iíll post the 29er chart when I get home.
    Last edited by evilbullit; 12-16-2018 at 12:54 PM.

The dark side is quicker

RB 29 Geo

This is what I got last week.

Foes ridgeback 29er and 27.5er-rb-29-.jpg

The Fastest of Bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by evilbullit View Post
    This is what I got last week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RB 29 .jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	1229211
    That's awesome then. 66 is a really nice sweet spot for trail 29ers.

The dark side is quicker
    That's awesome then. 66 is a really nice sweet spot for trail 29ers.

Yes it is. I work at a bike shop and have access to 5 or 6 brands, all that make trail 29ers, 66-67 is where I want to be. That ST* is really whats impressive, it changes everything about long travel 29ers.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Yes it is. I work at a bike shop and have access to 5 or 6 brands, all that make trail 29ers, 66-67 is where I want to be. That ST* is really whats impressive, it changes everything about long travel 29ers.
    Totally. My Foes Analog is fairly close to the Ridgeback, and it rides amazingly.

The dark side is quicker
    Totally. My Foes Analog is fairly close to the Ridgeback, and it rides amazingly.

That is excellent to hear.
    This will be my first Foes! Wanted a Fly way back when, but could never afford one.
    Even going to the "mother ship" to pick it up and take a tour over the holidays.

The Fastest of Bananas
    That is excellent to hear.
    This will be my first Foes! Wanted a Fly way back when, but could never afford one.
    Even going to the "mother ship" to pick it up and take a tour over the holidays.
    Sick! I want a Ridgeback as my second one. If I didnt have an Sworks Stumpjumper, I would get a Foes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Question if the mixed wheel 27.5 in back 29 in front has so much to offer why did they not make this new bike that way, just curious
    Quote Originally Posted by incubus View Post
    In case you Foes fans havenít heard already...

https://www.bikerumor.com/2018/04/03...d-29-versions/

...exciting stuff from Brent.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMSLICK View Post
    Question if the mixed wheel 27.5 in back 29 in front has so much to offer why did they not make this new bike that way, just curious
    I thought the same thing. Maybe looking for more customers? It is a niche market for mixed wheel setups.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMSLICK View Post
    The Mixer Trail can be setup 140mm or 150mm rear travel...the Ridgeback is 140mm rear travel.

The Mixer Trail is a bad ass bike - have mine set up 160F/ 150R travel - would love to have a 29er Ridgeback 140F/R as well...but curious to see the next gen Mixers before I do anything.

mtbr member
    Not enough pictures of the Ridgeback out there, so here's a picture of mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foes ridgeback 29er and 27.5er-rb275.jpg  

The dark side is quicker
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104 View Post
    So awesome!
    Thanks for posting, even though it makes me a little angry. 5 days until I pick mine up :-(

mtbr member
    Nice setup...what fork is that? Ride impressions?

The Fastest of Bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by sgill32 View Post
    Sure looks like a Fox 36.

Fox is the way to go if you like firm, supportive suspension.

If you like lively, DVO is the way. I own both, and it depends on the day which is prefer.

mtbr member
    So awesome!
    Thanks for posting, even though it makes me a little angry. 5 days until I pick mine up :-(
    It will be worth the wait! The quality is top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by sgill32 View Post
    As FastBanana said it's a Fox 36 RC2. I had lowers painted by a friend that's does auto body. I'm very happy with the bike overall. It does everything with easy. Good climber and even better on descents. The bike makes steep, rough stuff feel easy. I do find the fork a little lacking even with a Vorsprung Luftkappe. Currently got something special in the works for a fork...

Sure looks like a Fox 36.

Fox is the way to go if you like firm, supportive suspension.

If you like lively, DVO is the way. I own both, and it depends on the day which is prefer.

I agree. The current Rockshox Lyrik RC2 feels better than my Fox 36 in my opinion. I had an early DVO Diamond on my previous bike and liked it but it always made a terrible noise from the coil negative springs and DVO didn't really help fix the problem, so it had to go.

The Fastest of Bananas
    It will be worth the wait! The quality is top notch.

As FastBanana said it's a Fox 36 RC2. I had lowers painted by a friend that's does auto body. I'm very happy with the bike overall. It does everything with easy. Good climber and even better on descents. The bike makes steep, rough stuff feel easy. I do find the fork a little lacking even with a Vorsprung Luftkappe. Currently got something special in the works for a fork...

I agree. The current Rockshox Lyrik RC2 feels better than my Fox 36 in my opinion. I had an early DVO Diamond on my previous bike and liked it but it always made a terrible noise from the coil negative springs and DVO didn't really help fix the problem, so it had to go.
    Thanks for the feedback.

I haven't tried the new lyric, but the Cane Creek Helm is next on my list to try.

Also have the new Fox 36 Grip2 laying around...

mtbr member
    I had a Helm... I have had many forks... I used to work at a bike shop and I continue to chase a fork that matches or comes close to matching the rear suspension of today's bikes. I would say the Cane Creek is fairly similar to the Fox with Fit 4 RC2 damper. Can't say anything about the Grip 2 damper. The Helm is definitely a good fork. The tune-ability is great on the air side. I always left the damper in the lowest compression settings for both LSC and HSC. The Helm did really well when going fast. At medium to low speeds it left something to be desired. Hope that helps.

It's also worth noting that Cane Creek doesn't seem to want the end user of their forks to service the damper when the time comes. Not something that is great when it does need service.

The dark side is quicker
    Ive got an MRP Ribbon Coil 150mm going on mine.

The Fastest of Bananas
    I had a Helm... I have had many forks... I used to work at a bike shop and I continue to chase a fork that matches or comes close to matching the rear suspension of today's bikes. I would say the Cane Creek is fairly similar to the Fox with Fit 4 RC2 damper. Can't say anything about the Grip 2 damper. The Helm is definitely a good fork. The tune-ability is great on the air side. I always left the damper in the lowest compression settings for both LSC and HSC. The Helm did really well when going fast. At medium to low speeds it left something to be desired. Hope that helps.

It's also worth noting that Cane Creek doesn't seem to want the end user of their forks to service the damper when the time comes. Not something that is great when it does need service.
    That's great help. I don't care about how forks behave going slow, as long as they are divey in the steps.

Full open on compression? How much do you weight? (Also a shop rat)

mtbr member
    Ive got an MRP Ribbon Coil 150mm going on mine.
    I have had an MRP Ribbon, but not the coil version. I thought it was good, but it had a warranty issue and used that a chance to try something else when it went away.

That's great help. I don't care about how forks behave going slow, as long as they are divey in the steps.

Full open on compression? How much do you weight? (Also a shop rat)

Full open on both HSC and LSC. I am 200lbs geared up. Also worth noting that my local trails don't have much in the way of jumps or drops. Maybe 2ft drop at the most. This is partially why I ran my compression full open. But Pinkbike also noted similar findings to me for compression settings. I've noticed with pretty much all forks that when temperatures drop for the winter in my area (Northern CA) forks perform significantly worse than in the warmer seasons. And where I live our winters are pretty mild. With that said the Helm really did not seem to like the 30-40 degree weather. Seemed odd to me... not sure if this was based purely on the oil in the damper or other factors.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good looking rig. Is that the 29er? Size large?

The dark side is quicker

New Happy Foes Owner!

Well, after procrastinating for a week...here is a pic of my new Ridgeback 29.

Ridgeback 29, XL, Raw Aluminum Finish
    Topaz Air 3 Shock
    MRP Ribbon Coil fork, 150mm
    Race Face Next R wheels
    Next R cranks
    Next R bars
    Turbine R stem
    Turbine R Dropper (150mm)
    Eagle X01 Groupset
    Shimano Zee brakes
    Maxxis Assagai Front
    Maxxis Minion SS Rear

Coming in at a svelte 32lbs.
    Realize almost 6 pounds of that is tire!

Foes ridgeback 29er and 27.5er-img_0255.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, after procrastinating for a week...here is a pic of my new Ridgeback 29.

Ridgeback 29, XL, Raw Aluminum Finish
    Topaz Air 3 Shock
    MRP Ribbon Coil fork, 150mm
    Race Face Next R wheels
    Next R cranks
    Next R bars
    Turbine R stem
    Turbine R Dropper (150mm)
    Eagle X01 Groupset
    Shimano Zee brakes
    Maxxis Assagai Front
    Maxxis Minion SS Rear

Coming in at a svelte 32lbs.
    Realize almost 6 pounds of that is tire!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0255.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	369.0 KB 
ID:	1232723
    Looks great! How does it ride and what were you riding before?

The dark side is quicker
    Looks great! How does it ride and what were you riding before?

Sadly, I have not had a chance to get it out in the mtns.
    They were all covered in snow and mud; didnt want to be an A$$ and go destroy the trails. Then, I got sick...almost over it though.

But, from my initial parking lot ride, it is exactly what I was looking for; soft off the top and ramps up nice. Coming from a long line of trail bikes, but most recently a SC Hightower. Will post more after I get out.

mtbr member
    Good looking rig. Is that the 29er? Size large?

Thanks!

Yes, size large.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Amazing quality. Those welds!!!

Reading through this thread makes me miss the Mutz that I had built a few years ago