Does Foes ever answer their phone or email?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Does Foes ever answer their phone or email?

I have had 2 Foes bikes in the past. I broke one frame and it took 6 months to get a warranty. Foes would never return my bike shops phone calls or mine. My bike shop ended up dropping them over the whole ordeal. It wasn't the only time they had problems with them.

Now fast forward 10 years and I have decided to buy another Foes. I have now moved and now using a different bike shop. I have tried for over a week to call Foes... no answer. The bike shop has tried calling them too... no answer.

Has the Foes customer service not changed in 10 years? I thought Id take a chance and try another bike, but now I'm second guessing myself.

Has anyone else had any problems?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    My experience has been very different and i'm not sure why your having these issues. Foes cs has been very good every time i ever needed them. Certainly if that happened to me i would b frustrated as well but i do know they are a small shop and were very busy with interbike. They have always answered the phone and over the last few weeks i was calling them about frame changes on a 29er i want built and they have worked with me and been very helpful. Hope u get through and have better luck.
    What ever you decide to do i hope your next build goes well.
    Have great day...!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    They answer my emails during working hours within minutes. Hell I normally feel like its a texting conversation. Even after hours, I will get responses. I consider them top notch. I have even gotten responses back from Brent Foes himself when it comes down to geometry/design questions.

mtbr member
    My bike shop and I called last Friday and all this week. Nothing.

mtbr member
    I've never had a problem reaching them or getting a return reply in a matter of days at the longest...been the same since 2009 when I first purchased a bike from them.

Their customer svc is pretty good and their products are outstanding. Keep trying, it's worth it.

mtbr member
    Well, they have a pink Mutz in stock. They said they would strip it and repaint it, no problem. Then a few days later they decided they would NOT do it. Nice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    NO WAY, a small company who has released 4 new bikes in just over 12 months won't do your unusual request. That is just crazy. Wait for the next batch of Mutz' to be produced, which my shop said is Nov/Dec timeframe. A company that small, dropping serious dime into prototypes and R&D, doesn't have time and money to do one off's very easily.

Hell after interbike, all those guys probably took a week off to get their lives back in order. They showed up with two brand new bikes, probably finished in the days before the event.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCHKeys View Post
    NO WAY, a small company who has released 4 new bikes in just over 12 months won't do your unusual request. That is just crazy. Wait for the next batch of Mutz' to be produced, which my shop said is Nov/Dec timeframe. A company that small, dropping serious dime into prototypes and R&D, doesn't have time and money to do one off's very easily.

Hell after interbike, all those guys probably took a week off to get their lives back in order. They showed up with two brand new bikes, probably finished in the days before the event.
    My shop didn't ask them. FOES offered to blast it and paint it, then they called 10 days later and said no they weren't going to do it. I don't mind waiting, but don't offer and they take it back 10 days later.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    DO NOT BLAST A POWDERCOATED FRAME!!!

I did that to a 2003 Bullit and it was a horrible idea.... all tolerance fits (bearings and headset) were ruined. The threads to the bottom bracket, though protected as best we could, still got galled up. Santa Cruz did it for me, and upon return to them from the blaster/powder coater, regretted the decision. We pieced it back together, but it was never right ever again. They probably thought it could be done, researched and found out that it doesn't work. I would NEVER want a frame that had been media blasted.

Front Range Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    I have had 2 Foes bikes in the past. I broke one frame and it took 6 months to get a warranty. Foes would never return my bike shops phone calls or mine. My bike shop ended up dropping them over the whole ordeal. It wasn't the only time they had problems with them.

Now fast forward 10 years and I have decided to buy another Foes. I have now moved and now using a different bike shop. I have tried for over a week to call Foes... no answer. The bike shop has tried calling them too... no answer.

Has the Foes customer service not changed in 10 years? I thought Id take a chance and try another bike, but now I'm second guessing myself.

Has anyone else had any problems?
    I've been trying for several weeks, no answers or call back...?
    :madman:

"When debating a fool, retreat is the only option"
    Richard N Busternutt

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Well I just called to see for myself and they answered, so try again.
    Besides manning the phones they also work building the bikes. Give it another shot...!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Foes here. sorry for not being able to answer your phone calls.. Shoot me an email and I can see what I can do for you? Thanks
    or you can try the phone again.. We are a super small shop, so there's a lot of running around to make things happen. my email. [email protected] thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Foes here, not sure if everyone seen my post.. first time using the forum.. if anyone needs to get a hold of us here at Foes.. Please email us.. [email protected] . com or Daniel @foesracing. com . We will do our best to get back to you. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Emailed already.

Called Foes today to ask a few questions and find out when the next batch will be available... still NO answer.

Front Range Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    Emailed already.

Called Foes today to ask a few questions and find out when the next batch will be available... still NO answer.
    No answer, no call back and now no response to email. As I try to keep emotions out of the decesion process, narrowing down my choices for my55th Bday purchase in the spring (Mutz vs Alpine Plus vs Stumpjumper 6Fattie), this doesn't help...
    :madman:

"When debating a fool, retreat is the only option"
    Richard N Busternutt

mtbr member
    Called last week and left a message with someone about a decal kit. The guy told me they would call me right back.

ITS BEEN A WEEK!!

I'm so done with Foes. I love my Mutz but I will never buy another Foes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Keep the bad karma with you, I have always had good luck. I will hopefully be buying one of the January Mutz's.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I agree ^^^ keep the bad kharma to yourself, Foes is doing a great job for such a small shop, my buddy carries Foes and he has no problem getting ahold of Dan.

Maybe they have caller id, and they have your id

Did ya all see that Foes is linking up with Wren to do a 150mm travel fork with 150mm hub spacing?

I'm gonna get me one!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Having been to the Foes shop several times and seeing the operation first hand, I think its impressive all they do with such a small shop and a couple of employees. It would be nice to afford a complete staff with nothing else to do but answer the phone but they have to work the cnc machines and all the other related equipment.
    I'm thankful for Brent's bikes and all the innovation he brings to mtb and can't wait to get a new mixer early next year.

mtbr member
    Seriously?

So its ok to not answer emails and phone calls after people buy $2500 aluminum BIKE frames? And its ok to not call people back when they finally do answer the phone.

Ok, I got it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I wish you had bought a Salsa Bucksaw....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JCHKeys View Post
    I wish you had bought a Salsa Bucksaw....
    Then he'd be mad at Salsa for not answering the phone and he'd have a broken frame

Honestly, and please not that I'm not making excuses for Foes, BUT, if I was the one busy building frames and trying to manage a small business, I'd let the phone calls go to VM and then answer calls and emails at the beginning or end of the day. Phone calls and emails don't pay the bills.

It would help if Foes had someone to answer phones, but that would increase their (our) costs and in reality many calls would require more technical expertise than an executive assistant can be expected to handle.

What I would suggest you do, which is what I do, is run everything you need from Foes through your LBS.

Keep in mind that not getting some stickers being the biggest bone of contention, well, that's kinda small taters, right?

Foes does great work, provides a service to a limited market, and has been able to stay at the table for years while many folks have gone away. I mean, just think about it:

A full suspension "production" fat bike, one of a few being built, the only one still standing that isn't built overseas by a mega corp, and the only one worth a dang!

I'd give you the stickers "off my back" if I could.

mtbr member

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

Honestly, and please not that I'm not making excuses for Foes, BUT, if I was the one busy building frames and trying to manage a small business, I'd let the phone calls go to VM and then answer calls and emails at the beginning or end of the day. Phone calls and emails don't pay the bills.

It would help if Foes had someone to answer phones, but that would increase their (our) costs and in reality many calls would require more technical expertise than an executive assistant can be expected to handle.
    This has always bugged me about some of these companies, whether it's ignoring emails en mass or shutting down for weeks at a time (usually with no notice), if you can't run your business and support your customers or have appropriate support structure in place, then you shouldn't be operating a business in the first place.

At the very least, don't have telephone numbers and email addresses if you aren't going to use them.

Yeah, the "busy building a frame" line is ok for a very small production shop/guy, that builds custom frames slowly and one a time. Several of these "manufacturers" contribute to this site and can be found building frames one at a time for customers. These are the manufacturers that make no absolute timeline promises for their bikes, but develop a following due to their dedication and delivering on what the customer paid for.

I'm sure Foes isn't any bigger than just a few couple people these days, but with this many bike lines, electronic store fronts, and advertising, they should absolutely be able to respond to their customers. Otherwise, it shows they are in way over their heads, which should be a red flag.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I contacted Foes on many occasions before I decided to pull the trigger on a Shaver frame. Brent answered the phone on time even, never had to wait more than a day for an answer. Their cs was superb for me and make a few adjustments for my purchase even. Ymmv

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have called and emailed Foes many times, never not gotten an immediate response? Excellent customer service has been my experience.