Vitamin K2 (specifically MK7)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Vitamin K2 (specifically MK7)

Not K1.

Anyone supplementing with K2 MK7?

Dr. Ford Brewer has a series on cardiac health on YouTube that I've been watching. Apparently K2 MK7 is something very few westerners get and is beneficial. Apparently Natto tastes pretty bad!

It appears to be instrumental in activating mechanisms that inhibit/reverse calcium build ups in arteries. The specific mechanism appears to be that K2 MK7 carboxylates an enzyme (ucMGP) into its active form cMGP.

The same chemical - K2 MK7 has the same carboxylating effect on Osteocalcin, activating it which promote mineralization of bones.

So....inhibits calcification in arteries while helping to prevent osteoporosis and related issues.

There is also a correlation (as opposed to an actually proven causation) in which low levels of serum osteocalcin are related to greater levels of glucose intolerance and insulin resistance, and a reduction in HbA1c

More intriguing than definitive, for sure. I've been supplementing and I haven't mutated....yet....so that's good. Not sure if I'm benefiting, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Z0eCFegWk

Cycologist
    This is a more specific version of vitamin K? K is a major factor in blood clotting, as anyone on blood thinners knows.

And I love natto! But yeah, a lot of non-Japanese don't.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

EAT MORE GRIME
    yet there are no completed trials elucidating the clinical effect of vitamin K on vascular calcification or bone strength....

so I'm sticking with my favorite food supplement for now...which is food

natto is something you need to eat, to get used to it, then you'll crave it
    much like a good beer, or coffee. first taste yuk, then you want more
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    yet there are no completed trials elucidating the clinical effect of vitamin K on vascular calcification or bone strength....
    Incorrect.

Beulens JW, Bots ML, Atsma F, et al. High dietary menaquinone intake is associated with reduced coronary calcification. Atherosclerosis. 2009;203(2):489–493.

Geleijnse JM, Vermeer C, Grobbee DE, et al. Dietary intake of menaquinone is associated with a reduced risk of coronary heart disease: the Rotterdam Study. J Nutr. 2004;134(11):3100–3105.

Theuwissen E, Smit E, Vermeer C. The role of vitamin K in soft-tissue calcification. Adv Nutr. 2012;3(2):166–173.

Knapen MH, Schurgers LJ, Vermeer C. Vitamin K2 supplementation improves hip bone geometry and bone strength indices in postmenopausal women. Osteoporos Int. 2007;18(7):963–972.

Berkner KL, Runge KW. The physiology of vitamin K nutriture and vitamin K-dependent protein function in atherosclerosis. J Thromb Haemost. 2004;2(12):2118–2132.

Garber AK, Binkley NC, Krueger DC, Suttie JW. Comparison of phylloquinone bioavailability from food sources or a supplement in human subjects. J Nutr. 1999;129(6):1201–1203.

Gast GC, de Roos NM, Sluijs I, et al. A high menaquinone intake reduces the incidence of coronary heart disease. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2009;19(7):504–510.

Schlieper G, Westenfeld R, Krόger T, et al. Circulating nonphosphorylated carboxylated matrix gla protein predicts survival in ESRD. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011;22(2):387–395.

Schurgers LJ, Barreto DV, Barreto FC, et al. The circulating inactive form of matrix gla protein is a surrogate marker for vascular calcification in chronic kidney disease: a preliminary report. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010;5(4):568–575.

Ikeda Y, Iki M, Morita A, et al. Intake of fermented soybeans, natto, is associated with reduced bone loss in postmenopausal women: Japanese Population-Based Osteoporosis (JPOS) Study. J Nutr. 2006;136(5):1323–1328.

Kaneki M, Hodges SJ, Hosoi T, et al. Japanese fermented soybean food as the major determinant of the large geographic difference in circulating levels of vitamin K2: possible implications for hip-fracture risk. Nutrition. 2001;17(4):315–321.

Sato T, Schurgers LJ, Uenishi K. Comparison of menaquinone-4 and menaquinone-7 bioavailability in healthy women. Nutr J. 2012 Nov;11:93.

Cranenburg EC, Vermeer C, Koos R, et al. The circulating inactive form of matrix Gla Protein (ucMGP) as a biomarker for cardiovascular calcification. J Vasc Res. 2008;45(5):427–436.39.

Beulens JW, Booth SL, van den Heuvel EG, Stoecklin E, Baka A, Vermeer C. The role of menaquinones (vitamin K2) in human health. Br J Nutr. 2013;110(8):1357–1368.

I suppose I could go on....

Besides, there are all sorts of situations in which supplementation makes sense. Pregnant women, post menopausal woman, the elderly, people on plant only diets, physiologically compromised individuals, those suffering from some disease processes and those on a number of medications.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    This is a more specific version of vitamin K? K is a major factor in blood clotting, as anyone on blood thinners knows.

And I love natto! But yeah, a lot of non-Japanese don't.
    Yes, K2 is different than K1.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    So,in your OP, when you asked if anyone is supplementing with this, where can one find a quality-assured form of it to try? Is it very expensive?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Incorrect.

Beulens JW, Bots ML, Atsma F, et al. High dietary menaquinone intake is associated with reduced coronary calcification. Atherosclerosis. 2009;203(2):489–493.

Geleijnse JM, Vermeer C, Grobbee DE, et al. Dietary intake of menaquinone is associated with a reduced risk of coronary heart disease: the Rotterdam Study. J Nutr. 2004;134(11):3100–3105.

Theuwissen E, Smit E, Vermeer C. The role of vitamin K in soft-tissue calcification. Adv Nutr. 2012;3(2):166–173.

Knapen MH, Schurgers LJ, Vermeer C. Vitamin K2 supplementation improves hip bone geometry and bone strength indices in postmenopausal women. Osteoporos Int. 2007;18(7):963–972.

Berkner KL, Runge KW. The physiology of vitamin K nutriture and vitamin K-dependent protein function in atherosclerosis. J Thromb Haemost. 2004;2(12):2118–2132.

Garber AK, Binkley NC, Krueger DC, Suttie JW. Comparison of phylloquinone bioavailability from food sources or a supplement in human subjects. J Nutr. 1999;129(6):1201–1203.

Gast GC, de Roos NM, Sluijs I, et al. A high menaquinone intake reduces the incidence of coronary heart disease. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2009;19(7):504–510.

Schlieper G, Westenfeld R, Krόger T, et al. Circulating nonphosphorylated carboxylated matrix gla protein predicts survival in ESRD. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011;22(2):387–395.

Schurgers LJ, Barreto DV, Barreto FC, et al. The circulating inactive form of matrix gla protein is a surrogate marker for vascular calcification in chronic kidney disease: a preliminary report. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010;5(4):568–575.

Ikeda Y, Iki M, Morita A, et al. Intake of fermented soybeans, natto, is associated with reduced bone loss in postmenopausal women: Japanese Population-Based Osteoporosis (JPOS) Study. J Nutr. 2006;136(5):1323–1328.

Kaneki M, Hodges SJ, Hosoi T, et al. Japanese fermented soybean food as the major determinant of the large geographic difference in circulating levels of vitamin K2: possible implications for hip-fracture risk. Nutrition. 2001;17(4):315–321.

Sato T, Schurgers LJ, Uenishi K. Comparison of menaquinone-4 and menaquinone-7 bioavailability in healthy women. Nutr J. 2012 Nov;11:93.

Cranenburg EC, Vermeer C, Koos R, et al. The circulating inactive form of matrix Gla Protein (ucMGP) as a biomarker for cardiovascular calcification. J Vasc Res. 2008;45(5):427–436.39.

Beulens JW, Booth SL, van den Heuvel EG, Stoecklin E, Baka A, Vermeer C. The role of menaquinones (vitamin K2) in human health. Br J Nutr. 2013;110(8):1357–1368.

I suppose I could go on....

Besides, there are all sorts of situations in which supplementation makes sense. Pregnant women, post menopausal woman, the elderly, people on plant only diets, physiologically compromised individuals, those suffering from some disease processes and those on a number of medications.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Cycologist
    My wife makes miso soup almost every day in the winter so I guess I'm covered.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    My wife makes miso soup almost every day in the winter so I guess I'm covered.
    Lucky!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    There is no probiotic I've ever consumed that has such a positive impact on my gut as miso. Wonderful stuff.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Miso.....hmmm. My current favorite is yeast, in drinkable form, from home brewed beer. It actually is pretty effective, at least psychologically.
    When I got a torso scan for cancer (years ago, since resolved/cured/gone, thank goodness) there was some calcification in various soft tissue areas. I'm taking K2 on the chance that the calcium can be redistributed.
    As to quality sources, other than natural, I'm taking Innoxivlabs K2 MK4 (500mcg) and MK7 (100mcg). I don't recall it being expensive and I can't guarantee there aren't better products. I also wouldn't take it without researching it. I'm not an expert!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I never take supplements. At 61 i am healthy and slim.
    To have a daily fermented intake i drink beer, never on an empty stomach.
    Eat european cheese, most are fermented.
    Sauerkraut. For bread i buy them with fermentation.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    There is no probiotic I've ever consumed that has such a positive impact on my gut as miso. Wonderful stuff.
    Well, Japan does have one of the longest life expectancies on the planet, well above the US. Just googled and found them at #2 (Monaco was #1). US was #43 and declining due to "higher rates of suicide and drug overdoses".