Turning 50 in May and thinking of celebrating with a MTB destination trip.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Turning 50 in May and thinking of celebrating with a MTB destination trip.

So I turn 50 in May (next year). And was thinking of landmarking it with a destination trip. I'm from the east coast and was thinking of a 3 day trip someplace.....but where? Anyone have some suggestions? I'd like to rent a carbon bike there and have lodging. I could bring my bike if neccessary.

Thinking of Colorado, Utah, ect. Wide open to suggestions!

Thanks!

just 1 more
    Moab and Fruita are 1.5 hours apart. Bucket list rides. Country that will blow your mind.

Being from the east the gravity parks with the jumps, berms, etc might be too much to assimilate to in a couple of days unless you're already into that.
    bikes, guns, dogs....perfect

mtbr member
    Why bother, you are almost dead

My buddy turned 50 last Spring and we hit Moab and rode 4 days. Scratched the surface but had an amazing time.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Why bother, you are almost dead....
    Yes. Sent us your bikes. Your wife will just give them to the charity shop...
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Any bike, anywhere, anytime.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    I agree that Moab is an outstanding option, especially since it will be so completely different than anything that exists on the East Coast. I think 3 days is too short of a trip but if that's all you can pull off, that's all you can do. The Poison Spider bike shop will have plenty of great bikes for you to choose from. The one downside to going o Moab in May is The Whole Enchilada won't be open from top to bottom.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Yes. Sent us your bikes. Your wife will just give them to the charity shop...
    Boy - tough crowd! Just think I should do something cool; memorable. Could be east too I suppose. Where I am we have rocks, rocks, rocks more than jumps and berms. Not much in the way of mountain vistas though.

Life Is Short
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisalecia View Post
    Boy - tough crowd! Just think I should do something cool; memorable. Could be east too I suppose. Where I am we have rocks, rocks, rocks more than jumps and berms. Not much in the way of mountain vistas though.
    Fly out to Mammoth Lakes
    Mammoth Bike Park

beautiful views before it snows. BTW--Travis should talk, he's losing hair like Trump
    Cheap people buy things twice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I agree that Moab is an outstanding option, especially since it will be so completely different than anything that exists on the East Coast. I think 3 days is too short of a trip but if that's all you can pull off, that's all you can do. The Poison Spider bike shop will have plenty of great bikes for you to choose from. The one downside to going o Moab in May is The Whole Enchilada won't be open from top to bottom.
    This is true. Unless we have a terrible ski year (Hope not!). But it should be open from a spot lower down... you can go to the section on Utah/Moab conditions to get a historical perspective on when it generally opens up:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/utah/moab-tra...ns-830918.html
    I would highly recommend it! Start getting your cardio up. It's only 4000 feet in Moab but the steepness more than makes up for it.
    Here's a list of Moab area trails:
    Moab Area Trails
    Come back when you're 50 and tell us how it went!