Turning 50 in May and thinking of celebrating with a MTB destination trip.- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2

    Turning 50 in May and thinking of celebrating with a MTB destination trip.

    So I turn 50 in May (next year). And was thinking of landmarking it with a destination trip. I'm from the east coast and was thinking of a 3 day trip someplace.....but where? Anyone have some suggestions? I'd like to rent a carbon bike there and have lodging. I could bring my bike if neccessary.

    Thinking of Colorado, Utah, ect. Wide open to suggestions!

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    just 1 more
    Reputation: azjeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,153
    Moab and Fruita are 1.5 hours apart. Bucket list rides. Country that will blow your mind.

    Being from the east the gravity parks with the jumps, berms, etc might be too much to assimilate to in a couple of days unless you're already into that.
    bikes, guns, dogs....perfect

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Legbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,564
    Why bother, you are almost dead

    My buddy turned 50 last Spring and we hit Moab and rode 4 days. Scratched the surface but had an amazing time.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

    Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    7,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Why bother, you are almost dead....
    Yes. Sent us your bikes. Your wife will just give them to the charity shop...
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Any bike, anywhere, anytime.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,723
    I agree that Moab is an outstanding option, especially since it will be so completely different than anything that exists on the East Coast. I think 3 days is too short of a trip but if that's all you can pull off, that's all you can do. The Poison Spider bike shop will have plenty of great bikes for you to choose from. The one downside to going o Moab in May is The Whole Enchilada won't be open from top to bottom.
    Carpe Diem!!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Yes. Sent us your bikes. Your wife will just give them to the charity shop...
    Boy - tough crowd! Just think I should do something cool; memorable. Could be east too I suppose. Where I am we have rocks, rocks, rocks more than jumps and berms. Not much in the way of mountain vistas though.

  7. #7
    Life Is Short
    Reputation: fatcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,569
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisalecia View Post
    Boy - tough crowd! Just think I should do something cool; memorable. Could be east too I suppose. Where I am we have rocks, rocks, rocks more than jumps and berms. Not much in the way of mountain vistas though.
    Fly out to Mammoth Lakes
    Mammoth Bike Park

    beautiful views before it snows. BTW--Travis should talk, he's losing hair like Trump
    Cheap people buy things twice

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,640
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I agree that Moab is an outstanding option, especially since it will be so completely different than anything that exists on the East Coast. I think 3 days is too short of a trip but if that's all you can pull off, that's all you can do. The Poison Spider bike shop will have plenty of great bikes for you to choose from. The one downside to going o Moab in May is The Whole Enchilada won't be open from top to bottom.
    This is true. Unless we have a terrible ski year (Hope not!). But it should be open from a spot lower down... you can go to the section on Utah/Moab conditions to get a historical perspective on when it generally opens up:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/utah/moab-tra...ns-830918.html
    I would highly recommend it! Start getting your cardio up. It's only 4000 feet in Moab but the steepness more than makes up for it.
    Here's a list of Moab area trails:
    Moab Area Trails
    Come back when you're 50 and tell us how it went!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-05-2015, 09:33 AM
  2. Bike trip planning. Need help for one more destination please.
    By Vincyboy in forum Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-08-2015, 06:22 AM
  3. Bike Trip - Destination Suggestions
    By Rocky Mtn in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 01-30-2015, 09:45 PM
  4. Planning a weekend trip - destination suggestions?
    By lazarus2405 in forum Pennsylvania
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-20-2012, 02:34 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-29-2011, 09:00 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.