Turning 50 - awaiting MRI- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Turning 50 - awaiting MRI

Went OTB this weekend - arm is hanging - awaiting mri - pain is a 6 -7 .

Thoughts - sell the bikes get a beach cruiser - never ride again , not worth it.

Questions - are fat tires a safer ride ?
    Am I better off FS far bike ala Farley Over a tallboy ?

Also thinking I return - drop my riding group made up of 30-40 guys and just do me ... ride my own speed and miles.

Advice - best advice ?

Admissions - covid put my core out of shape , Lotta bad eating drinking.

What do I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Just ride your own ride. No need to ride with that large of a group. I'm 58 and riding stronger than ever.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

Cycologist
    Do you run a dropper? If not, get one.

And if you do ride with a group, don't let that push you to take risks greater than you should.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Do you run a dropper? If not, get one.

And if you do ride with a group, don't let that push you to take risks greater than you should.
    This is me to a tee - feel that pressure always.

Hit a jump last year I had no business hitting and almost broke my leg.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I wouldn't want to ride with that big of a group at any age. Tried it before. Not my thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I am 66 and still out there----for sure I am more careful these days but still having fun. I ride with a few folks but we all just ride our own ride and do not get our ego into riding over our heads as we did as younger folks. A group that big seems an oddity but I do not see the size as the issue but just staying within yourself. Still a crash will happen every so often but have avoided the OTB dangerous ones

As I recall you are riding a Pivot 429Trail or had been---same bike I am riding

mtbr member
    Tell your doc you're claustrophobic and they should hook you up with some Valium.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Tell your doc you're claustrophobic and they should hook you up with some Valium.
    Ha they did !

mtbr member
    Everyone is different of course, but I am 53(in two weeks) and pushing harder than ever. Might not be as fast as I was, but for a 200+ lb guy I am hanging in. Rode with the lead group in the group ride the other night(ok, I hung off the back but always kept them in sight), but would have been just as happy with the back one too. Just gotta know when to push and when to take it easy and listen to your body. I've been dealing with a bunch of elbow tendonitis and finally broke down and got a cortisone shot last weekend. 90% better and I could tell in my rides the last week or so.

Just dont exceed your limits, but push them.

Can't do much about the last three months just jump back on when you heal and start slow. I am finally getting back in shape after a year. Used to be a couple of rides and I felt better.

Just because you are getting older doesn't mean you are old. Don't sell your bike because of one crash.

Also if your bike is older, might look at one of the new crops of slack ht angle/steep ST angle bikes. They are definitely confidence inspiring.

EMBA Member
    Main thing for me is if I dial back the speed/effort maybe 5%, the safety margin increases by much more than that. Having suffered a broken humerus on an OTB adventure I took one evening, I decided I didn't need to push quite that hard to have fun, anyway, so why risk it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    do you run a dropper? If not, get one.
    lol!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Drop the group. Testosterone kills.

mtbr member
    I ride more often, faster, and safer after dropping groups a couple years ago at 68. Will be 71 in a few weeks and ride better then I did 20 years ago.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    I ride more often, faster, and safer after dropping groups a couple years ago at 68. Will be 71 in a few weeks and ride better then I did 20 years ago.
    71! Wow

mtbr member
    50 is not old...I had a Grade 3 shoulder separation at 58 (OTB on a winter night ride). With-in 6 months I was pretty much 100% back into it (61 now). Everyone is different so take the time to recover at your pace. There will be ups and downs but stay positive and you will be back out there.

I think it's great to focus on your pace and desires vs large groups. There's too much waiting around, socializing, guys messing with their gear, deciding which way to go, etc. I choose to ride with 2-3 guys max...all with similar abilities and outlook. There's no drama, just consistently great rides. Also do a fair amount of solo's which often become some of my best rides.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Overbike, Undertrail. Ride on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon View Post
    Overbike, Undertrail. Ride on.

This. Iíve heard a lot of the youngins tell me how overbiking is boring, etc.. except overbiking takes the pain out of my otherwise old and injured body and lets me keep riding.

I had to give up the hardtail this year, and Iím looking at putting lighter wheels on my short travel bike and a lighter fork on my dh bike. Iím still in PT for hip issues for a year now, and Iíll do what I can so I can keep riding.

I gave up on groups ages ago. Too much ďhold my beer and watch this.Ē
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116154

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    lol!
    Laugh all you want, plenty of times I likely would have crashed if I hadn't been dropped or at least I would have needed to be riding slower not to do so, especially on unfamiliar trails.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Never give up, never surrender!.

Get more bike.

Ride for yourself

Quitting is worse for the health over the long term anyway.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This is all I have been doing for the past 20 years, 62 now....

"just do me ... ride my own speed and miles"

mtbr member
    Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    BTW, if you haven't tried ebikes, you don't know what you are missing. Go demo a high end one and never look back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shreddr View Post
    BTW, if you haven't tried ebikes, you don't know what you are missing. Go demo a high end one and never look back.

Do they lessen the chance of a broken collarbone?
    I brake for stinkbugs

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Wow that's cheesy. It's like from a bad poster in the bathroom of a bike shop or something.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Wow that's cheesy. It's like from a bad poster in the bathroom of a bike shop or something.

Even worse, a Lance Armstrong quote. Forgot the "..."
    I brake for stinkbugs

Out spokin'
    Part of the fun of MTBR is sorting good advice from bad. Learning to distinguish the serious from the humorous. About the time we get good at doing these, we no longer need the advice and weíre only interested in the humorous.

Everybody keeps getting older ó if theyíre lucky. 59 was when my precipitous decline began. Up until that age I was doing 100 mile races with over 17,000í gain. I look back now (8 short years later) and all I can do is shake my head and say Iím glad I did it when I could.

Best of luck, NatureBoy. Youíll be back. My advice: get away from such a large riding group. Iíve done that, itís dangerous. Thereís little camaraderie there, itís more like a mob.

Now thereís more advice... up to you to decide if itís bad or good.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Bipolar roller
    Laugh all you want, plenty of times I likely would have crashed if I hadn't been dropped or at least I would have needed to be riding slower not to do so, especially on unfamiliar trails.
    Yes, droppers are huge for preventing crashes. I just put a 170mm dropper on my new fat bike and it has saved me from going down a few times already. Also, flats. Would have had a few crashes (low speed) as well if I where running clips.
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    All great stuff , this has been an enjoyable, enlightening read.

Overbiking - I like it - I need to over armor now too - Iíve never worn any protection except some knee pads if I remembered them.
    But when I get back - and I will Iíll be using elbow pads & knees.

A great elbow pad and the very least wound have prevented the gash on my elbow right now. It may have also deadened the impact.

Groups I love the end of the ride beer but I think itís time to ride my pace / do some exploring too not just look to blow through the trail in x amount of time.
    Actually look around @ where the F Iím riding for a change.

Good stuff

Nat
    mtbr member
    Even worse, a Lance Armstrong quote. Forgot the "..."
    Ha, that is worse.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackmack View Post
    Yes, droppers are huge for preventing crashes.
    I couldnít agree more. The dropper post has allowed me to ride faster and hit more features while doing so more safely ó itís actually made me a better rider. I can say the same thing for todayís bike geo, particularly long wheelbase.

The modern mountain bike is far safer than yesterdayís high-saddle, short-wheelbase, steep-HA bike. Riders who havenít learned to exploit the dropper post donít know what theyíre missing. Iím sure of it ó I was one of those misguided souls for a long time.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    You know the answer you're looking for reinforcement. At 66 I don't do group rides. I started to late in life and I'm too big to be fast or good at it. I enjoy riding for the exercise. I do OK but I'm not pushing the edge of the envelope. As an ex-firefighter I had my thrills and near death experiences, I don't need biking to kill me. No jumps, nothing above my skill level (which is very low). Enjoy the ride.

I ride a Fuse (3.5" tires) and a Crosstrail. The Fuse is a better workout and I appreciate it.

Good luck. What was the diagnosis on the arm?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    You know the answer you're looking for reinforcement. At 66 I don't do group rides. I started to late in life and I'm too big to be fast or good at it. I enjoy riding for the exercise. I do OK but I'm not pushing the edge of the envelope. As an ex-firefighter I had my thrills and near death experiences, I don't need biking to kill me. No jumps, nothing above my skill level (which is very low). Enjoy the ride.

I ride a Fuse (3.5" tires) and a Crosstrail. The Fuse is a better workout and I appreciate it.

Significant bone bruising ,rotator bruise,
    Torn deltoid , significant impingement , significant Edema, joint effusion ; (water) Torn labrum.
    Spurring @ AC joint impinged - bursa recess - posterior subluxation.
    Compression of humeral head

Havenít met w doc yet this was on report emailed to me.

psycho cyclo addict
    Sorry to hear of your injury and the aftermath.

I'm nearing 55 and still click off ~3,700 miles per year on a gravel and small herd of mountain bikes.

I do not have a dropper post and the one full suspension bike in my stable has 120mm front and 100 rear. My other bikes are a 120mm hard tail and two rigid single speeds.

Many of my friends have 150mm front (and some rear too!) travel, dropper posts, etc. They are patient enough to wait the extra minute or so for me to catch up at times on technical descents. I have no desire to go bigger on travel because I know that it will just entice me to take more chances and potentially end up in a similar situation.

I do not bounce as well as I used to and hate being off bikes for long periods of time (both mentally and physically). My primary directive is error free rides these days.

Hope your body heals up good as new.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Gravel bike w/ MTB tires
    Rigid steel SS 29er
    Rigid titanium SS 27.5
    Full suspension 29er
    Hard Tail 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    Sorry to hear of your injury and the aftermath.

I'm nearing 55 and still click off ~3,700 miles per year on a gravel and small herd of mountain bikes.

I do not have a dropper post and the one full suspension bike in my stable has 120mm front and 100 rear. My other bikes are a 120mm hard tail and two rigid single speeds.

Many of my friends have 150mm front (and some rear too!) travel, dropper posts, etc. They are patient enough to wait the extra minute or so for me to catch up at times on technical descents. I have no desire to go bigger on travel because I know that it will just entice me to take more chances and potentially end up in a similar situation.

I do not bounce as well as I used to and hate being off bikes for long periods of time (both mentally and physically). My primary directive is error free rides these days.

Hope your body heals up good as new.
    3700 wow

Motivating!

It was a dumb mistake - Iíll bounce back - wiser.

mtbr member
    For those who didn't read the whole thread, we're advising him to ride with a dropper post while on valium.

Good luck with the healing, Nature Boy.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    For those who didn't read the whole thread, we're advising him to ride with a dropper post while on valium.

Lol

mtbr member
    I'm 56 and have been back riding for one month. Had my first wreck in well over 20 years a couple of nights ago Ė went to make a 180-degree turn on a partially paved road and overdid it a little. My left arm took the brunt and had a knot the size of a tennis ball on the outside near the elbow. Also banged my lower leg pretty good, too. I actually laughed a little as I was getting back into the saddle, sort of glad that I'd gotten it out out of the way.

Haven't done any group rides yet and may not do any. My other hobbies are fishing and upland bird hunting. Why do I like them so much? Well, one reason is because I don't need any other humans along to enjoy them fully. Same thing with riding the bike. I'm sort of a natural social-distancer, I guess.

I'm a competitive person, but if I did a group ride at this point I'd have no issue with "finishing last" by a wide margin. Nobody, but nobody is going to entice me to do anything I'm not comfortable with, and I'm not comfortable with a lot of things right now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by FatRap64 View Post
    I'm 56 and have been back riding for one month. Had my first wreck in well over 20 years a couple of nights ago Ė went to make a 180-degree turn on a partially paved road and overdid it a little. My left arm took the brunt and had a knot the size of a tennis ball on the outside near the elbow. Also banged my lower leg pretty good, too. I actually laughed a little as I was getting back into the saddle, sort of glad that I'd gotten it out out of the way.

Haven't done any group rides yet and may not do any. My other hobbies are fishing and upland bird hunting. Why do I like them so much? Well, one reason is because I don't need any other humans along to enjoy them fully. Same thing with riding the bike. I'm sort of a natural social-distancer, I guess.

I'm a competitive person, but if I did a group ride at this point I'd have no issue with "finishing last" by a wide margin. Nobody, but nobody is going to entice me to do anything I'm not comfortable with, and I'm not comfortable with a lot of things right now.
    Love it - great perspective.

Iím a little younger and I have put myself in dangerous situations to ď keep up ď w the pack / better younger riders.

Iíve also overdone it / 3 plus hours 90 degrees in the woods - terrible on the heart and breathing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    I couldnít agree more. The dropper post has allowed me to ride faster and hit more features while doing so more safely ó itís actually made me a better rider. I can say the same thing for todayís bike geo, particularly long wheelbase.

The modern mountain bike is far safer than yesterdayís high-saddle, short-wheelbase, steep-HA bike. Riders who havenít learned to exploit the dropper post donít know what theyíre missing. Iím sure of it ó I was one of those misguided souls for a long time.
    =sParty
    I was a late adapter and even later believer, partially because the original dropper mechanism on the Reverb was a PITA, but once I bought a Transfer with a "paddle" mechanism it was a game changer.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDakSooner View Post
    Everyone is different of course, but I am 53(in two weeks) and pushing harder than ever. Might not be as fast as I was, but for a 200+ lb guy I am hanging in. Rode with the lead group in the group ride the other night(ok, I hung off the back but always kept them in sight), but would have been just as happy with the back one too. Just gotta know when to push and when to take it easy and listen to your body. I've been dealing with a bunch of elbow tendonitis and finally broke down and got a cortisone shot last weekend. 90% better and I could tell in my rides the last week or so.

Just dont exceed your limits, but push them.

Can't do much about the last three months just jump back on when you heal and start slow. I am finally getting back in shape after a year. Used to be a couple of rides and I felt better.

Just because you are getting older doesn't mean you are old. Don't sell your bike because of one crash.
    This is me almost to a T (as in Texas as in Hook 'em ) but I'm 55. I fractured my neck at age 49 rolling TOO SLOW down a 2-3 foot drop, tire turned in soft dirt at the bottom and I lawn darted. Since that time, I've dialed up the momentum and "if in doubt, punch it" mentality....but I don't try to convince myself to do jumps, features, etc that I know I shouldn't. That being said, I do stuff at 55 I never did at 45 because my skills have actually increased from pushing myself.

I may not be as fast going up as I once was but I'm probably in the best riding shape I've been in for over 20+ years due to getting out more. I'm one of those that gave C19 the middle finger and kept riding.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    This is me almost to a T (as in Texas as in Hook 'em ) but I'm 55. I fractured my neck at age 49 rolling TOO SLOW down a 2-3 foot drop, tire turned in soft dirt at the bottom and I lawn darted. Since that time, I've dialed up the momentum and "if in doubt, punch it" mentality....but I don't try to convince myself to do jumps, features, etc that I know I shouldn't. That being said, I do stuff at 55 I never did at 45 because my skills have actually increased from pushing myself.

I may not be as fast going up as I once was but I'm probably in the best riding shape I've been in for over 20+ years due to getting out more. I'm one of those that gave C19 the middle finger and kept riding.
    Agree Too slow - Iíve taken my worst falls 5 mph under.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=TheNatureBoy;14804097]Significant bone bruising ,rotator bruise,
    Torn deltoid , significant impingement , significant Edema, joint effusion ; (water) Torn labrum.

The good news is some of that stuff is old. Spurs, impingement don't occur overnight-you can light up an mri and never have symptoms-well until you crash

even better news is after they repair the labrum for the posterior sublux they shave all of that spurring and arthritis out of there making some space for the impinged tendons. Its a process but you'll come out of it well.

Now, you can go conservative with pain meds, and an injection or 2 and some good physical therapy. If it improves and feels good and you can do what you need to do then no need for surgery.

And you're the Nature Boy??? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

get better soon.

mtbr member
    Not sure what defines a "group" for you but I have much more fun riding with others. It doesn't have to be 20 people but every Saturday, we usually have 4-6 guys riding. I'd ride a lot less if I had to ride solo all the time...and I definitely take it easier when I do ride solo.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    [QUOTE=J-Bone;14805719]
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    Significant bone bruising ,rotator bruise,

The good news is some of that stuff is old. Spurs, impingement don't occur overnight-you can light up an mri and never have symptoms-well until you crash

even better news is after they repair the labrum for the posterior sublux they shave all of that spurring and arthritis out of there making some space for the impinged tendons. Its a process but you'll come out of it well.

Now, you can go conservative with pain meds, and an injection or 2 and some good physical therapy. If it improves and feels good and you can do what you need to do then no need for surgery.

And you're the Nature Boy??? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

get better soon.
    Good to know thanx !

mtbr member
    We've all "overdone it." The lucky one's get to tell the tale when they are older.

Mine was having a near death experience surfing in a tropical storm. I got cocky having surfed in a hurricane a week before and survived. After the hurricane experience, my wife was quick to point out I was by far the oldest out there (like by 40 years) and scared the crap out of her. She said she was not going to watch me anymore.

Sometimes you have to know when to call it a day. I figured that out after becoming one with a sandbar that didn't exist before the hurricane. After three surgeries to put things back together, I totally avoid big waves, falling off bikes or skiing off cliffs. There is no shame in saying "no."

Now I gladly ride solo and know there is not a technical trail I can not walk.

Being a misanthrope is healthy.

Get well. You are now gifted with a great tale to tell.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You guys don't fall much, I'm jealous.

I'm 71, ride 5 times a week, 180 travel front and rear.

I'm in France now, pyrenees, and it's been raining a lot. Rocks are super slippery, so i fall at least once a day.
    With armor though, i just get up and keep going.

Riding better too, my current nemesis are tight switchbacks, tighter than I've ever seen in Tahoe. And steep.

Single track here was originally for walkers, do steep and tight corners. Some i can't make, might need nose wheelies, not there though.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nice. Seems like I'm always riding wet rocks and roots in the east. Narrow, wet, bridges scare the crap out of me.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post

I'm in France now, pyrenees, and it's been raining a lot. Rocks are super slippery, so i fall at least once a day.
    Sick!
    =s
    disciplesofdirt.org

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Heal and get back on the horse.

Went otb in late 2018 at 53. Blew up my shoulder. Surgery. Thought about it all.

After pt I realized I hadn't really fully adapted to new geo. Relearned a lot of things. Ditched spds after 20 or so years. Started riding with people way better than me. Bigger rides mixed with techy rides.

55 next week. Fitter than I've been in a long while. Riding blacks and hitting jumps. Crashing way less than before. Nothing amazing but having a lot of fun and feeling good.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nice. Seems like I'm always riding wet rocks and roots in the east. Narrow, wet, bridges scare the crap out of me.
    I dismount and walk across narrow, wet bridges now.

My last wipeout (3 years ago!) happened during the transition from wet bridge to gravel. My front tire had traction while the slick rear came out from under me. Dang, less than a mile from home on a 20 mile ride.

Scraped up right hip and forearm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    We've all "overdone it." The lucky one's get to tell the tale when they are older.

Mine was having a near death experience surfing in a tropical storm. I got cocky having surfed in a hurricane a week before and survived. After the hurricane experience, my wife was quick to point out I was by far the oldest out there (like by 40 years) and scared the crap out of her. She said she was not going to watch me anymore.

Sometimes you have to know when to call it a day. I figured that out after becoming one with a sandbar that didn't exist before the hurricane. After three surgeries to put things back together, I totally avoid big waves, falling off bikes or skiing off cliffs. There is no shame in saying "no."

Now I gladly ride solo and know there is not a technical trail I can not walk.

Being a misanthrope is healthy.

Get well. You are now gifted with a great tale to tell.
    Wow - thatís nuts

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    What I hit a wet root ny state

mtbr member
    bbbbbbbbbbbbuuuuuhhhhh bad to the bone!!!! Hell Yeah. I hope I ride that much in my 70's. 47 now and riding more than I ever have. and as a result I fall a bit more often cuz I am at it more often. Better than crushing a sofa cushion.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    You guys don't fall much, I'm jealous.

Riding better too, my current nemesis are tight switchbacks, tighter than I've ever seen in Tahoe. And steep.

Single track here was originally for walkers, do steep and tight corners. Some i can't make, might need nose wheelies, not there though.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Went OTB this weekend - arm is hanging - awaiting mri - pain is a 6 -7 .

Thoughts - sell the bikes get a beach cruiser - never ride again , not worth it.
    What do I do?

Step 1. Figure out what's wrong, medically.
    Step 2. Heal up.
    Step 3. Then decide.

When I was going through pilot training in the Navy, I had to eject from an A-4, after it blew up and disintegrated around me.

Checking into my first squadron, an F-8 squadron full of Vietnam era fighter pilots, I stepped up to the CO's desk and smartly saluted (I had a name tag that read "CRASH").

He asked, "Why is your callsign crash"? To which I responded, "I had to eject out of an A-4". He said "ONE A-4"? I said "Yes sir"!
    He then said, "You can't have CRASH as a callsign in THIS squadron until you've jumped out of three airplanes"!

So, you had a bad wreck?
    ONE bad wreck?
    Come back when you've had 3 really bad wrecks and then complain about it!

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    So, you had a bad wreck?
    ONE bad wreck?
    Come back when you've had 3 really bad wrecks and then complain about it!
    Ha!

This one time at Band Camp on a night ride about 25 years ago I rode off a cliff into the blackness and snapped four ribs when I landed on my side on a pointy rock 8í below. Lucky it wasnít my head. Then about 15 years later I slipped on a wet root (we have a lot of slippery roots here in the Land Of Old Growth Forests), breaking my left collarbone in the process. Just eleven months after that during a moment of inattention at high speed I experienced what is commonly referred to as a yard sale and broke the same collarbone in the same place. Dang.

Those are just the first three wrecks that come to mind. There are more. Many more.

You can call me Crash, I guess. :P

Nature Boy, best of luck healing. Donít give up.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Any of us that have been riding since the 80's (or longer) are named crash. My friends and I are Team Crash. I once had a season that started with broken ribs, crescendoed with a broken ankle, and ended with more broken ribs. It's when I haven't had an injury in a while that I become worried. Speaking of which, I'm due.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    You can call me Crash, I guess. :P
    =sParty
    Yeah, I think we've all earned it in this forum!

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    You will be alright. The Nature Boy Rick Flair comes back from anything 😜

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Ha! This x 1,000.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I'm about to be 59, still ride hard and in some respects, ride better than I did in my 30s. I ride my own pace, I like to climb so I have a really low gear that saves my knees. I'm slow to go up, but I go. I have no problem saying hello to the even older folks passing me with their walkers.

The one habit I need to get out of, in a crash, I'm really good at using my body to protect my bike. I'm finding now that's it's faster to wait for a new bike part than the time it takes me to heal.......

Riding an FS bike has really helped with the rest of the body too, the draw back is going a lot faster than I probably should on the way down.

Oh, and I usually ride alone, maybe one or two other people. Big groups are not my thing.

High Desert MTBer
    I wish you a speedy recovery! My advice, for what it's worth, is to ditch the group and ride on your own for a while. Or maybe just with one or two others you know well. That way you can master your capabilities, then begin to extend them.
    I've been riding off road since I was about 5 years old, and I'm 64 now. Always had bikes that I would take anywhere, and while it is better to have the right tool for the job, you can have as much fun on a klunker as a 10k bike. You have to know the limits of your machinery, and of yourself.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I'm 66 years old, and have been diagnosed for years as suffering from Meniere's disease.
    Lately I've experienced a change in the symp[toms, so I've been going to a Doc who's a neurologist. I gotta go get another MRI of my head on Monday. But I still ride, and I still teach Tai Chi to cardiac patients.
    I'd just like to know what the heck is going on in there.
    Just call me Ray

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    It made me think of a sign on the bathroom wall in a Chiropractor's office that said, "You don't need to receive Chiropractic treatment all your life.....only for as long as you want to experience good health".
    Just call me Ray

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Well Iíve been riding solo - so far best decision ever.

Negative ó CT scan shows torn labrum plus Bankart fracture of socket.

4 weeks to see improvement or surgery; sling 6 weeks , 6 mos 100% recovery.

F ugghhh

Thank you for all the feedback!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Well.. sorry for you troubles I have a tear in my Labrum I did PT (no surgery ..for now)

I am also dumb as I went on a pretty epic ride last weekend, with my buddy who is also 50~ like myself.. but who is an ex Pro DH racer... things got a bit out of my comfort zone .... happily despite nearly going otb into a cactus (which would have been super unpleasant)... I survived without injury.

After I came to my senses and stopped trying to keep up with him on the downhill runs, was a pretty fun time.... but yeah crashing and getting hella messed up is getting to be a concern...

god knows I'm much less likely to walk away from a big crash then 30~20yrs ago...

I'm torn as I like to get out and ride with people.... but sometimes I like going by myself... so if I get to something and I'm not feeling it I can just nope out, without messing up other people's ride/ looking like a wuss...

happily on the weekend... I was feeling pretty good... even nearly dying on the first downhill section didn't mess with my stoke... generally nearly dying kinda puts me off... but I was feeling it apparently on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by atarione View Post
    Well.. sorry for you troubles I have a tear in my Labrum I did PT (no surgery ..for now)

I am also dumb as I went on a pretty epic ride last weekend, with my buddy who is also 50~ like myself.. but who is an ex Pro DH racer... things got a bit out of my comfort zone .... happily despite nearly going otb into a cactus (which would have been super unpleasant)... I survived without injury.

After I came to my senses and stopped trying to keep up with him on the downhill runs, was a pretty fun time.... but yeah crashing and getting hella messed up is getting to be a concern...

god knows I'm much less likely to walk away from a big crash then 30~20yrs ago...

I'm torn as I like to get out and ride with people.... but sometimes I like going by myself... so if I get to something and I'm not feeling it I can just nope out, without messing up other people's ride/ looking like a wuss...

happily on the weekend... I was feeling pretty good... even nearly dying on the first downhill section didn't mess with my stoke... generally nearly dying kinda puts me off... but I was feeling it apparently on Sunday.
    How does the labrum feel? Iím doing accu and chiro therapy ... right now I feel continuous popping and rolling.

You can get a great MTB ride by hitting xc trails , keeping climbs and drops at a chill level.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    How does the labrum feel? Iím doing accu and chiro therapy ... right now I feel continuous popping and rolling.

You can get a great MTB ride by hitting xc trails , keeping climbs and drops at a chill level.

Hey,

So in my case for the most part my shoulder is ~ok... after the PT... however If I really exert myself / my shoulder i get soreness / pain....I don't really get pops or anything in my case...

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post

I applaud your post, Chief. I'm 66 too. That is my exact approach to riding. I use it as PT first, getting close to nature second. A close second. I still work and will be until I die. No need here for anything to brag about whatsoever. We could save our overburdened healthcare system a lot AND extend the quality and the span of our lives by following your advice. Here here.......
    Just call me Ray

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post

Only valium?

EDIT: in case you had not guessed, I have memory issues........
    Just call me Ray

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    I applaud your post, Chief. I'm 66 too. That is my exact approach to riding. I use it as PT first, getting close to nature second. A close second. I still work and will be until I die. No need here for anything to brag about whatsoever. We could save our overburdened healthcare system a lot AND extend the quality and the span of our lives by following your advice. Here here.......

I don't think hard charging mountain bikers are clogging our healthcare system, couch surfing Cheeto munchers are more to blame even though they may never injure their bones.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I don't think hard charging mountain bikers are clogging our healthcare system, couch surfing Cheeto munchers are more to blame even though they may never injure their bones.
    You got a point there. But there's a middle, ideal ground on this topic that would be better. Plenty of exercise to be had on the trails without feeling obliged to jump something stupid. I should know. I've got more retained hardware in my body than you would wanna believe.
    Just call me Ray

mtbr member
    couch surfing Cheeto munchers
    That is a bike team I could be on

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Dont be a *****, never give up. I was in ICU at 57 in the beginning of June with massive blood clots in both lungs, and lost 5-10% of my left upper lobe due to infarction. They told me I had a mass in my lung and it was probably cancer which means stage 3 or 4. Lucky it was just the infarction after my PET scan.

I still had 78 miles logged in June and was up to 30 miles of street riding by the 29th.

Just did 13 miles and climbed 2000' that pushed me way to hard. But I made it.

You can do it if you just make up your mind. The only reason I recovered in record time was because of my bike riding strength, without it, it could have killed me. So get your ass back out there ASAP

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    So true, one of my best older doctors was using a cane, from a mnt bike wreck lol. I would have probably died on May 30 when massive blood clots hit me in both lungs, i was in ICU for 5 days, at first thought I had covid as I could not catch my breath. June 1rst in ICU I had a massive one hit me the blood thinners knocked loose, they had to bring in the crash cart and were getting ready to do a Keto drip, and ended up just putting me on morphine from the lung pain. Lost 5-10% of left lung.

I have recovered to about 70% in the last 4 weeks, which still places me way over a normal persons health. All due to my biking health that I went in with. Still have a few small clots that need to clear up, and more strength is coming back ever day, little by little.

9 lives
    ^ Jesus, thankfully you are recovering and continuing on that road. You will come back stronger than before !
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies